Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed1985 - the peak year for neo-prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1985 - the peak year for neo-prog
    Posted: October 27 2015 at 05:08
Hello, i've just had a personal reappraisal of the neo-prog scene published on The Quietus. Hoping that some of you might be interested: http://thequietus.com/articles/19090-marillion-twelfth-night-pallas-iq-pendragon-review-neo-prog
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2015 at 08:28
I seem to remember a lot of neo prog bands scraping into the UK charts in that year and Marillion I guess had the highest selling album of that genre with Misplaced Childhood . That was neo's DSOTM (although both are vastly over rated imo)

However Arena had a consistent run in the charts during the 90's as well and with IQ making a splendid comeback with Ever and Subterranea I think that decade might have been a bit better although picking a year might be tricky. Also many would argue that Marillion's Brave was their best album ( I wouldn't)
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2015 at 13:16
I thought it was a nice piece. I must be of similar age to you and, growing up in the north of England in the eighties and getting into prog via neo, some of your experiences could have been mine.  My first and second prog records were Fly High Fall Far and The Wake, which blew my tiny mind.

EDIT: The bit about the perverse satisfaction of being consciously uncool resonated. Not to mention the M&S jeans.

Edited by Mascodagama - October 27 2015 at 15:53
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 01:43
Barring Misplaced Childhood, The Wake blows me away when I listen to it mostly. The tension Widow's Peak has is unlike anything I'm hear. That one is underrated as hell.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 09:35
Some other great neo albums:

Arena – SFTLC through The Visitor
Pendragon – The Jewel
Strangers On a Train – The Key Pt. 1 – The Prophecy
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2015 at 09:38
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I seem to remember a lot of neo prog bands scraping into the UK charts in that year and Marillion I guess had the highest selling album of that genre with Misplaced Childhood . That was neo's DSOTM (although both are vastly over rated imo)
I concur Misplaced Childhood is tremendously overrated, especially when Fugazi and Clutching at Straws blow it away!

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

However Arena had a consistent run in the charts during the 90's as well and with IQ making a splendid comeback with Ever and Subterranea I think that decade might have been a bit better although picking a year might be tricky. Also many would argue that Marillion's Brave was their best album ( I wouldn't)

Arena's first several albums were on heavy rotation when they were new. The kept it up until the departure of Wrightson, IMO.

Threshold's very first album is nearly a "heavy" neo album.
 Post Reply Post Reply