1 [2.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 03:48
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

If only the demos that comprised the studio albums had been done by Pink Floyd (as a band). The Narrow Way was nearly terrific, needed the band touch and Waters was a bit mean (not just to DG) but to the devoted public - us!) for not ensuring a quality experience when DG asked for a helping hand.

Meadows however is terrific. Species is real outtake land.

Poor old Nick Mason. Half an LP to fill up and he had to cheat by getting his Missus to improvise a melody over a drum solo.

Sysyphus is the best complete suite but Meadows my most enjoyable listen on the album. Shame they didn't do The Man / The Journey as well. Or even instead. Put all the pieces into concept context.

Now the Live album. Set The Controls should be... now... unedited not faded early. Grr. But I have to go with this classic version of Saucer. Knocks the studio version into demo land. Great vocal at Part 3 and all round terrific performance, Rick Wright at his finest and you get that mesmerising improv (RIO) section. Not that Astronomy Domine and Eugene are lesser. It just needs expanding, mind expanding perhaps.

They should have done a separate live album really. One of the more interesting among the odd experiments from the Abdabs.

I do like The Narrow Way just the way it is... my favourite part of the studio album. Though I guess if it had been played by the whole band it should have been better. Perhaps if I heard some of the live versions I would have a better idea. Actually, I did order some BBC albums I didn't know existed... I don't remember if one of those has The Narrow Way, specially since one of those albums has some of the names changed.

Yes, I know what you mean. The Narrow Way is excellent just... well, DG did say he'd "bullsh*tted" his way through it. Perhaps it needed a gestation period because it could have been the most accessible suite on the studio album.  Ah well it's there now and has been for a while.

What next - Ummmagumma Immersion box? Expanded lie album with Interstellar Overdrive, The Mn The Journey and a few others.

Oh by the way,  Amusing Notes Dept. There's a bootleg of PF playing Meadows at the beginning the show, start of a UK tour. The compere strolls out and talks to the audience " Would the owner of a yellow Cortina licence plate [etc] please come that front desk as you are about to be towed away." Or words to that effect. Compere then strolls off and leaves the Floyd to continue on... (Some of the details may be awry but the story's straight. He probably wouldn't have tried that with The Who...)
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 04:31
I have a live vinyl bootleg I picked up in Geneva that captures the band around this point 1. Astronomy 2. Cymbeline 3. Embryo 4. Set the Controls 5. Saucerful.  The studio albums did not really capture the transition from 'Saucerful' to 'Atom Heart' - an incredibly creative period for the band.
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 14:41
I was going to laugh at everyone who chose Species but then realized that it's my favourite too.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 14:58
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

I have a live vinyl bootleg I picked up in Geneva that captures the band around this point 1. Astronomy 2. Cymbeline 3. Embryo 4. Set the Controls 5. Saucerful.  The studio albums did not really capture the transition from 'Saucerful' to 'Atom Heart' - an incredibly creative period for the band.
Isn't this the period DG claims as rubbish ??
frajo99 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 19:09
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Isn't this the period DG claims as rubbish ??

Yeah, but David Gilmour doesn't get to decide when he sounds good. That's for the rest of us.Wink
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 22:06

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

If only the demos that comprised the studio albums had been done by Pink Floyd (as a band). The Narrow Way was nearly terrific, needed the band touch and Waters was a bit mean (not just to DG) but to the devoted public - us!) for not ensuring a quality experience when DG asked for a helping hand.

Meadows however is terrific. Species is real outtake land.

Poor old Nick Mason. Half an LP to fill up and he had to cheat by getting his Missus to improvise a melody over a drum solo.

Sysyphus is the best complete suite but Meadows my most enjoyable listen on the album. Shame they didn't do The Man / The Journey as well. Or even instead. Put all the pieces into concept context.

Now the Live album. Set The Controls should be... now... unedited not faded early. Grr. But I have to go with this classic version of Saucer. Knocks the studio version into demo land. Great vocal at Part 3 and all round terrific performance, Rick Wright at his finest and you get that mesmerising improv (RIO) section. Not that Astronomy Domine and Eugene are lesser. It just needs expanding, mind expanding perhaps.

They should have done a separate live album really. One of the more interesting among the odd experiments from the Abdabs.

I do like The Narrow Way just the way it is... my favourite part of the studio album. Though I guess if it had been played by the whole band it should have been better. Perhaps if I heard some of the live versions I would have a better idea. Actually, I did order some BBC albums I didn't know existed... I don't remember if one of those has The Narrow Way, specially since one of those albums has some of the names changed.

Yes, I know what you mean. The Narrow Way is excellent just... well, DG did say he'd "bullsh*tted" his way through it. Perhaps it needed a gestation period because it could have been the most accessible suite on the studio album.  Ah well it's there now and has been for a while.

What next - Ummmagumma Immersion box? Expanded lie album with Interstellar Overdrive, The Mn The Journey and a few others.

Oh by the way,  Amusing Notes Dept. There's a bootleg of PF playing Meadows at the beginning the show, start of a UK tour. The compere strolls out and talks to the audience " Would the owner of a yellow Cortina licence plate [etc] please come that front desk as you are about to be towed away." Or words to that effect. Compere then strolls off and leaves the Floyd to continue on... (Some of the details may be awry but the story's straight. He probably wouldn't have tried that with The Who...)

I guess the studio album would have been better if they didn't stick so strictly to the only one member per side... that limited what they could do too much. The Narrow Way is great (specially part 3), but I guess it would have been better if the other band members, who were each of them better at their own instruments (well, perhaps not Waters on Bass, though), had played as a whole band. I mean, surely drums would have been much better... and the textures Wright could have given the song with his keyboards are beyond whatever Gilmour could try by himself... once again, I bet live versions of this song must be the definitive ones.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2015 at 04:44
A Saucerful of Secrets
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12