Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoger Waters bass work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 19:19
I think his best work is all over the Animals album, Pigs (3 Different Ones) especially. Had a great riff with Money. Knows when to leave the spaces (TDSOTM) and knows his way around a groove too (ABITW 1, 2 and 3). Nice riff in Set The Controls. Some of his best ensemble work is Shine One (Parts 5 - 9).

That he and Mr Mason recorded Atom Heart Mother in one take is definitely worthy of note... One of These Days double act with DG. And one day his work on The Embryo (especially those great live versions)...

Edited by uduwudu - October 17 2015 at 19:20
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 19:31
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

That he and Mr Mason recorded Atom Heart Mother in one take is definitely worthy of note... One of These Days double act with DG. And one day his work on The Embryo (especially those great live versions)...

I've never noticed where exactly, but on documentaries it was revealed that later on in recording the rhythms of the other instruments didn't match up as both Waters and Mason were playing either a bit faster or slower.
It's come to something that after all these decades of hearing that, I still can't find the moment they were talking about.
And even if I do find out where it is, the thought of Roger and Nick recording their take across the full 20 odd minutes is a powerful piece for his case!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 19:55
One of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces...
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 20:09
Care must be taken on occasion as Gilmour did in fact do quite a bit of the bass in the studio. I was quite surprised when I learnt of this - especially regarding Pigs - the bass line is so Waters.
The 'funky' jam in Echoes, the first half on Pompeii - Waters is just grooving along and his sound is fantastic. Love his pick work when he does those fast runs up and down a string.
Mason doesn't get much credit for his drum work - some say things like dull, lazy, basic, standard........but his style was spot-on for Floyd. Couldn't picture it working with someone the calibre of Palmer or Collins. And what Mason lacks in 'chops', he makes up for with fantastic ideas and off-the-cuff creativity. You don't often see drummer's names in the composing credits in those days, but Mason was regularly credited on albums.
I don't believe Roger and Nick couldn't 'lock together' - they are the perfect rhythm-section for Floyd.
Next thing is 'who's the better bassist - Waters or Pratt ??'
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 20:20
Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun, One of These Days (though Gilmour also plays bass on that one), Echoes, Have a Cigar.

They both play bass on One Of These Days, a double act. DG was pleased at having the bass with the clean, newer strings while Rog didn't.

But yes, Have A Cigar.

zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 20:23
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Pratt

Magma America Great Make Again
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 20:29
Waters loved his flange pedal.......
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 22:30

Care must be taken on occasion as Gilmour did in fact do quite a bit of the bass in the studio. I was quite surprised when I learnt of this - especially regarding Pigs - the bass line is so Waters.
The 'funky' jam in Echoes, the first half on Pompeii - Waters is just grooving along and his sound is fantastic. Love his pick work when he does those fast runs up and down a string.
Mason doesn't get much credit for his drum work - some say things like dull, lazy, basic, standard........but his style was spot-on for Floyd. Couldn't picture it working with someone the calibre of Palmer or Collins. And what Mason lacks in 'chops', he makes up for with fantastic ideas and off-the-cuff creativity. You don't often see drummer's names in the composing credits in those days, but Mason was regularly credited on albums.
I don't believe Roger and Nick couldn't 'lock together' - they are the perfect rhythm-section for Floyd.

I liked Mason even better in those early days, where he sometimes went into a more melodic kind of playing, to try to explain it some way. Things like what he did on Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun, Remeber a Day, A Saucerful of Secrets... he would later on go into a more straightforward kind of drummer, though. And in a way Waters went along with Mason with his bass playing... I mean, Set the Controls melody was mainly played by Mason and Waters, and it's great... and I guess that's not a very common thing to hear... not even from Squire. Perhaps some of ELP's songs.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 23:15
Does 'Skins' count ?? Mason did a great job on TER. As for the bass work - Gilmour can pull it off, though you can sort of tell that the bass isn't his 1st instrument. Pratt is fine (what little he contributed) and who's the other - James Guthrie - on Allons-Y ?? No, it's Bob Ezrin, just looked at the booklet. He plays well. Would've been beyond MAGNIFICENT had Waters contributed the bass parts - had the music been exactly the same, but with Waters bass throughout, I dare say TER would be rated a lot higher.........

Edited by Tom Ozric - October 18 2015 at 07:08
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 10:29
hmmmm, probably Echoes, One of These Days, Careful with That Axe, Eugene, Money, or something like that.
Progrockdude
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 21:24

Does 'Skins' count ?? Mason did a great job on TER. As for the bass work - Gilmour can pull it off, though you can sort of tell that the bass isn't his 1st instrument. Pratt is fine (what little he contributed) and who's the other - James Guthrie - on Allons-Y ?? No, it's Bob Ezrin, just looked at the booklet. He plays well. Would've been beyond MAGNIFICENT had Waters contributed the bass parts - had the music been exactly the same, but with Waters bass throughout, I dare say TER would be rated a lot higher.........

Yeah, I guess Skins should count among the early drumming stile I liked from Mason. That was a nice touch on that last album, among a few others. I guess the bass isn't so outstanding throughout, though.
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 20:35
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

My thoughts exactly. I consider the driving, echoed bass Waters' signature sound.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 21:32
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

My thoughts exactly. I consider the driving, echoed bass Waters' signature sound.

But One of these Days has both Waters and Gilmour on bass, and actually I think it was Gilmour who developed the technique for the bass on this song... which had some good studio tampering about it.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 02:52
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

But One of these Days has both Waters and Gilmour on bass, and actually I think it was Gilmour who developed the technique for the bass on this song... which had some good studio tampering about it.

You sound like a Waters basher.... Waters is like Wright and Mason.... and Gilmour (even him).... Not great musicians in terms of technique, but they were giants in terms of ideas developed (at least during the 70's)

Yes Gilmour was a tad superior muso to the other three (and millions miles ahead of Barrett) and he might have been a better bass player than Waters (though there is nothing to really suggest this), but Waters wrote all the bass parts.

If Gilmour indeed plays bass on OOTD, it's the middle section , once he's stopped playing his bottleneck lapsteel-sitar thing... the booming bass entrance is 100% Waters.

if in Sheeps & Dogs, Waters asked Gilmour to play bass, it is because he wanted to play rhythm guitar (like on Pigs on the wings)... he needed the r.guitar experience, as he was soon to make the Wall demo tracks all alone, while Dave & Rick were recording their solo albums, thus using all of their valid musical ideas for themselves instead of putting them in the Floyd bucket.

But even in Sheeps & Dogs, the bass parts were written by Waters, since the music existed prior to WYWH, and was played on stage many times????
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 05:39
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

If Gilmour indeed plays bass on OOTD, it's the middle section , once he's stopped playing his bottleneck lapsteel-sitar thing... the booming bass entrance is 100% Waters.

There is clearly two different bass guitars at the beginning of that track.

http://https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_of_These_Days_%28instrumental%29
Magma America Great Make Again
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 22:26

You sound like a Waters basher.... Waters is like Wright and Mason.... and Gilmour (even him).... Not great musicians in terms of technique, but they were giants in terms of ideas developed (at least during the 70's)

Yes Gilmour was a tad superior muso to the other three (and millions miles ahead of Barrett) and he might have been a better bass player than Waters (though there is nothing to really suggest this), but Waters wrote all the bass parts.

if in Sheeps & Dogs, Waters asked Gilmour to play bass, it is because he wanted to play rhythm guitar (like on Pigs on the wings)... he needed the r.guitar experience, as he was soon to make the Wall demo tracks all alone, while Dave & Rick were recording their solo albums, thus using all of their valid musical ideas for themselves instead of putting them in the Floyd bucket.

But even in Sheeps & Dogs, the bass parts were written by Waters, since the music existed prior to WYWH, and was played on stage many times????

I didn't intend to bash Waters, I was just writing what I had read some time ago... checking it out in wikipedia as the latest poster suggested, it's indeed true, it was both Gilmour and Waters and using effects to achieve the sound. Who of the two came up with the idea, I don't remember, though I do believe it was Gilmour who was fond of experimenting with studio tricks. As for Waters having Gilmour play bass because he himself prefered to play rhythm guitars, I don't see why he would have to choose one over the other on studio, since he could play both and overdub, just as I imagine Gilmour had to do in order to play the bass and the lead guitars.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 02:51

I didn't intend to bash Waters, I was just writing what I had read some time ago... checking it out in wikipedia as the latest poster suggested, it's indeed true, it was both Gilmour and Waters and using effects to achieve the sound. Who of the two came up with the idea, I don't remember, though I do believe it was Gilmour who was fond of experimenting with studio tricks. As for Waters having Gilmour play bass because he himself prefered to play rhythm guitars, I don't see why he would have to choose one over the other on studio, since he could play both and overdub, just as I imagine Gilmour had to do in order to play the bass and the lead guitars.

yeah, sorry maybe, but there are Gilmour bashers (for continuing Floyd and not doing much worthy since) and there are Waters bashers (for acting like a tyrant and imposing his so-called "farther-less childhood" to the world >> which is pure BS, since only one or two songs off The Wall and TFC are related to that issue)

the Waters bashers like to hint that Roger couldn't play bass at all, or at least not well (and pictures showing Wright tuning his bass on stage, because Waters was incapable of doing it himself), which is why Gilmour had to help him out, especially on the Animals sessions... but this is pure BS, since Waters had to play both Dogs & Sheeps' bass parts on stage for years before getting in the studio.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 22:30
I do tend to be more on the side of Gilmour than Waters on the fighting side of Floyd, but in the end I do like what they both have done, both together and by themselves, and I do know that they both did their best when working together (and with Wright too, and I guess also Mason, though he does have much less writing credits). And besides, Waters was more of a songwriter than a bass player, and I believe that's the way he thinks of himself, I understand he really took the bass because the band needed a bass player. However, I do like what he and Mason did with Floyd a lot, specially on their earlier albums where they did some really interesting stuff.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2015 at 03:44

I do tend to be more on the side of Gilmour than Waters on the fighting side of Floyd, but in the end I do like what they both have done, both together and by themselves, and I do know that they both did their best when working together (and with Wright too, and I guess also Mason, though he does have much less writing credits). And besides, Waters was more of a songwriter than a bass player, and I believe that's the way he thinks of himself, I understand he really took the bass because the band needed a bass player. However, I do like what he and Mason did with Floyd a lot, specially on their earlier albums where they did some really interesting stuff.

As I wrote in this thread

I tend to side with Waters for reasons stated in there...

I'd tend to agree with you (and Roger) about the best way to see him, but....

I'm not that sure that he took the bass, just to be in the band and write songs... in the early Barrett days, Waters was not all that instrumental (pun intendedLOL) in writing songs ... at least not more than Wright would've been... IMHO, of course

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2015 at 10:46

I've never actually thought this was true. Roger even thanked Dave for helping him win "best bassist" polls. It's not that big of a deal, because the bass guitar really never stood out in Floyd apart from "One of These Days" and "Have a Cigar" (and select other moments), but it's common knowledge Dave recorded quite a few of the basslines. Roger may have had an initial concept of what the bass part should be, but Dave being much more of a musician refined improved and refined them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>