Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgressive Ears forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2015 at 00:39
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

A lot easier to read and post at PE. They don't have 700 forums lol
Bye then, don't let the  door hit you on the arse as you leave. 

This place needs people like me. Maybe you leave instead LOL
It's a tempting offer, but not from you.
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2015 at 01:11
How is *easier to read with less forums* better?  Prog fans love complicated nonsense, that's why they listen to prog.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2015 at 03:10
Originally posted by darksinger darksinger wrote:

I am one of the "retrograde pro-gun republicans" for the record...

I wasn't specifically thinking of you, Jen... I don't consider you retrogradHug.... but a Censored damn weirdo, that's for sureTongueWink

I mean, you'd probably end up on an inquisition pyre (along with me and most of others here and PE) set up by that PE army dude and CavGator & Co.

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

How is *easier to read with less forums* better?  Prog fans love complicated nonsense, that's why they listen to prog.

Actually, they've got a (good) point... to many corner to check out the threads and the responses where you posted... This was complicated in the 1.0 version of the PA forum, but M@X further complicated it, by augmenting the lounges and sub-lounges a few years later..; Over there (PE), you've got three places/lounges (max 4) to check out for new threads...And all the non-music stuff is in one other mounge

The PA forums and lounges are just as complicated than those genres and subgenres we got here...

Edited by Sean Trane - September 24 2015 at 03:14
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2015 at 08:50
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Again it's subjective just like how we define prog itself.....
I like the format here better and the fact that there are all kinds of different topics and not just music oriented.
IMO many of the threads there are simply uninteresting.

And they are all interesting here?

Of course not....I can think of many here  that are simply silly ,but
as I said it's  subjective.
...perhaps you missed that Ian...?
Wink

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
darksinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2015 at 10:55
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I wasn't specifically thinking of you, Jen... I don't consider you retrogradHug.... but a Censored damn weirdo, that's for sureTongueWink

I mean, you'd probably end up on an inquisition pyre (along with me and most of others here and PE) set up by that PE army dude and CavGator & Co.

oh, you just don't know how weird Big smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2015 at 11:30
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Yes, this a forum where people can express opinions, up to a certain point. There are many extremely knowledgeable members on this site and opinions that don't hold water are easy to shake out. Having so many knowledgeable people in one place is also extremely enjoyable to me, as I pick up something new at least a good portion of the time.

All members can't be experts in genres like krautrock or RIO/Avant, so opinions from people who are is welcome, at least to me.

It is the opinion of P.A. members that I am expressing opinion instead of fact. It is a fact that a majority of P.A. members disagree with the truth because they think it's an opinion and not a fact.
My statement was not meant to be exclusive, Todd. I said that PA was a place that people can express opinions. I never said opinions were exclusive to PA discussions.
I good friend of mine was electrocuted on stage before the advent of the safer wireless age. He survived. My saying that wireless is a good thing is more fact than opinion. Do you agree?

Yes I agree with that. I don't agree with many opinions on this site. An opinion as such that would express for example that the King Crimson album RED is better musically than their first 4 albums. I wouldn't think of it as better if I did like it. If I disliked the first 4 K.C. albums, I would still have respect for what went into them. I could say for example that I prefer the style on RED more so than the early albums, but I wouldn't arrive to some bogus offensive conclusion that they hadn't reached their peak until RED based on my personal liking for RED. That is mainly how people take their opinion and attach aspects to it in order to defend it or prove that it is better than anyone else's or attempt to make it seem as a fact. 
Opinions still have to based on some mitigating conclusion in order for them to be persuasive. I feel that the Roger Waters solo album Amused To Death is subpar to any of his Floyd albums as ATD lacks a cathartic or climatic ending as opposed to albums like the Wall. It offers no solutions, it only states the problems. Some would see that as heresy, but what else can one do? Just say that the album is not to my liking and offer no reason?

I suppose it's easier for me to view other people's opinions as subjective, and harder for some others. If someone can't take them with a grain of salt, it could be quite irritating.

Edited by SteveG - September 24 2015 at 16:16
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2015 at 11:32

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Again it's subjective just like how we define prog itself.....
I like the format here better and the fact that there are all kinds of different topics and not just music oriented.
IMO many of the threads there are simply uninteresting.

And they are all interesting here?

Of course not....I can think of many here  that are simply silly ,but
as I said it's  subjective.
...perhaps you missed that Ian...?
Wink

No, I was just surprised you called out PE specifically for that issue, I'd say both sites are about 75% uninteresting. TongueWink
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2015 at 12:05

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

oh, you just don't know how weird Big smile

Ooooohhhh!!!!... I think I got a puuuurty good idea.....Evil SmileClownWackoNuke

Though I may be still quite under the reality .... TonguePinchBeer

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2015 at 12:38
OK, well... but stating that PA's "artificial subgenres" have a corrupting influence on younger, would-be prog fans - as someone recently wrote on PE in the thread dedicated to PA - seems just a tad far-fetched, if you ask me. As the person responsible for the "eclectic" definition, such outbursts tend to get a bit under my skin. And now that I've come out as the culprit of that awful crimeWink, you can come and bash me - only, if you don't mind, do it here, and not behind my back.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2015 at 18:11

^Yes, this a forum where people can express opinions, up to a certain point. There are many extremely knowledgeable members on this site and opinions that don't hold water are easy to shake out. Having so many knowledgeable people in one place is also extremely enjoyable to me, as I pick up something new at least a good portion of the time.

All members can't be experts in genres like krautrock or RIO/Avant, so opinions from people who are is welcome, at least to me.

It is the opinion of P.A. members that I am expressing opinion instead of fact. It is a fact that a majority of P.A. members disagree with the truth because they think it's an opinion and not a fact.
My statement was not meant to be exclusive, Todd. I said that PA was a place that people can express opinions. I never said opinions were exclusive to PA discussions.
I good friend of mine was electrocuted on stage before the advent of the safer wireless age. He survived. My saying that wireless is a good thing is more fact than opinion. Do you agree?

Yes I agree with that. I don't agree with many opinions on this site. An opinion as such that would express for example that the King Crimson album RED is better musically than their first 4 albums. I wouldn't think of it as better if I did like it. If I disliked the first 4 K.C. albums, I would still have respect for what went into them. I could say for example that I prefer the style on RED more so than the early albums, but I wouldn't arrive to some bogus offensive conclusion that they hadn't reached their peak until RED based on my personal liking for RED. That is mainly how people take their opinion and attach aspects to it in order to defend it or prove that it is better than anyone else's or attempt to make it seem as a fact. 
Opinions still have to based on some mitigating conclusion in order for them to be persuasive. I feel that the Roger Waters solo album Amused To Death is subpar to any of his Floyd albums as ATD lacks a cathartic or climatic ending as opposed to albums like the Wall. It offers no solutions, it only states the problems. Some would see that as heresy, but what else can one do? Just say that the album is not to my liking and offer no reason?

I suppose it's easier for me to view other people's opinions as subjective, and harder for some others. If someone can't take them with a grain of salt, it could be quite irritating.

You can offer your opinion that you like the Waters album better than the Floyd material. You can also state that you personally feel the Floyd albums are weaker, but not in such a way that you are stating a fact..because that is not honest for everyone. People won't care if you feel that the Floyd albums are weaker because that is your preference or taste, but to say..."They are weak" when in reality they are not is opinion not fact. If you say...."They are weak and in a sense where it sounds as if you are trying to say they are weak for everyone or that they are just plainly weak is wrongful and not logically correct in the musical academic sense. It might very well be a fact that musically academically they are more technical or more of a challenge to play or cover with a unit. And so regarding fact, that might put the definition of weak 6 foot under, when realistically it is only your opinion. I dislike the later Mahavishnu Orchestra material to a degree when I compare it to Inner Mounting Flame and Birds Of Fire, but guess what? Try assembling a band to cover the material on Apocalypse and Emerald Beyond and see for yourself how wrong it would be for me to say that the composition is weaker, lack-luster, just because it doesn't contain the same energy level and interplay between instruments as Birds Of Fire would. So....to say that I dislike the later material because it is weak, is technically incorrect. And technically correct is the fact based aspect in this case. "I don't like Apocalypse and Emerald Beyond because the composition is weak" That is not realistically true. Why not just say..."I don't prefer the style as much?"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2015 at 03:29
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

OK, well... but stating that PA's "artificial subgenres" have a corrupting influence on younger, would-be prog fans - as someone recently wrote on PE in the thread dedicated to PA - seems just a tad far-fetched, if you ask me. As the person responsible for the "eclectic" definition, such outbursts tend to get a bit under my skin. And now that I've come out as the culprit of that awful crimeWink, you can come and bash me - only, if you don't mind, do it here, and not behind my back.

OK, I think we don't need to come to that kind of extreme, RaffWink.... but it might be a good idea tio close the two subjects (both here and on PE) before they degenerate. I thought it was a good idea to keep them open as I hoped for a better understanding and maybe building a two-way friendship, but the more negative elements of both sites keep chiming in with their bad vibes and might ruin whatever positive that could've come out out of these two threads

The last thing I want is too return to the cold war situation of a few years back.
mogol View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2015 at 06:29
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

As the person responsible for the "eclectic" definition, such outbursts tend to get a bit under my skin.
On the one hand, it seems you are taking it personally, while it's the site that's been criticized.
On the other hand ... do you consider Eclectic to be a real genre? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112