Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiohead: What happened?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 03:50
^ Not full-blown 'Prog' as we are so familiar with, but whatever Rock, incorporating 'Prog' characteristics/stylings.
Radiohead, The Pineapple Thief, even the French band Air, all fit here, somewhere.....
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 05:49
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

As you can see, and as everybody can see as well, the audience is roaring always when they were started playing Creep in 90s due to the fact that their 90s audience was 99,9% the mainstream alt.rock audience, not prog audience
That also means that the middle of 90s and the second half of decade represents undoubtedly the heydays of career of, at the time, very mainstreamy alt.rock band called Radiohead, and I couldn't care less if they were "an answer to U.S. grunge" or not.
Kid A, released in 2000, is an artistic peak of their career without a doubt, and the only one Radiohead's album that we, say, "original" prog fans, who were growing up with the 70s prog rock acts (btw, we are a "nasty" audience who was learned that a drunk singer at the stage could be only sh*t LOL) could call progressive rock  album.

Sadly, after Kid A, undoubtedly comes the qualitative decline of the band' studio work, and over the past 15 years they have not recorded anything that could be even compare with that really great impression of Kid A the album. For us, the fans of progressive rock who were listening to and saw live in our youth THE artists as Yes, Jethro Tull, Zappa, etc., as current acts as well,  there is nothing interesting released by Radiohead before and after Kid A the album and a few proggy songs from OK Computer as e.g. Exit Music (Music For A Film) as well.

*Sigh*. Still can't do any actual research. Anyone can post a string of pointless videos from Youtube and it doesn't mean sh*t. At no point did I say that Creep wasn't popular, for many people it's the only song of Pablo Honey that they know (myself included) but a quick search of the internet shows that The Bends, OK Computer and Kid A all massively outsold Pablo Honey both worldwide an in the UK. That paints a very clear picture that the hight of their popularity was the late 90's/early 2000's, which is completely usurprising to anybody that lives in the UK (like me).

As for your jibes about them not being prog, couldn't care less as I'm not a fan of theirs in the slightest.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 07:43
To these ears everything from Ok Computer onward is progressive rock with their best albums being Kid A & Ok Computer, I find good interesting stuff in all those post OC albums. I've long since ignored Svet & his multiple alter ego's opinions. This does seem to be a strange position for a person who's approach to recommendations is to carpet bomb anything tagged progressive on bandcamp. Maybe if Radiohead were new and relatively unknown he'd have seen the tagging and recommended them.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - August 22 2015 at 07:45
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 07:51
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

To these ears everything from Ok Computer onward is progressive rock with their best albums being Kid A & Ok Computer, I find good interesting stuff in all those post OC albums. I've long since ignored Svet & his multiple alter ego's opinions. This does seem to be a strange position for a person who's approach to recommendations is to carpet bomb anything tagged progressive on bandcamp. Maybe if Radiohead were new and relatively unknown he'd have seen the tagging and recommended them.

Well saidClap. A lot of the stuff tagged as "progressive rock" or "prog rock" on Bandcamp (which is an excellent resource, but - like everything else - not perfect) is run-of-the-mill, uninteresting pap. The prog niche is oversaturated, and quality control has become essential.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 07:54
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

If they were as an unknow band at Bandcamp with an album and if that album was Kid A , that's 90% that I would suggest Radiohead for PA; perhaps the suggestion would be accepted, but also there is a possibility that without a nice memory of Creep that the band sadly get "NO" with an explanation that is a nice experimental rock album but not prog at all.

Edited by Svetonio - August 22 2015 at 08:03
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 09:37
As the great Rick Wakeman famously said: "Sorry Radiohead, but you're prog."
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 10:48
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

As the great Rick Wakeman famously said: "Sorry Radiohead, but you're prog."

Hands down! Clap

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/yes-progrock-of-the-seventies-is-back-says-rick-wakeman-8679984.html

Quote Yes, prog-rock of the Seventies is back, says Rick Wakeman

Sunday 30 June 2013

Clubbers who have made "Get Lucky" this summer's dance-floor anthem will be shocked to hear that Daft Punk aren't the robot-friendly sound of the future – but revivalists of Seventies progressive rock, once the most derided of genres.

(...) Meanwhile, Rick Wakeman, keyboardist with Yes, is about to capitalise on the revival with a new multimedia touring version of his 1974 landmark solo album, Journey to the Centre of the Earth. Wakeman says Daft Punk, the French techno duo responsible for the million-selling single "Get Lucky", are as prog as they come. Inspired by Pink Floyd's album Dark Side of the Moon, the band employed live musicians on vintage synthesisers for their album Random Access Memories, which included one nine-minute song.

"They are going back to the prog ethos that there are no rules, no one is going to stop you experimenting. You aren't restricted to the three-minute single any more," said Wakeman. "That goes back to the early days of prog."

He added: "I know Radiohead say they aren't prog but, sorry chaps, you are, and it's brilliant."

Clap Clap

Edited by Svetonio - August 22 2015 at 11:23
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 11:21
I can't remember precisely, but I think that Amnesiac is probably my favorite album. 

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 12:08
My personal fav of post-Kid A stuff:

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 12:35

Sounds like a Pink Floyd outtake from either More or Obscured By Clouds.......I guess it qualifies as prog on that basis.

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 12:37
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

Those of you saying Radiohead isn't prog are listening to the wrong Radiohead. Pablo Honey, their debut and undoubtedly most radio-friendly, is what many people consider to be the sole indicator of their style. Kid A and Ok Computer, on the other hand, are full-blown prog masterpieces. While they're overtly "commercially friendly" and you might find that some "normal" music listeners seem to like them too, that doesn't mean it's not prog. Like come on, how can you not think this is prog?

It's not Genesis, obviously, but it has just about everything prog relies on - fusion of classical and jazz elements, free song structure, experimental instrumentation, and a basis this time in indie rock rather than the classic rock of the 70s. The band is clearly crossover prog, fusing very much so prog elements with more modern and commercially-friendly rock elements. Obviously they're not for everyone, but they are very much so prog.

And that sounds like something that could be from a Flaming Lips album and they aren't listed as prog here either.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 12:40
Meh, TNA is probably my least favorite Radiohead song.
How about this one instead?

Oops, I confused "The National Anthem" (which I love) with "Motion Picture Soundtrack" (which I do not like).

Still, "Pyramid Song" is the greatest!

Edited by infocat - August 22 2015 at 12:47
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 13:11
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Sounds like a Pink Floyd outtake from either More or Obscured By Clouds.......I guess it qualifies as prog on that basis.

LOL
I do prefer Obscured By Clouds  over The Dark Side of the Moon Big smile Yes, I like that song.

p.s. On other side, I don't like for example House of Cards from In Rainbows, a very popular Radiohead song which is basically  an original Jamaica 60s ska, what I don't like.

Edited by Svetonio - August 23 2015 at 07:10
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2015 at 23:35

Those of you saying Radiohead isn't prog are listening to the wrong Radiohead. Pablo Honey, their debut and undoubtedly most radio-friendly, is what many people consider to be the sole indicator of their style. Kid A and Ok Computer, on the other hand, are full-blown prog masterpieces. While they're overtly "commercially friendly" and you might find that some "normal" music listeners seem to like them too, that doesn't mean it's not prog. Like come on, how can you not think this is prog?

It's not Genesis, obviously, but it has just about everything prog relies on - fusion of classical and jazz elements, free song structure, experimental instrumentation, and a basis this time in indie rock rather than the classic rock of the 70s. The band is clearly crossover prog, fusing very much so prog elements with more modern and commercially-friendly rock elements. Obviously they're not for everyone, but they are very much so prog.
In my humble opinion, a mainstream alt.rock band with one prog album should be in Prog Related section.

You've proven time and time again that you do not understand how our genre sections work, so it does not surprise me PR vexes you as well. Radiohead is very clearly a crossover band, not a PR band. And they have more than one prog album, as I would say everything they've made since Ok Computer can be considered prog.

And I still don't understand why you think Creep is the band's peak - Yes' biggest hit was likely Owner of a Lonely Heart, yet you don't see anyone on this forum saying 90125 was their best album. It's possible for an album to be popular without it being their best.
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fudgenuts64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 00:35
Kid A is one of the essential modern prog albums - they've been keeping up just fine. To be fair, I'm not a major fan anymore, but that is a significant record. OK Computer is proggy, but Kid A onwards I would easily consider Radiohead a prog band.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 01:03
Perhaps only by default - I don't know if Yorke and the boys set out to be 'Prog' per se, but they were intent on creating a new and unique sound/style. And that's Prog in my books !!
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 02:05

In my humble opinion, a mainstream alt.rock band with one prog album should be in Prog Related section.
(...) And I still don't understand why you think Creep is the band's peak (...)
At the previous page I wrote this:

Quote (...) Kid A, released in 2000, is an artistic peak of their career without a doubt (...)

Actually, it is in my reply to sleeper when we debated, slightly off the topic, about Radiohead heydays. I think that their heydays, as mainstreamy alt.rock band, was in the middle to second half of 90s. Then they changed their music direction and went in Art Rock with Kid A in my opinion.
Yea I know that "Art Rock" the tag is replaced with "Crossover Prog" and "Prog Related" the tags, and I wrote few words about it also at previous page:

Quote ]There was a nice and accurate tag for that, and it's Art Rock. These are albums such as 10cc' The Original Soundtrack, Roxy Music's debut album, the first solo album by Brian Eno, David Silvian's Brilliant Trees, Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden or Kid A by Radiohead. Amazing English Art Rock what have a long tail in 60s with The Beatles' A Day In The Life  the song... Why "we" were replaced such historical term with "crossover prog", and in some cases "prog related", I have no idea

I hope that I made it now a bit more clear for your understanding.

Edited by Svetonio - August 23 2015 at 02:25
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 07:11
LOLConfusedAngryDead

If you can't win join em - or maybe better yet: if you can't win, change your goalpost and the other person's argument by cutting his/her posts into smithereens. 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 07:29
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

And that sounds like something that could be from a Flaming Lips album and they aren't listed as prog here either.
Wink
...Or Coldplay maybe Wink

They also broke through the barrier of 3 minute pop song LOL
Joking aside, there is something in singing what exactly separates the English Prog from that English Art Rock.

Edited by Svetonio - August 23 2015 at 07:53
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2015 at 07:47
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

When OK Computer hit the airwaves, people were lauding Radiohead as the 'next Pink Floyd'. So, what happened to Radiohead? And why are they now dwarfed by Swilson by prog fans, amongst others?

Actually I wouldn't have gotten into Radiohead nor would I have found this site searching for info on them if Steven Wilson hadn't put in the good word for them on his website back in 2006 when Porcupine tree was still very active and alive. 

As to what happened.  I don't really care.  If they put out new music, I'll be interested, if they don't there are plenty of other good new fishes out there in the proggy sea...

And by the way -

You've proven time and time again that you do not understand how our genre sections work, so it does not surprise me PR vexes you as well. Radiohead is very clearly a crossover band, not a PR band. And they have more than one prog album, as I would say everything they've made since Ok Computer can be considered prog.

And I still don't understand why you think Creep is the band's peak - Yes' biggest hit was likely Owner of a Lonely Heart, yet you don't see anyone on this forum saying 90125 was their best album. It's possible for an album to be popular without it being their best.

Well put Andy I find the Radiohead haters boring and unprogressive in their music appreciation. Wink

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 23 2015 at 07:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>