Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Interviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pseudo/Sentai interview on occasion of new release
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPseudo/Sentai interview on occasion of new release

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pseudo/Sentai interview on occasion of new release
    Posted: October 19 2015 at 18:39
Oh great work, thanks for the interview and for contacting these guys. I love their weird and original music!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 10:44
Clapgreat interview on an occasion of an EXCELLENT album!

Edited by Komandant Shamal - October 18 2015 at 10:50
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 04:29

Svetonio: I noticed a certain shift towards the avant-prog on your new album entitled Bansheeface?

Greg Murphy This is certainly not intentional. We are really trying to write fun and engaging rock songs but they will often accidentally spin out of control. Scott and I were going through a good bit of Mars Volta, Mr Bungle, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum when we were in the early and middle stages of writing this album, but I don't know if we consider ourselves good enough musicians to think what we are doing is very "avant." The idea of writing music with zero boundaries, zero expectations, and doing whatever feels right for expression might end up creating that sort of sound without the attempt. Accidents usually create the most amazing music.

But to also say it's a shift towards avant-prog, if you listen to our first album (excusing the horrible mixing job) "Scrapes of an Enigmatic Nature" there's plenty of noticeably "weird" tendencies on that album in the vein of the Residents, etc. We hadn't really even listened to the Residents much at that point. Sometimes just completely letting go of all inhibition and just making stuff creates the strangest things. It wasn't about what even sounded good. It was about doing what we wanted to do no matter what.

Whether that is a particular band that inspired you to spice the new album with 'tron?

I'm not sure there was a particular band. I think the mellotron has this wonderful sound to it, and it is cheaper to use than it is to hire a session violist and violinist. I also always loved the idea of using older sounds within a modern context, to show that there are still interesting combinations of notes available. The idea of "throwback" music and sounds doesn't always have to be regressive. Just look at In Lingua Mortua (a band I discovered after this album was recorded.) They mix blackened death metal and 70's prog/fusion about as good as anybody.

I think I was on board with those sounds too because he loves the Beatles so much. We always want to keep that pop songwriting aspect within the music.

What did you use from equipment?

We pretty much cycled through amps until we got a solid sound. That Fender Deville 4x10 really has a solid screeching distortion for leads- it's the amp I usually use live, and we recorded the whole album except backup vocals in a nice high quality studio called Menegroth, Thousand Caves. I couldn't even tell you all the details of equipment used. All sorts of ridiculous analog compressors and equalizers as well as digital ones. I'm more of a composer than I am an engineer, which is why we put a LOT of trust into our engineer when it came to tones and equalizing everything. Oh, looks like that runs into the next question.

The sound of the new album is great. Who is responsible for it?

Colin Marston from all those crazy progressive extreme metal bands like Gorguts/Dysrhythmia.. Colin is one of the most intelligent, talented, humble, amazing people I will probably ever have the pleasure of working with. He understood that with this album we wanted a more 'timeless' sound and mastering job. Something that isn't over compressed and has varying dynamics but something that still sounds loud. There are few people I could have trusted to really understand how to mix something so layered but considering we are not even close to the craziest band he has worked with, it was good to trust him!

It is observed is that the work on the new album lasted a long time. What is the reason?

Yes! This was actually the first album we were working on together. We started writing some of it in late 2008. Thing is, when it came to record it, none of what we were capable of doing on our own seemed to work. We didn't even have a drummer, bassist, keyboardist, etc. We realized that we needed to shelf this album because it held such high importance to us. We decided to change our moniker to "Patient's Worth" to get some of our weird ideas out there. This helped, and slowly but surely we focused ourselves and reigned our weirdness in to the more refined ideas that were in our original songs. Then, there were some band separations happening and a bit of moving across the country along with transcribing all the songs into sheet music. There's also a matter of financial issues but no need to divulge those!

Synthesizer work on the album tells like that you've been listening to Electronic music a lot lately. What you're listening of electronics?

We always had electronic influence on music. I wouldn't say that those influences came from any particular groups or bands that we listen to. Certainly the shift that Radiohead made from Ok Computer all the way to Hail to the Thief certainly had implications in music. We didn't want to make those types of shifts from album to album though. We want all things to be fully integrated into the sound while still sounding very distinctly like us.

I would say that listens to a good bit of Justice and I listen to a good bit of Air when writing some of this stuff early on.

I watched your latest live performance on YouTube. Can you describe the place and your audience?

We played that show for our friends To Kill a Monster. It was their CD release show and we are huge fans of them as people and they were happy to have us ride in from NYC on a bus. The audience consisted of many friends and other random Ohio people that we had been missing while living in NYC. It was definitely a fun experience.

Who are the biggest influences on this album?

I would say The Mars Volta, Mr Bungle, the Beatles, Mastodon.

The instrumental parts on Bansheeface, especially the instrumental part in the title track, are excellent. Will the future be more instrumental in your albums?

Thank you! There's usually so much stuff going on along with the vocals it does always make the music stick out more then they draw back. We've already finished our next album and I can tell you that one is even more vocal heavy than this album. I'm working on another album at the moment which might have a few longer instrumental sections. I have a number of stories that I want to tell but I can't determine how I want to tell all of them yet.

The artwork of the album reminded me of Neue Wilde movement from '80s. Who is responsible for it?

Is 2015 was generally good regarding new prog albums, in your opinion?

Without going into too much detail, I feel like every single year since the invention of the internet is almost getting better in prog. No matter how many "big hitters" come out swinging, there are about 50 other little bands kicking ass while nobody cares. For instance, just look at this list of extreme prog metal bands that are too obscure to even be listed on MetalStorm. Every single one of those bands has at least some redeeming quality, and a decent number of them are some of the better bands you'll get to hear in extreme prog metal.
http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=3313

Furthermore, I've been fortunate enough to befriend a number of avant-garde artists on facebook and I've been able to stay pretty up to date on what's happening. You should check out the scene going on in Lyon, France. About 12-13 bands with all intersecting members, and all of them are playing some sort of weird progressive music. There's also Apathia Records, Blood Music, I, Voidhanger for those more extreme metal types. That list goes on. So many amazing labels with good music. Blood Music in particular has released Oxxo Xoox, Corpo-Mente, Irreversible Mechanism, Lychgate, remastered Gire, ALL this year! The list continues on.

Thank you for interview!

Thanks for taking the time to write out these questions and really any time that you have spent listening to the album! 

Edited by Svetonio - October 15 2015 at 05:34
 Post Reply Post Reply