24 [72.73%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is faith allways bad?
    Posted: October 31 2015 at 10:10
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

Although most examples of faith seem suspicious, can you not have faith in your calculations? If we need to have evidence for everything, we will need to have simulations for myriads of things to the extent it will become impractical.

I don't subscribe to the first statement. Why are most examples of faith suspicious?

Ignore that Friede and just answer as a mathematician ... that is the gist of his enquiry.
What?
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 09:40
Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

Although most examples of faith seem suspicious, can you not have faith in your calculations? If we need to have evidence for everything, we will need to have simulations for myriads of things to the extent it will become impractical.

I don't subscribe to the first statement. Why are most examples of faith suspicious?

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 09:37
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

It's absolutely possibly by disattaching the mountain from the ground and reversing its magnetic polarity. I've seen Jesus do it, it's the same technique used for levitating trains.

I think your head may have been dis-attached and the magnetic polarity of your brain reversed.Shocked Wacko  LOL

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 09:29
bwahaha
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 09:26
It's absolutely possibly by disattaching the mountain from the ground and reversing its magnetic polarity. I've seen Jesus do it, it's the same technique used for levitating trains.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 09:21
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I've been reading your posts and I applaud your positive views and perceptions about  the metaphysical and reality, but these can only be views and perceptions. Having great faith in yourself is a fantastic attribute and will give one the ability and courage to try to surmount difficult tasks. Unfortunately, physically moving a mountain, even with the best of intentions, is physically impossible.
One of the great things about faith based philosophies is learning to accept things that one cannot change, or in the case of the mountain, physically move it.
Peace.
[/QUOTE]

Wasn’t Gautama Buddha able to walk through mountains?  Didn’t he at times meditate under water as well as atop?  Didn’t Jesus heal the cripple and raise the dead.

If these things are possible then why would moving a mountain be impossible?

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2015 at 04:04
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Ofcourse Faith is not "Allways" bad but Faith have potential to be bad. When I act about my faith and this act heart another persons , Perhaps I can say this Faith is bad. This relevant to person that do about his/her faith. Maybe their understandind of the faith be wrong and maybe their faith forced them to do wrong!!

I get very wary and weary when people write faith with a capital f.... Confused

just like when people capitalize the first letter of god or the name of their  religion OuchPinch

It doesn't make me think the writer is in any a moderate about their beliefs ErmmNuke

Of course Darwin and Big Bang are fully entitled to their capital letters TongueLOLHug

O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 13:46
Ofcourse Faith is not "Allways" bad but Faith have potential to be bad. When I act about my faith and this act heart another persons , Perhaps I can say this Faith is bad. This relevant to person that do about his/her faith. Maybe their understandind of the faith be wrong and maybe their faith forced them to do wrong!!
Otto9999 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 13:25

Removed due to PA's deliberated act of deleting threads as alleged featuring negative behaviour posts towards others.

Edited by Otto9999 - October 31 2015 at 11:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 13:06
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

What exactly is pseudo- science? There are numerous apposing mainstream scientific theories, which ones are right?  Which ones should be classified as pseudo-science? String theory has been around for over 60 years and as far as I’m aware there still isn’t a shred of proof for it.

I actually like string theory, at least the very foundation of it.  However, it does go off into some very complex tangents that I’m unsure of.

Dean made a comment about my username, well, I was going to pick SoundChaser but that was taken.  When I came up with CosmicVibration I was actually thinking about the basis of string theory.

Pseudo-science is defined as "a collection of beliefs that are mistakenly regarded to be based upon the scientific method." In that respect string-theory and all other unproven scientific hypothesises are not pseudo scientific since they adhere to the scientific method and will be discarded and/or modified when conflicting evidence is found. Where such scientific theories enter into the realm of pseudo-science is when they are subsequently used in a ways that do not involve the scientific method and are used as the basis for beliefs (ideas) that violate some physical law or limit. Your example of extracting energy from zero-point energy is generally regarded as pseudo-scientific because zero-point energy is the state of lowest possible energy so extracting energy from it would create a new state that has less energy than the zero-point energy (which would be, by definition, not possible).

[edit: another point, though I still lack the energy to argue with pseudoscience: the vacuum state that exists within the physical vacuum of space {yes, I admit I made an error there earlier but not a gross one} also exists (as I said before) in all matter, (whereas a physical vacuum does not), so is not the same thing as a physical vacuum and cannot be treated as such. In that respect you can regard it as the substrate, baseline or floor of the universe. We cannot measure this, we can only detect fluctuations in it - to borrow your ocean analogy: we cannot know the depth of the ocean just by measuring the height of the waves - we normalise "sea-level" as the baseline for all measurements therefore a vacuum has zero energy in relation to itself {but that is probably as far as that analogy goes}.]

It’s foolish to argue and this was never my intent.  I appreciate an honest discussion but if it’s going to zap some of your vital energy I’d rather just let it go.

I get most of my scientific information from TV shows.  I know what you’re thinking but let me finish.  Or at this point you may not be thinking but laughing… LOL  I tried reading science journals but they tend to get too complex and over my head.  Or else they seem to go round in circles using big words but not saying much of anything.  Still laughing huh?

Some of the programs I’m referring to are Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman.  I’ve seen most if not all the episodes, if I’m not mistaken there were 6 seasons already.  I like the way scientific topics are discussed from many different angles and opposing viewpoints.

Others include but are not limited to:

How the Universe Works

Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking

Cosmos - both old and new generation, Carl Sagan and Neil deGrasse Tyson

Wonders of the Universe and Wonders of the Solar System with Brian Cox

On more than one occasion I’ve heard from prominent scientists that every inch of space contains more energy than all the stars in the known or observable universe.  There was one episode of Through the Wormhole where a scientist worked for over 15 years in his spare time and was able to dimly illuminate a LED using zero point energy.  Maybe I can dig up that episode… Besides, aren’t the plates that are being pushed together in the Casimir effect evidence of zero point energy? I realize that it would take a lot more energy to push the plates back apart so any application would be useless but this experiment just verifies the existence of said energy.

From Wiki:

In quantum field theory, the fabric of space is visualized as consisting of fields, with the field at every point in space and time being a quantum harmonic oscillator, with neighboring oscillators interacting. In this case, one has a contribution of E=ħω/2 from every point in space, resulting in a calculation of infinite zero-point energy in any finite volume; this is one reason renormalization is needed to make sense of quantum field theories. The zero-point energy is again the expectation value of the Hamiltonian; here, however, the phrase vacuum expectation value is more commonly used, and the energy is called the vacuum energy.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the main question there is just how small can a wavelength get?  Or how far can you keep on dividing it?  The answer comes out to be infinity, so a cutoff point was made.  This cutoff point is what’s referred to as renormalization.   Am I correct with my assertion or out in left field somewhere?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 12:53
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Current science however, just like religion, really doesn’t know as to what the hell is truly going on. 

However, science acknowledges what it doesn't know.  Whereas religion makes unsubstantiated claims and demands we accept them to be the truth.  Some Hindu right wing activists are unhappy with rationalists saying Hanuman was a myth.  They go so far as to say there is definite proof of Hanuman's existence.  Yeah, Hanuman...a monkey God, if you will, who lifted a mountain on his palm.  Some rationalists have been killed for trying to fight the efforts of the right wing to spread blind faith.  So, as much as I sometimes really get off on rationalist smugness, the smugness appears to be far less malignant than religion as such and what it encompasses.  

I am beyond the point where I have any sympathy with claims that such extremists do not represent the religion.  If that is so, why don't ordinary peace loving believers take out protest marches against such extremists.  After all, if they really believed in God, they wouldn't fear for their life so much as to let such extremists go uncontested.   This is an even greater travesty in so far as it applies to Hinduism some of whose strands had advanced far enough to, indeed, question the notion of God and consider if God was basically a necessary metaphysical assumption.  I would have no compunctions about renouncing my faith if the attempts of the right wing to turn it into a militant religion succeed.

I agree, there’s a lot of crazy sh*t that goes on in the name of religion.  Yesterday i viewed the Church of Latter Day Saints documentary on TV, holy crap, the sh*t was as bad as the sh*t in the Scientology documentary.

At present, probably the most horrific crazy intolerant bullsh*t that goes on in the name of god is in a lot of parts of the Middle East.

But can the craziness of religious fanatics be blamed on a book?

edit: LOL what's wrong with the word sh*t (feces, turd) on this site? sh*t, sh*t, sh*t

Edited by CosmicVibration - October 25 2015 at 12:58
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 06:41
Nothing is always bad, just as nothing is always good.
Otto9999 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 05:44

Removed due to PA's deliberated act of deleting threads as alleged featuring negative behaviour posts towards others.

Edited by Otto9999 - October 31 2015 at 11:12
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 04:22

What exactly is pseudo- science? There are numerous apposing mainstream scientific theories, which ones are right?  Which ones should be classified as pseudo-science? String theory has been around for over 60 years and as far as I’m aware there still isn’t a shred of proof for it.

I actually like string theory, at least the very foundation of it.  However, it does go off into some very complex tangents that I’m unsure of.

Dean made a comment about my username, well, I was going to pick SoundChaser but that was taken.  When I came up with CosmicVibration I was actually thinking about the basis of string theory.

Pseudo-science is defined as "a collection of beliefs that are mistakenly regarded to be based upon the scientific method." In that respect string-theory and all other unproven scientific hypothesises are not pseudo scientific since they adhere to the scientific method and will be discarded and/or modified when conflicting evidence is found. Where such scientific theories enter into the realm of pseudo-science is when they are subsequently used in a ways that do not involve the scientific method and are used as the basis for beliefs (ideas) that violate some physical law or limit. Your example of extracting energy from zero-point energy is generally regarded as pseudo-scientific because zero-point energy is the state of lowest possible energy so extracting energy from it would create a new state that has less energy than the zero-point energy (which would be, by definition, not possible).

[edit: another point, though I still lack the energy to argue with pseudoscience: the vacuum state that exists within the physical vacuum of space {yes, I admit I made an error there earlier but not a gross one} also exists (as I said before) in all matter, (whereas a physical vacuum does not), so is not the same thing as a physical vacuum and cannot be treated as such. In that respect you can regard it as the substrate, baseline or floor of the universe. We cannot measure this, we can only detect fluctuations in it - to borrow your ocean analogy: we cannot know the depth of the ocean just by measuring the height of the waves - we normalise "sea-level" as the baseline for all measurements therefore a vacuum has zero energy in relation to itself {but that is probably as far as that analogy goes}.]

Edited by Dean - October 25 2015 at 05:03
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 03:12

To remove the many negatives from my last statement, I'll rephrase it. It's not really complicated but it is of interest to me personally: 

Faith generally precludes that God answers prayers and can move the mountain. If God does not answer prayers and does not move mountains, then why do the faithful pray? How do you explain why the faithful ignore this obvious fact that the mountain will not be moved by God and continuing to pray anyway?
As I said before, the faithful pray because god commanded them to, he demands it. In modern times prayer serves more than one purpose, (or at least appears to), but initially its main purpose was to praise god, (prayer as a solemn request or earnest wish came later). 

Prayer was seen as a communication with god but not as a dialogue or conversation, (so no direct answers would be forthcoming), for example prayer as a message to god of the faithful's recognition (and thanks thereof) of god's power and protection, and thus a sign of faithful's belief and faith in god. This was also a means for the faithful to judge themselves (in hebrew "prayer" is a derivation of "judge oneself"), and therefore be changed by prayer, for example when a pray-er asked god to 'help me to...' or 'give me the strength to...' it was not a request for god to change something but for the pray-er to attain the means to change themselves. [edit: this 'request' form of prayer was also a form of self-judgement, in that it was asking for forgiveness from god, which goes some way to explain why the non-hebrew words for prayer derive from "to ask or entreat"]. Prayer was not a shopping list of mountains to be moved or obstacles to be overcome.

Btw, the Temple of Abu Simbel  in Egypt with the four megaton statutes of Ramses, that was carved into a mountain, was cut up, moved and reassembled like a jigsaw puzzle. This included a large portion of the mountain in order to save it from being covered by raising waters of the Nasser High Dam. Mountains can indeed be moved by men. But you're correct, it was not done with explosives.

The score on mountain moving thus far: Man 1, God 0. 

Thumbs Up

Edited by Dean - October 25 2015 at 03:35
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 02:29

Originally posted by dean, originally dean, originally wrote:

The non-literal interpretation is that with faith you can achieve anything and here the mountain is just a metaphor. It should be noted that Jesus said this to his disciples after they had failed to drive a demon out of a small child, he chastised them of having too little faith before speaking the words in the quote. Moving the mountain is a measure of faith, not an indication the power of thought.

So the classical literal interpretation of the quote is not that the faithful can move the mountain just by the power of their thoughts, that would be capricious, heretical magic and even a sign of hubris. The only way for the mountain to literally move is for god to move it, but since god does not do things on the whim of mere mortals then, no matter how faithful they are, it will only move if god wants it moving. So if a person of sufficient faith (which Jesus states is as small as a mustard seed) commands the mountain to move then it is because of god's will (i.e., the faithful person's will is at one with god's).

(i.e., the faithful person's will is at one with god's).

This is exactly right… but not only the person’s will, his entire Being is at one with God.  “I and my Father are One.” At this stage of the game you are no longer mortal, you are one with Spirit. So in essence yes, God is the doer.

I hope you appreciate that I am an atheist and was only giving the classical literal interpretation of the quote that I remember from being a christian in my youth. 

In that interpretation god is not only the doer, god is also the instigator.A faithful person would ask the mountain to move because of god's will, not their own (free) will and the mountain would move. Conversely if a non-believer asked the mountain to move it would be their will not god's and the mountain would not move.

So when the mountain does not move on the command of a person it is an indication that they have insufficient faith, they are not "at one with god". Jesus's message to the disciples was: you don't have enough faith {since in the part of the biblical verse that you omitted from the quote he called them 'unbelievers'}.

Since mountains do not move this can mean one of three things:

1. that no mortal has ever achieved the right level of oneness with god; {i.e., what Jesus said}
  2. that god simply likes the mountains to remain exactly where he put them so anyone who is "at one with god" has never commanded the mountain to move; {an apologists view perhaps}
  3. that there [probably] is no god. {an atheistic conclusion}

You can apply this analogy. God is an ocean and we are waves upon that ocean.  Playing and crashing with the storm of delusion.  We do not realize we are part of a vast ocean and think ourselves as separate.  When we calm (get rid of ego) we sink and merge back into the ocean.

The ocean can exist without the waves but the waves cannot exist without the ocean.

Gnh, the problem with analogies is that if you stretch them they break, and breaking an analogy does not affect the original premise they were chosen to illustrate. But you are already stretching this one with the addition of the storm of delusion metaphor so I shall continue - the waves are created by the wind and storms, not by the ocean. The wind is caused by the sun's action on the ocean and land surfaces creating a temperature differential that results in an atmospheric pressure differential. The heat of the sun that creates the wind is infra-red electromagnetic radiation that propagates through space as waves. We could keep stretching this analogy until it is so thin you could read a book through it: and look at the wave/particle duality within each water molecule in the ocean and conclude that the ocean is made up of waves; and that the ocean cannot exist without all these little waves singing hosanna. Moreover, ocean waves propagate across the surface of the ocean whereas water molecules and anything floating on the surface just aimlessly bob up and down and don't go anywhere.... like religion.

BTW… I like your other post but you are stereotyping there a bit aren’t you?  I don’t belong to any organized religion but I wouldn’t conclude that all followers don’t seek or require proof.  What you wrote not only could but should apply to one’s spiritual path.  Without evidence or experience how does one know their progressing? 

Originally posted by dean, originally dean, originally wrote:

“...as opposed to religious faith, which can be summarised as "Strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof"

So faith means "complete trust or confidence" and it would be both imprudent and arrogant to have complete trust in your calculations without some form of evidence because, as the old adage says: pride goes before a fall.

Even with trust or confidence in your calculations you will need some level of evidence that the calculation is correct. However, with experience you will build-up confidence in your ability to make those calculations and gradually require less evidence that they are correct to the point where you will trust that they are with the minimum of evidence.

I really couldn't care less. That post was yet another failed attempt to pull this tread discussion back to the OP and away from religious debate on the meaning of religious faith. There is no stereotyping involved there because OP talked of calculations and there are no calculations in spiritual belief. Spiritual 'proof' is of no concern to me, if believers want evidence that they're progressing (or of their progress) then they are not going to find that in science or the calculation of the amount of paint needed to cover four walls in a room. If I were to stereotype I could say that religious types, and supporters of pseudo-science, lack the rigour to use evidence because they are too selective, latching on to all the evidence that supports their philosophy and rejecting all that does not - but that would be a gross caricature. 

Edited by Dean - October 25 2015 at 03:44
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2015 at 01:26

Current science however, just like religion, really doesn’t know as to what the hell is truly going on. 

However, science acknowledges what it doesn't know.  Whereas religion makes unsubstantiated claims and demands we accept them to be the truth.  Some Hindu right wing activists are unhappy with rationalists saying Hanuman was a myth.  They go so far as to say there is definite proof of Hanuman's existence.  Yeah, Hanuman...a monkey God, if you will, who lifted a mountain on his palm.  Some rationalists have been killed for trying to fight the efforts of the right wing to spread blind faith.  So, as much as I sometimes really get off on rationalist smugness, the smugness appears to be far less malignant than religion as such and what it encompasses.  

I am beyond the point where I have any sympathy with claims that such extremists do not represent the religion.  If that is so, why don't ordinary peace loving believers take out protest marches against such extremists.  After all, if they really believed in God, they wouldn't fear for their life so much as to let such extremists go uncontested.   This is an even greater travesty in so far as it applies to Hinduism some of whose strands had advanced far enough to, indeed, question the notion of God and consider if God was basically a necessary metaphysical assumption.  I would have no compunctions about renouncing my faith if the attempts of the right wing to turn it into a militant religion succeed.
Otto9999 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2015 at 18:01

Edited by Otto9999 - October 31 2015 at 11:14
Otto9999 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2015 at 17:57

Edited by Otto9999 - October 31 2015 at 11:15
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2015 at 16:59
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

BTW… I like your other post but you are stereotyping there a bit aren’t you? I don’t belong to any organized religion but I wouldn’t conclude that all followers don’t seek or require proof. What you wrote not only could but should apply to one’s spiritual path. Without evidence or experience how does one know their progressing?
There is no proof to be had in religious faith. It's a fool's errand. You are replying to Dean, but the point of my last post was that there were some religious scientists who understand the difference. They do not require religious faith to figure out the blueprint, but they have a belief system about the source of the blueprint. I do not, so fine and dandy, and I am not interested in converting anyone, but this apparent trend of religionists seeking proof for their beliefs leads only to pseudo-science and, I might suggest, pseudo-faith. The two things are altogether different. There is no relationship.

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

...as opposed to religious faith, which can be summarised as "Strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof

So faith means "complete trust or confidence" and it would be both imprudent and arrogant to have complete trust in your calculations without some form of evidence because, as the old adage says: pride goes before a fall.
The point is that, like 'believe', there are different senses or two different meanings of faith. The one Dean was talking about there was not the 'religious faith' you're talking about.

I think the misunderstanding is because I’m referring to a very small minority and not the norm.  Proof will not come from outside oneself but rather from inside oneself.  Spiritual truth and wisdom does not come from any words derived from a book or listening to the words of a preacher but from an inner realization.  There are many markers one can use to track their spiritual progress. 

I understand and agree about the concept of blind faith and closed minded belief that seems to be the topic under discussion here.  I was just trying to offer a different perspective that can be subjected to experimentation and concrete results.

I’m not sure what you mean by the “blueprint.”  The blueprint of creation? The mechanics of the universe? 

Maybe one day, before this universe expires, man will figure out the mechanics of the universe.  Current science however, just like religion, really doesn’t know as to what the hell is truly going on. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>