Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson's Mellotrons (2014)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2015 at 21:44
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Been to the Vic a number of times over the years...saw Dead Can Dance there as well as Ray Davies . Nice place.....I saw Crimson in the old days at Bismarck Theater and a newer venue in a suburb of Chicago some years ago.

I was at the same show at the Bismark Theater, this is the review...it was great!!

However, I draw a blank, trying to think of a Crimson gig in a suburb of Chicago!  They were booked to play "Beat" at an outdoor venue in the northwestern suburbs, but a torrential rainstorm ruined that!!  I never got to see the "Beat" tour, bummer!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2015 at 21:48
I hear 'tron on the recent live album from The Orpheum. No credit, though some sources say Bill Rieflin plays 'it' ?? What - an I-pad ??
froggyted View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2015 at 05:29
Ah, that solves that mystery then! I saw Crimson at Birmingham Symphony Hall last Tuesday, and an amazing gig it was too. I wondered how the middle drummer was creating those mellotron sounds when I couldn't even see an instrument at all behind his drumkit.
John McIntyre View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 08:54
I saw KC at Edinburgh on their first night, and from my vantage point, I could see Bill Reiflin (the middle drummer) play a small keyboard of some sort for all the required Mellotron parts (Starless, Epitaph, etc) but I couldn't make out exactly what it was, other than it was orange(!). I also saw him hit the same keyboard with a drumstick, making an un-drumlike sound, so I'm guessing it's a MIDI keyboard driving some sort of software driven something.
Historically, Fripp has possession of 6 Mellotrons - a pair of Mk2's and 4 x M400's (2 white, which toured from 1971-74, a gloss-black one which Fripp played in 1974, and another one covered in what looks like carpet that he bought from ex-Uriah Heep man Ken Hensley). One of the trons is owned out-right by Fripp, and the other 5 are owned by King Crimson, whatever form that takes.
I am one of only about 1,800 people in the world with an original M400 Mellotron!
pitfall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 16:21
I have a reel to reel(!) recording of the M400 string and mixed brass tapes taken from one of the Mellotrons used by Crimson '71-'74 when they were refurbished in the late 1970's.
The tape frames were pretty knackered, but the sounds are so much more atmospheric than the ones I hear from digital versions these days.
ajfebresa View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2016 at 23:49
There are some pretty interesting mellotron emulations called redtron M400 and redtron MKV (free VST plug-ins: https://sites.google.com/site/artifakelabs/).

Long before, I used a VST called M-Tron, which had some amazing tape strings, even a preset for playing Watcher of the Skies! 

Redtron is lighter anyhow.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 10:23

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

And who doesn't like the sound of the mellotron.....but for those who have seen the new KC tour; why 3 drum kits...? I can see two though even that seems a bit much ...but 3 actual drum kits..?

The sad part of this, is not imagining that 3 drummers can do 3 different things on any piece of music ... which, in some ways, explains rock'n'roll music fans all around ... no ability to think about the music beyond its "basics".

The history of music has been about changes and improvements and other things ... they said the same thing about Beethoven and Tchaikovsky, when they said they wanted 24 violins, not 2. And many orchestras freaked out at the volume and the cost at the time ... but today, almost 200 years later, you are not complaining about it, are you?

On another post, I compared this to another version of the same song, as if it were done by different conductors. 50 years ago, Stravinsky was not the same when you heard it done by Karajhan, or Bernstein, or Leinsdorf. There were different accents, and a lot of this became "visible" when Stokowsky did "Fantasia" for Walt Disney, and he realized that he could change the orchestra organization to get different accents in any piece of music, and for the next 30 years, every conductor took advantage of that to the point where some conductors were known to be the "master" of this composer or that.

Rock music is stale, and boring and out of time and place, now. It has lost its spark, because some of our idiocies, like purity of thought and concept, are stuck in a time warp. So you are such a purist that a baroque sounding this and that would be better for you ... ohhh btw, the harpsichord would fall out of tune because the ambience in those days had no central heating to keep it constant and alive for your show.

We've lost the concept of "concert", and "interpretation" ... because we think it is wrong, and this has been one of the greatest inventions and salvations that was the reason why music lasted in the first place, and you still hear it after 500 years!

That Robert, used 3 drummers, might be a freak, if one said, I wanna be here even if my job is to crush tomatoes, and what not, and something can be found in the music that can use the 2nd and 3rd drummer, to add an accent to the music. AND this is the case, in this last tour, with the 3 drummers, but you really need to have the ability and experience to appreciate a new interpretation of the piece you compare to the original on the CD/LP all the time ... because if you don't, this appreciation for music is gone, and your talent for loving music, is slanted ... has less to do with music than it does your own lullaby favorites that take you to sleep, not to mention the significant other, whom you are boring senselessly, now? (instead of an audience?)

Take a look at this with different eyes and ears ... it is, by far, one of the most magical of all interpretations of any work that Robert Fripp has done with his band, King Crimson. It is also, an honor, that he would respect music so much, to try and create improvements, to fix little things that might have not been quite perfect before in his music ... and this interpretation is full of moments that stand out so beautifully ... that are just simply beyond words.

It's just sad, and sometimes pathetic, to see comments, sometimes, that merely compare the music to the original and tomorrow the original will be 300 years away, and your comparison is silly and ignorant at best! Now you know why I fight for music ... more music and only music ... the rest is un-necessary!

Edited by moshkito - February 03 2016 at 10:27
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 16:52
I play a Yamaha Motif XF7 and use mellotron samples from vintagekeyboardsounds.com/page_mellotron.html.  Each key is an individual sample taken from an SM400 so you get the wobble, tuning variations and actual 6 - 8 second note length variations that make the tron so magical.  $20/set...set1: 3 violins/cello/choir...set2: flutes/brass/cello and I love their description of the actual tron: LOL

The samples originate from this actual Mellotron SM400 that resides in our studio. This Mellotron lived most of its life safely tucked away in the corner of a recording studio and was never on tour or abused by burned out progressive rockers. This is why it looks and sounds so good.

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2016 at 09:27
The GEFORCE MTron Pro is recommended, but not cheap. ;-)

https://www.gforcesoftware.com/products/m-tron-pro

Mellotrons. Nightmare instrument - in real life. 9 second delay on the tapes, utterly unreliable on stage, and "tuning a Mellotron... doesn't", as the famous quote had it. There may be many fans here, but you don't have to play an original onstage. I guarantee you'd go off it.

Any sampling synth (or the virtual synth above) can do a very good job of emulating a Tron. Go the easy route on this one. ;-)

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2016 at 09:49
^ Yes Dave - you are utterly correct !! Even 'Planet Mellotron' (fluck, I've forgotten his name....) is having trouble distinguishing the difference (Andy Thompson........) - these days, the quality of a sample is as good as the real thing. And, pedantic OCD aside, if there were a more 'compact' thing that gives off this sound, well, then.........
(We have all grown to love this machine - with all its limitations and short-comings.......)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12