Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich of these youthful ideals...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Poll Question: Which of these do you still believe in?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [13.33%]
3 [5.00%]
23 [38.33%]
1 [1.67%]
2 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
9 [15.00%]
2 [3.33%]
5 [8.33%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [11.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 12:15
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

An amusing but very annoying incident that happened in my wedding ceremony.  In Hindu marriage, the groom appoints one priest and the bride another and together they both cook up the wedding.  Since the bride's priest has more work to do, he gets paid more...accepted convention. Now, to my bad luck, the priest our family appointed (who has performed ceremonies for several of my relatives in the past) happened to be the father in law of the one my wife's family appointed.  G-Priest's ego was hurt to learn he would be paid much less than B-Priest and G-Priest chose to punish us by asking for more than what he had initially agreed for.  Left a very bad taste in the mouth, needless to say. As it is, I am a strong advocate of just getting a simple ceremony done at the registrar's office and throwing a grand party to relatives and friends instead.  Especially so in inter-caste/inter-religion marriages where trying to perform a traditional ceremony as per one religion is just tomfoolery imho.  Would have done likewise had my wife not been from a more 'traditional' family.  Maybe whenever my little one (there isn't one yet) gets married, I could persuade all concerned of the pros of my idea.  What 'sanctity' is supposed to be conferred on the wedding by the priest being there to perform it was robbed by his pettiness, sorry to say.
After coughing up most of the cash for my daughter's wedding I'm still reeling from the discovery that in England you have to pay the vicar to perform the marriage ceremony, and pay another vicar to read out the banns in another church near where the groom lives. Admittedly the local vicar put on a pretty good show on the day, but for what she charged us for 30 minutes work I was expecting the Vicar of Dibley.
What?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 12:19
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

You don't have to make a thread about every single thought that crosses your mind

why not? everyone else seems to.

TIL Svetonio, Condor, Micky and Icarium are "everybody" on a website with over 50000 members

I'd like to know what threads Micky has been starting in recent times, or if he's ever started anything comparable to Condor's threads. He hasn't visited the forum in days, and in any case I don't believe he deserves to be treated as a nuisance.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 12:31
I have no complaint about either Mickey or any threads he starts, so please don't lump me with Triceratopsoil on this.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 13:19

I have no complaint about either Mickey or any threads he starts, so please don't lump me with Triceratopsoil on this.

I wasn't, and apologize for making it look like that. I probably should have looked for his original post, but somewhat ended up replying to your post instead.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 13:26
I like how they get the forum going. But one thread a day is good enough. Icarium and Mickey don't normally post that many threads, and Ica's don't get enough replies for me to even see them most of the time. 

Sventonio's offense is only partially the amount of threads he makes. The other part is that they're all bandcamp suggestions.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 13:36
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I wasn't, and apologize for making it look like that. I probably should have looked for his original post, but somewhat ended up replying to your post instead.

No worries, I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't taking issue, the other guy was.
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 13:45
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I like how they get the forum going. But one thread a day is good enough. Icarium and Mickey don't normally post that many threads, and Ica's don't get enough replies for me to even see them most of the time. 

Sventonio's offense is only partially the amount of threads he makes. The other part is that they're all bandcamp suggestions.
Whatever happened to Pedro nowadays?
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 14:59
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

You don't have to make a thread about every single thought that crosses your mind
why not? everyone else seems to.

TIL Svetonio, Condor, Micky and Icarium are "everybody" on a website with over 50000 members

I'd like to know what threads Micky has been starting in recent times, or if he's ever started anything comparable to Condor's threads. He hasn't visited the forum in days, and in any case I don't believe he deserves to be treated as a nuisance.

He just goes on kicks where he posts 45 prog polls in 1 day, completely flooding every other thread out of view

Edited by Triceratopsoil - October 16 2015 at 15:00
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 16:23
[/QUOTE]
When she was very young my daughter came home from school very distraught because she had been told by a teacher that I would go to hell for not believing in god. I quietly explained to her that I couldn't go somewhere I didn't believe existed. When she asked where I would go when I died I replied that I didn't know, but as long as there weren't teachers, schools and homework I'd be more than happy.
[/QUOTE]

I went to Catholic school from 1st - 8th grade and it's a shame how youngsters are indoctrinated by half truths.  I was lucky to conclude by the 4th grade that the nuns as well as "grownups" just didn't know. I determined this by the answers I received to my questions as well as the behaviors i witnessed.  Some of the nuns were unjust, unfair and just plain evil.

It’s a shame that our educational system doesn’t compel students to think for themselves; the sciences included.  The power of memorization is good but shouldn’t only be used to memorize so called facts in order to pass an exam. I think children as well as adults should question everything. 

Instead of educators presenting matters as fact, they should present the material as; this is what we know so far, we’re not sure if its right, decide for yourselves, the ball is in your hands. 

I really wonder how much of our science is completely wrong.  And how much is actually right.

Question everything, even the basics. There is no such thing as an isolated system in nature so why should the strong force be any different? Maybe there’s something else going on there?

CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 16:25
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

There is no god - immaterial if there is or their isn't - gods are a redundant concept - we've managed to dispel belief in the majority of them, it's only a matter of time before the last remaining few are dispatched or their believers wipe each other from the planet.

I’m a bit surprised at you Dean; you seem to be a logical chap.  You’re looking at this one sided only.  It can also go the other way; the believers can change this planet into a utopia for mankind.  You need to think about all the numerous and great humanitarians as well as leaders that were devotees.   Don’t forget about benevolent and compassionate humanitarians such as mother Teresa as well as great leaders such as Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King.

Ah, I was with you right up until you suggested that it also goes the other way, because after 4500 years, 2015 years and 1500 years of different versions of essentially following the same damn god it hasn't done yet and doesn't look like it is going to any time soon. The absolutely shi*ty deeds of the many by far outweigh the good deeds of the few.

And as for the Mother Teresa bit... not everyone thinks she was a saint, and looking at the evidence I'm inclined to agree with them. (I'll not rake that up here because it's not relevant and I can't be bothered getting into sl*g.ing-off a dead person, search and ye shall find).

I suggested that it can or may, not necessarily that it will.   The future is not certain. 

As far as if the planet would be better off without religion this is also somewhat uncertain.  If the masters such as Jesus, Muhammad, Krishna, Lau Tzu, the Buddha’s, etc. never roamed the earth would this world really be better off today? 

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 16:47
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Guns and Gods

Those two are my tops on this list, though Monogamy and Capitalism are really close behind

But Dean's answer on all choices, I can easily endorseClap, with maybe a tad of a shade about private school... I just wish that public schooling was as good (in terms or results) as those bloody private things.

Edited by Sean Trane - October 16 2015 at 16:57
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 18:27
If we got rid of the idea of God completely, humanity would suck just as much.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 18:27
If we got rid of the idea of God completely, humanity would suck just as much.

Edited by Smurph - October 17 2015 at 00:47
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 19:49
Yeah....evidently, seeing as it's we who have invented the concept of a God.  I do not mean to offend believers and I am a believer who dislikes organised religion really....but God is as much a man made creation as aeroplanes and cars if we look at it from a cold, hard, scientific perspective.  Only, like a great writer's work, God resides in our imagination, whereas we can see, feel and touch aeroplanes and cars.  So, yeah, I do not subscribe to the atheist myth that eliminating the concept of God would miraculously make the world a better place.  Communist Russia is proof enough.  My state of origin in India has been under the rule of a party that claims to be atheist and they are no less corrupt than the ones that appeal to religion.  Ironically, both parties are equally as likely to look askance if right wing fringe groups kill rationalists who dared to venture too far in questioning superstition and rituals.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 21:22
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Whatever happened to Pedro nowadays?
Moshkito? How recent was he here? It seems like a long time ago. 
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 22:04

Not that long, apparently.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 16 2015 at 22:05
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 22:24
I just realized I hadn't seen him in a while, and then he turned up in the thread about Jon Anderson's new album.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 02:59
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Yeah....evidently, seeing as it's we who have invented the concept of a God.  I do not mean to offend believers and I am a believer who dislikes organised religion really....but God is as much a man made creation as aeroplanes and cars if we look at it from a cold, hard, scientific perspective.  Only, like a great writer's work, God resides in our imagination, whereas we can see, feel and touch aeroplanes and cars.  So, yeah, I do not subscribe to the atheist myth that eliminating the concept of God would miraculously make the world a better place.  Communist Russia is proof enough.  My state of origin in India has been under the rule of a party that claims to be atheist and they are no less corrupt than the ones that appeal to religion.  Ironically, both parties are equally as likely to look askance if right wing fringe groups kill rationalists who dared to venture too far in questioning superstition and rituals.

as a confirmed atheist, I can understand that some (more fragile) people need the reassurance of a "universe creator" and some kind of "sense of life" and the "existence of an afterlife", so I can admit that they have some legit needs to believe in (and therfore invent some kind of "god" (such is not my case, I prefer the reverse: a dogTongue).

Some this "god" is a human invention (other forms of animals don't invent such things)... and in itself, this invention is not "evil"...

Where "god" become "evil" is when another (much more evil) invention comes in this plan: religion (organized or not)...
Indeed, that you admit there is some kind of creator, ok (but only slightly) ...Stern Smile
that you wonder how things go about this "thing" , almost "normal"... Ermm
That you want to communicate (talking to it) with , that's a bit limit looneyConfused
That one pretends that they received an answer from this non-entity, one should start consulting 
that one starts wanting to spread this nonsense is dangerous Nuke
that one wants to create a "followship" and a fellowship to spread the nonsense is disgusting CensoredPig
that one uses his influence and tries to enforce the nonsense to their advantage is criminal Dead

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 05:44
Yeah, organised religion is the problem.  Again, I don't distinguish between organised religion and something like communist Russia.  There's no difference, loony, headlong and blindfolded belief in an idea that is supposed to have the cure for all ills.  And if we are hoping for an atheist, rational, enlightened society, maybe that is simply too much to ask of the human race, sorry to say so.  There's nothing that indicates that creating such a civilisation is possible, practically speaking.  
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 05:49
There is no God.

I also believe that nation states will eventually go, but we are a century away from that at least - and I don't support the idea, I just believe it will happen. People will be pursauded of the need to do away with borders, over time and through careful programing in the media, peddled by neo liberal governments.

I've always beeved monogamy is important as is the family unit, although I don't believe that allowing same sex couples to adopt etc is part of some kind of plan to 'destroy the family' Rolls eyes...

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>