FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDonovan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donovan
    Posted: September 21 2015 at 15:30
Just recently discovered Donovan, been listening to a little to him and I'm kind of unsure on my opinion. It seems like standard folk but at times there seems like there's something more. 

What do you think?

Edited by aglasshouse - September 21 2015 at 15:30
http://fryingpanmedia.com
gloriousgoldfish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 15:34
Discovered him last year when I stumbled upon Season of the Witch. I thought it was psychedelic rock at first but when I heard Atlantis my opinion changed a bit. He's definitely folk I'd say, especially that song.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 15:42
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donovan

Been a fan since the late 60's  but then I'm an old guy.....I was lucky enough to have seen him and got his autograph about 15 years ago when he played a local folk venue in my area.
Try Barabajagal and an earlier one called From A Flower To A Garden.

Edited by dr wu23 - September 21 2015 at 15:43
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 15:50
Barabajabal (with Jeff Beck), Hurdy Gurdy Man, Season Of The Witch, Sunshine Superman are some
of my favorites.
I remember Catch The Wind was his breakout hit and some people called him the British Bob Dylan.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 16:10

^Yes indeed. He was a real Dylan clone before finding his feet in British psych rock, and is the undisputed king of that genre, IMHO.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 16:57
The intergalactic laxative will get you from here to Mars....

Ummm...I've always liked Donovan. "Jennifer Juniper", "Hurdy Gurdy Man", "Catch the Wind" and the epic "Atlantis". Good mellow stuff. Mellow yellow even.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 17:07
Catch the Wind, oh yeah.  I also love Wear Your Love Like Heaven.

Lord, kiss me once more
Fill me with song
Allah, kiss me once more
That I may, that I may
Wear my love like heaven (Wear my love like)
Wear my love like heaven (Wear my love)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 17:35
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The intergalactic laxative will get you from here to Mars....

Ummm...I've always liked Donovan. "Jennifer Juniper", "Hurdy Gurdy Man", "Catch the Wind" and the epic "Atlantis". Good mellow stuff. Mellow yellow even.
Yes, he wasn't the surrealistic poet that Lennon was, but who cared?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 17:37
Welcome to the phenomenon
of Donovan!

More than just a great musician, his songwriting was amazing and gave the world some great songs, both as performed by him, and as fodder for covers.

Really like Sunshine and Barabajagal.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 17:43
How cool it must be to 'recently discover' someone like Donavon! It's very hard for me to get my aged mind around that!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 19:46
Been a lonnnnnngggg time since I listened to any Donovan. While his early stuff was fun for the day I'm afraid he was never really in Dylan's league. Maybe he could have been but he just seemed to get totally caught up in all that faux mystic psycho babble cow patty gumph that was somewhat typical of the era. Perhaps a revisit to the world of Donovan might be a good idea ?
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 20:14
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

Been a lonnnnnngggg time since I listened to any Donovan. While his early stuff was fun for the day I'm afraid he was never really in Dylan's league. Maybe he could have been but he just seemed to get totally caught up in all that faux mystic psycho babble cow patty gumph that was somewhat typical of the era. Perhaps a revisit to the world of Donovan might be a good idea ?

If you listen to him without thinking of him in the context of Dylan his work is very enjoyable - and really does conjure up an era.  It sure takes you back.
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 22:25
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

If you listen to him without thinking of him in the context of Dylan his work is very enjoyable - and really does conjure up an era.  It sure takes you back.

Indeed it does. Me, I didn't ever think of him in the context of Dylan and yes back then I did find him quite enjoyable but to be frank it didn't keep me enthralled especially once he went into that Atlantis nonsense. Nonetheless some of his work is undeniably worthwhile.

Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 23:39
I mean, I like saffron, but c'mon; it's too strong, costs more than gold, and I always use more than I should've.  Mad about it I am not.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 00:12
I remember getting Barabajagal on CD and being blown away by the bonus tracks. Not that the rest of his 1965 - 1970 golden age wasn't just as good, but the man was on a creative roll during the sessions for that album.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 09:33
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

The 'Dylan clone' tag was only in reference to his oblivious cop of Dylan's vocal style and songwriting style on his first charting song Catch The Wind. The follow up songs, starting with Colours, immediately dropped the obvious Dylan inflections and were just Donavon's style of folk rock before his got ultra spacy with Sunshine Superman.
So his Dylan clone era was thankfully brief. But I actually like Catch the Wind.  

Edited by SteveG - September 22 2015 at 15:53
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 09:38
^ Totally agree
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 10:58
Donovan originally wrote Catch The Wind in 1964 when he was an impressionable 18 year old just starting to make a name for himself in the UK folk scene (Dylan would have been 23 and releasing his 4th studio album at that time). 

The 1965 meeting of the two documented in Dont Look Back is now the stuff of legends (especially the exchange between them over "My Darling Tangerine Eyes"/"Mr Tambourine Man" that never made the final cut of the film), and no doubt resulted in the change of direction that Donovan undertook soon after.

I suspect that had circumstances been different the relationship between Dylan and Donovan would have been a fair bit warmer but the press taunting of Dylan over this new upstart seemed to get under his skin - though quite how Donovan's lightweight songs could ever be perceived as a threat is anyone's guess, perhaps he feared that Donovan's accessibility would dilute what he was doing.

Anyway, by the time Donovan released his second album Fairytale in late 1965, he was writing very un-Dylanesque little corkers like this gem:

Edited by Dean - September 22 2015 at 11:59
What?
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 11:55
I recall seeing somewhere (don't know where) that Donovan toured as a supporting act for Yes. 

Edited, found it here:

Edited by emigre80 - September 22 2015 at 11:56
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 14:29
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Donovan originally wrote Catch The Wind in 1964 when he was an impressionable 18 year old just starting to make a name for himself in the UK folk scene (Dylan would have been 23 and releasing his 4th studio album at that time). 

The 1965 meeting of the two documented in Dont Look Back is now the stuff of legends (especially the exchange between them over "My Darling Tangerine Eyes"/"Mr Tambourine Man" that never made the final cut of the film), and no doubt resulted in the change of direction that Donovan undertook soon after.

I suspect that had circumstances been different the relationship between Dylan and Donovan would have been a fair bit warmer but the press taunting of Dylan over this new upstart seemed to get under his skin - though quite how Donovan's lightweight songs could ever be perceived as a threat is anyone's guess, perhaps he feared that Donovan's accessibility would dilute what he was doing.

Anyway, by the time Donovan released his second album Fairytale in late 1965, he was writing very un-Dylanesque little corkers like this gem:

Lovely.
It suddenly struck me that Nick Drake must have been a Donovan fan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>