Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg love

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2015 at 09:01
I cut down before I stopped, and that helped (I kept a mental list of activities as I become accustomed to doing them without cigarettes - as in, I can get through a day at work without a cigarette, now I can get through an entire movie without going out for a smoke, etc.) However, there are a few that are still problematic, such as writing papers and doing housework. I still don't know any adequate reward for doing the damn ironing that doesn't involve going outside for a smoke...but I still manage it anyway.
Smokers often do have addictive personalities. I have developed that attitude towards swimming.  When our local pool closes for a week for its yearly cleaning I get very very jumpy....

Good luck, it's a tough road.  I don't know if you are aware, but studies show cigarettes are more addictive than heroin, and subsequently harder to quit.  Congratulations on any (and all) steps you do take towards that goal.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2015 at 09:08
Thumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2015 at 21:59
Originally posted by Progkid Progkid wrote:

First prog album you heard and your memories?

I would have to say the journey started way back when I first heard The Beatles Sgt. Peppers' Lonely Hearts Club Band, the album virtually responsible for the birth of what would eventually  be called Progressive Rock - I was a teenager and it was the most exciting rock music I'd heard to date -  My friends and I didn't know what to make of it other than blowing our ears and minds! - At the time there were various descriptions starting to spring up calling it "Art-Rock" to my favorite, "Psychedelic music." And I'm still listening to it!

Smile
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 04:38
I was 17 years  old metal head and after reading a glowing review in a metal magazine bought Dream Theatre's When Dream and Day Unite. After all those years still my favourite DT album and one of my favourite Prog albums.
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 19:58
I was kind of lucky when I were a small kid. There were lots of university age people around where I lived (on a street with no road). So I heard Lizard at one house, Stand Up and Living In The Past at another, Meddle and Atom Heart Mother elsewhere. Biggest kid excitement - new Bowie album... (like er, now... kind of, er...). There was student hostel across the small non-road and lots of Beatles, Stones etc would float over... I kind of liked it all but only got hooked one day when discovering Nursey Cryme, Selling England and Dark Side.

Finally getting into The Yes Album did lots of good things...

Biggest blow away (other than Led Zep 4) was A Farewell To Kings and Permanent Waves (jeez guys those albums were and are mighty). Only really heard one album I really didn't like (or respected) and I can't remember that and that was only just over ten years ago.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 20:05
Aqualung. To an eleven year-old in Catholic school, it was a revelation when it came out.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2015 at 19:30
At the age of 8 or 9 my mother brought me to the cinema to watch "Yellow Submarine" and I became a Beatles fan. I loved "Revolver" most, which is almost prog, isn't it?
Embarrassingly, I grew out of this first music phase in my life (and it took me all too long to rediscover how good the Beatles were), but at the age of 12 I heard my father playing a tape with Watch by Manfred Mann's Earthband in the car, and I fell in love with music for probably the rest of my life. (My father by the way had played this kind of accidentally and was rather clueless about it - when I asked him what it was, he told me that it's Elton John, who was on the other side of the tape. So I spent my pocket money on an Elton John record and was bitterly disappointed. My father reimbursed me, though, and I could buy Nightingales and Bombers, which I love to pieces until this day.)

Edited by Lewian - October 22 2015 at 19:35
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2015 at 22:13
There's many ways I could answer this:
First ever LP was Renaissance's Novella. Thought it was ok.
First real prog album was DSOTM. Adored it, but it took me ten more years to figure out the genre.
First prog album by the time I knew how to define prog was Nursery Cryme. I cried at the end of "Fountain"
First prog album I ever bought was Days Of Future Passed.
First prog album that really started me on the craze was Thick As A Brick.

Edited by sublime220 - October 22 2015 at 22:14
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 19:37
I was probably 9-ish the first time I heard Fragile by Yes. I'd say that was the first prog that I'd ever heard; the most progressive stuff I'd heard beforehand was Deep Purple. I loved Roundabout right away but it would be a while before I came to appreciate anything else on the album.

I didn't get seriously into prog until a couple of years later when I got into jazz fusion (Jeff Beck, Brand X). A short time after that I heard Camel for the first time and Moonmadness was what got me hooked. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123