Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMidnight Sun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Midnight Sun
    Posted: October 29 2015 at 05:05
Anyone else familiar with this group? I first heard of them in the context of being one of the very first Danish hard rock/heavy metal groups, and earlier this year I've finally been able to track down their self-titled 1971 album. Turns out that it's closest to the first couple Scorpions albums when they were more progressive hard rock than heavy metal, but more willing to think outside traditional rock instrumentation and a higher level of technical proficiency - obviously way more disciplined and less "spaced out street jammer" in character. Still, along with the Canterbury Scene-esque jazz fusion influence and technical there's some very heavy riffs for 1971.

A couple sample tracks:

Another point of reference I think might be High Tide, but again the level of skill instrumental interplay and overall ambition seems to be a cut above. Also way more soft/loud dynamics.

Oh, and they're not to be confused with the German group Night Sun who were active at the same time and even sounded similar!
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 05:07
Surprised nobody here seems to have heard of them, their 1971 S/T does have a review here and you'd think with Roger Dean doing the album cover that's give it some amount of exposure. I've also been meaning to check out Rainbow Band and Young Flowers, the two bands that Midnight Sun came out of.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 13:42
On a related note, a while ago I discovered that my father shared a flat with their guitarist back in the 1970s! Denmark's a small country after all...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2015 at 05:42
Pretty cool album if I recall....but it's been ages since I last span it. 
Anyway, I too am a little surprised to see that no one has commented on this thread yet. Maybe they just need the proper Roger Dean cover art to wake em upBig smile
I know of at least a couple of members who own this album. After all they made a review of it.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2015 at 06:45
It does look like Danish progressive rock isn't anywhere as internationally popular as the Norwegian and especially the Swedish representatives of the genre, though.
 Post Reply Post Reply