FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg love

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog love
    Posted: September 13 2015 at 03:42
First prog album you heard and your memories?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 06:13
The first I consciously loved was ELP Trilogy but I already knew some artists without having heard the word "prog" before. I was about 10 years old. Curiously one of my first 45rpm was RPI: Delirium - Jesahel

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 06:41
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

The first I consciously loved was ELP Trilogy but I already knew some artists without having heard the word "prog" before. I was about 10 years old. Curiously one of my first 45rpm was RPI: Delirium - Jesahel

Delirium's Dolce acqua was my first prog album, and my first prog loveThumbs Up, at the age of 11. The English-speaking bands came a few years later.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 06:54
Bo Hansson's - Lord of the Rings is the one I remember first from the haziness of childhood memories.

It was the ELO2 album that really showed me what this music is capable doing when done best..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 09:15
ELP - Debut. I was 12 or 13 at the time and I was mesmerized by The Three Fates, Tank and the cool ending to Knife-Edge. Became an instant Prog-head and never looked back.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 10:03
The first prog album I ever heard was Aqualung, and it blew me away. Later I had the chance to get Stand Up, and since it was Tull, I decided to go for it, and it has remain my favorite for very personal reasons.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 11:16
Tarkus and Mahavishnu Orchestra's Birds of Fire when I was 14 years old (32 years before). As Octopus-4 said: "I already knew some artists without having heard the word "prog" before." My uncle was a great Drummer and his taste impressed mine.
garfunkel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 12:25
My first was Trilogy as well and it was last year.  I heard From the Beginning and I knew there was something that didn't sound right, it didn't sound like regular rock... I looked up the album it was from and went straight to YouTube!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 12:28
Days Of Future Passed
Remember the sixties? LOL

Edited by SteveG - September 13 2015 at 14:13
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 13:33
ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition - in school: a music techer did a unit on "original and adaptations" based on Mussorgsky's piano cycle.  At that time, Isao Tomita's synthesizer version impressed me even more, but the seed was laid.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 13:42
The very first was Abbey road (half prog I know), then Genesis Live. 
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 14:09
Close to the Edge when I was fifteen (1973). Not sure about specific memories of first hearing it but it sure made an impression.
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 14:54
In the Court of the Crimson King, A Question of Balance, Days of Future Passed, Tommy, We're Only in it for the Money, and the White Album are what got me headed in the prog direction back around 1970, when I was 9 years old. Shortly thereafter, albums like The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge, Aqualung, Thick as a Brick, Nursery Cryme, and Foxtrot are what got me totally hooked.
gloriousgoldfish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 15:25
Probably Close to the edge, from beginning till end. 

edit: and my memories of listening to Close to edge is the amazing solo by Rick Wakeman. 

Edited by gloriousgoldfish - September 13 2015 at 15:27
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 15:46
Nothing too exciting, Rush's "2112" way back in 2012. Don't listen to it anywhere near enough nowadays unfortunately, but it would still comfortably fit in my top 50-ish records. I don't think I was that conscious of what prog was at that time. It was only when I soon after began getting into King Crimson's debut, then Close To The Edge, and Selling England that I had an idea of what "progressive rock" was. Anyway, my memories of 2112 were listening to that 1st side over and over like a pop song, and being completely blown away by how consistently powerful and adventurous these 3 guys could be for 20 whole minutes. By the point I'd discovered "A Farewell To Kings" and "Hemispheres", they knocked off Led Zeppelin from my 'favourite band' slot.

What was yours, Progkid?
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 16:10
I didn't have any idea of prog untill one afternoon I heard South Side of The Sky from the radio. It took some time to find out what it was, but after that I bought Fragile and Close To The Edge and then little bit later Lark Tongues In Aspic. Prog music, what a way to live your life!

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 16:15
Isn't prog love what happened to micky and Raff?

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 16:23
Counting Out Time on the radio which later led to A Trick of the Tail and wondering what had happened to Gabriel's voice (a friend explained the changeover); PFM's Chocolate Kings and lots of pot; a couple of songs off ELP's Trilogy that were heard on a chilly fall day at a Laserium show in San Diego's Balboa Park; Camel's Mirage played very loudly in an aforementioned back room of a friend's parent's garage across the street - I later spirited it away without this friend's notice to play it for some other chums across town who where thoroughly impressed out of their classic rock stupor; freshly opened boxes on display in a Wherehouse Records store a few miles over the hill containing both Maxophone and Symphonic Slam albums. (This same location had a back section of heavily discounted albums like Crimso's Red and two gatefold Genesis albums put out by Buddha that were a mix of Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot. All were poorly pressed with surface imperfections galore, and when the needle hit some of them, you'd here a "thump, thump, thump" effect over the speakers.); and hearing Shadowfax's Watercourse Way when it first came out before being completely disappointed later in the mid-'80s in seeing them live and wondering where the prog had run off to.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 16:30
All I can say with definiteness is the first prog albums I owned.  They came along before I became a full fledged fan and those were Rick Wakeman's Journey To The Center Of The Earth and King Arthur, which I got through Columbia Record Club.  I also had a copy of Kraftwerk's Autobahn, which may have been in the same CRC order.  My brother and his friend, who were older, were prog fans at the time and so I was exposed to a lot indirectly. 

It may have been ELP's Brain Salad Surgery, which a cousin had.  I really liked Toccatta.
It may have been Jethro Tull's Warchild.  I remember a family trip and my brother had the 8-track.  He handed it up to the front seat to be played and I remember thinking, cool, Jethro, which I was thinking of The Beverly Hillbillies.  As I recall that 8-track didn't stay in the player very long.  LOL
I also remember hearing the Theme From Tommy when the family was headed off the interstate towards Mammoth Cave in Kentucky.  That may have been on another of my brother's 8-tracks or possibly even on the radio, but I think it was on tape.

Also might have been a single in there.  Focus Hocus Pocus got airplay on local commercial radio as I recall.  That actually predates just about everything.  I had a little mono transistor radio.

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 13 2015 at 16:36
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 16:41
My brother brought home 4 cassettes from school when i was about 12 (1974ish)- Tubular Bells, 6 wives of Henry the 8th, Mirage and Moving waves (Thanks Bro!).. but i'm sure i had heard tubular bells a bit before then (73) and it just took me away into a different world!! I grew up near a farm (commune) where a Progressive band lived and practised and heard them on a regular basis but had no idea what or who they were then!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>