Topic ClosedRYM - Rate Your Music - your thoughts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Topic: RYM - Rate Your Music - your thoughts
    Posted: September 11 2015 at 08:00
A bit like for Progressive Ears thread, share your thoughts and comments for both the forum and the database

it seems there are a few of both PA & PE are using the site, though for PA, I'd say that they are more ex-members (often disillusioned), whereas for PE, it's more actual mempbers
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 08:14
It's a better site for rating stuff than PA. Mainly because it covers all sorts of music and it has the half star rating system. I use it quite often, actually. I discovered tons of great stuff there, and most of my knowledge of new releases comes from rym.

I also love checking out the lists people make on rym. You can find some interesting stuff.
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 08:18
I don't have a clue. My wife visits PE occasionally and that's why I stay here. It keeps the peace. I do like the half star rating system though.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 08:47
I use it for browsing new stuff (that isn't found on PA) but that's all.
I like the multi-tagging feature.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 09:19
Pros: customized pages, making and perfecting lists, checking out other members lists, rating with half stars, multitagging + you'll find info on practically everything (related to music) & I trust their progreviews/ratings more.

Cons: interesting discussions do exist but are hard to locate, no real polls-making area, loads of impatient young hipsters   

RYM - PA = 6,5 - 3
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 11:52
I only go there for the "overall" list. Somehow, for some reason I got this idea that numbers matter. It is as though anything with a 3.90-or-over rating is supposed to means quality craftsmanship and anything below 3.60 needed some serious work. I guess I just trust the majority.

I'm quite satisfied with the PA forum and its polls, mainly because more interested in music then people's opinion about it.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - September 11 2015 at 11:53
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 18:02
I rarely use it.

Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 18:24
If I can't find it here,I can find it there.

Shake & bake.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 18:28
I think the people who review albums on RYM tend to be fans less often than on PA, so many favorites that get 4+ stars on PA are in the mid to high 3's on RYM.  This is good in a way but also gives me the feeling that sometimes the revioewers on RYM don't even "get" the music they are reviewing.  If I want an album by a particular group, in some ways I want to hear from people who are really into the group so that they can make a recommendation as a fan rather than as someone who isn't into it much, who might therefore recommend exactly the wrong album.   Also, I spend too much curiosity time looking at reviews of albums I know and love, and it irks me when so many people lose the plot!  Sleepy
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2015 at 03:45
I often use the site for reference (quicker to find stuff there than on PA, JMA or MMA) and help for the inclusion in our DB, but I certainly don't use the site as many do: to list and quantify their private collection and build themselves a profile with pictures and lists. I mean, I hardly use  any of the special features (like "own" and "what format", etc...

I'm not fond of the hierarchy and immobile structure over there and the voting system to get a correction approved (which means it can take years to get something corrected). However I do like the idea of reviews in other languages (though I won't be able to read most of them).
However, they are slowly catching up on a flaw that was nearly fatal in my eyes: while you could check out every single release of an album or compilation from Singapour, the Kerguellen Islands or Namibia, you weren't allowed to check who played what on the album

as for the forum, though there are some very knowledgeable members, it's made from genre cliques that tend to denigrate stuff they don't adher to.
And it's those same cliques that will massively vote (rate positively) for one style and skew downwards the ratings of other styles... But that's all right, because it does give a more mainstream (and therefore a more realistic) PoV , and globally the hierarchy of the albums within a band's discography is respected

I'm kind of amazed the RYM forums still gets such a success with such antiquated structure (imagine a forum without smileys or difficult embedding techniques).
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2015 at 12:48
I sometimes get the impression the RateYourMusic userbase served as primary research subjects for the satirical website "Stuff White People Like". RYM's clientele does a better job at making fun of twentysomething bourgeois-bohemians by accident than the TV series Girls and Portlandia do by design.

The vocal minority of metalheads there being the obvious exception.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 11:36
^ I've just looked up the definitions of these two words: "bourgeois" and "bohemian". Could the melding of the two be an oxymoron?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - September 14 2015 at 11:36
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 13:54
Never been there.....should prolly ck it out.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 15:52
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ I've just looked up the definitions of these two words: "bourgeois" and "bohemian". Could the melding of the two be an oxymoron?

Actually those two words translate into Bobo in French over the last 10/15 years now... and it concerns middle/upper Middle-class caste, generally well into their 40's or their 50's ... it's a modern day version of the 80's Yuppies, if you wish

But I don't see how it correlates to RYM... nor for the TV series Girls, whose main protagonists  are in their early 20's

Edited by Sean Trane - September 14 2015 at 15:58
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 16:31
I think in general it's worth noting that RYM doesn't have as many reviews for albums as PA, and some of the most well thought out reviews come from PA members who have the same names there.  So if you want detailed reviews PA is better.  Of course, RYM has a lot of non prog stuff, and, since many of us actually enjoy a variety of non prog music, it fills an important need there.  
Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2015 at 15:42
RYM is fantastic in that it covers all music, from the most mainstream pop to the most obscure Mongolian throat gargling. The inclusion of bootlegs is nice as well. Not too bothered about half-star ratings and foreign languages, but others seem to like it. The idea of lists and just generally cataloging your collection is kinda cool. 

But the forums are awful. Just a complete mess. Every post is just a crazy game with a billion pages and any new threads very, very quickly disappear with next-to no replies. It makes it near-impossible to really engage anyone in conversation over there. And as others have mentioned, edits and additions can take forever to be approved. 
Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2015 at 15:45
The friends feature is pretty cool also. Not sure if PA has one. If any ProgArchiver's are over there, my username on RYM is martindavey87. 
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2015 at 15:59
I put up a few reviews there, but gave up because I don't like the way they set up the user interface. I don't think I'll go back anytime soon.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2015 at 18:20
Originally posted by Valarius Valarius wrote:

The friends feature is pretty cool also. Not sure if PA has one.
We have a Buddy system. You can add a user as a buddy to your Buddy List. However, I doubt anyone uses it.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2015 at 09:29

Rateyourmusic, like Allmusic, Uncut, Rolling Stone (when it mattered), is fun to compare your opinion with others.....fun stuff but to be taken with a grain of salt.  Of course, there are far too many hipsters and white-boy biases but it's for a lark, not for research.

Edited by Intruder - September 16 2015 at 09:29
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>