Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Overrated Band of the 'Big Six'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 23>
Poll Question: Who is the most overrated band of the 'Big Six'?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [35.96%]
26 [12.81%]
28 [13.79%]
20 [9.85%]
37 [18.23%]
19 [9.36%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 15:30
I suspect it refers more to public popularity and concert venues and sales...than prog acumen.
All of the so-called big 6 had some commercial success.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2018 at 15:52
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Based on the PA rating of the artist's highest rated studio album, the current top 54 artists are:

01: Yes
02: Genesis
03: Jethro Tull
04: Pink Floyd
05: King Crimson
06: Van Der Graaf Generator
07: Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM)
08: Rush
09: Camel
10: Wobbler
11: Änglagård
12: Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso
13: Gentle Giant
14: Miles Davis
15: Harmonium
16: Frank Zappa
17: Mahavishnu Orchestra
18: Supertramp
19: Opeth
20: Mike Oldfield
21: Steven Wilson
22: Renaissance
23: Dream Theater
24: Magma
25: Bacamarte
26: Peter Hammill
27: Museo Rosenbach
28: Caravan
29: Robert Wyatt
30: Riverside
31: Porcupine Tree
32: Emerson Lake & Palmer
33: Hatfield And The North
34: Khan
35: Billy Cobham
36: Focus
37: Tangerine Dream
38: IQ
39: Area
40: Marillion
41: Return To Forever
42: Gong
43: Bubu
44: Steve Hackett
45: Queensrÿche
46: Pain Of Salvation
47: Le Orme
48: Tool
49: Henry Cow
50: Al Di Meola
51: Kansas
52: The Soft Machine
53: Santana
54: Birds And Buildings 

Which further adds to my point/question: why are some people insisting Genesis isn't "top 6" worthy?

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I did a brief net search and one person said it was coined by Jerry Lucky in his book Progressive Rock Files and another said he saw it in 2002 by Gordon in a new s group.... In one of them, on the newsgroup (rec.music.progressive), "Gordon (mailto:[email protected])" clarifies the situation for us, as he saw it in December 2002:

The Big Six of British progressive rock are ELPGenesisJethro TullKing CrimsonPink Floyd and Yes. This rating has nothing to do with the quality of their music. Certainly CamelGentle GiantRenaissance and VDGG, for example, are just as good. The Big Six title is for those bands that've had the most commercial success, the most influence and for shear [sic] longevity.
"
< -cfasync="false" ="/cdn-cgi/s/d07b1474/cloudflare-static/email-decode.min.js">

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing this.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 02:14
The Moody Blues & Hawkwind has been more commercial bands than King Crimson, but quess they´ve not been as influental...
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 14:07

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Based on the PA rating of the artist's highest rated studio album, the current top 54 artists are:

The ranking depends on the metric that is used. For example, to qualify for inclusion in the following list, an artist must have 2 albums in the top 100. Then the list is based on the sum of the QWR of the artist's top 2 albums:

01: Genesis
02: Pink Floyd
03: King Crimson
04: Yes
05: Jethro Tull
06: Van Der Graaf Generator
07: Camel
08: Rush
09: Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM)
10: Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso
11: Gentle Giant
12: Frank Zappa
13: Änglagård
14: Miles Davis
15: Steven Wilson
16: Dream Theater
17: Mahavishnu Orchestra
18: Opeth
19: Magma
20: Caravan
21: Porcupine Tree
22: Marillion
23: Pain Of Salvation
24: Santana

Similarly, to qualify for inclusion in the following list, an artist must have 3 albums in the top 100. Then the list is based on the sum of the QWR of the artist's top 3 albums:

01: Pink Floyd
03: King Crimson
04: Yes
05: Van Der Graaf Generator
06: Rush
07: Camel
08: Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM)
09: Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso
10: Gentle Giant
11: Frank Zappa
12: Miles Davis
13: Opeth
14: Steven Wilson

To qualify for inclusion in the following list, an artist must have 4 albums in the top 100. Then the list is based on the sum of the QWR of the artist's top 4 albums:

01: Pink Floyd
03: Yes
04: Van Der Graaf Generator
05: Rush
06: Gentle Giant

To qualify for inclusion in the following list, an artist must have 5 albums in the top 100. Then the list is based on the sum of the QWR of the artist's top 5 albums:

01: Genesis
02: Gentle Giant

No artist has more than 5 albums in the top 100 list.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
iancat87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 14:01
ELP is insanely overrated, and I've always felt that way. It always feels like they're just trying to show off, rather than write truly compelling material that means more than just "listen to all these notes! so many time changes! check out these ridiculous Moog sounds!" The songs just aren't there. They're all super talented players, but none of them are great songwriters.

To me, they get pretty close on the first record, and even closer on Brain Salad Surgery (big thanks to Peter Sinfield), but they never reached the heights of their peers -- ain't nobody touchin' Pink Floyd, but I don't even think ELP ever got close to Aqualung or Thick as a Brick.

And for me, as someone kinda new to this "Big Six" concept, I'm surprised that Tull is included. I get why they're here and I'm a fan, but I would actually just keep the other five in a conversation about a "Big ____" for prog.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 13:52
^^ To be fair, Emerson, Lake and Palmer were never darlings of prog listeners and I don't think that they are that great either but they certainly are not as overrated as say King Crimson.I mean King Crimson are so overrated it's not funny. People here seem to slobber over In the Court of the Crimson King and Red. I mean those records aren't bad perse but they really pale in comparison to the best Yes, Genesis, Van der Graaf Generator and Gentle Giant albums. Wow! It's not even a contest really
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

iancat87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 14:14
This is funny because I totally disagree. I think King Crimson are rated right where they should be!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 14:44
Most of those bands and artists are great but there are some really great bands who aren't on it one  of which is the Flower Kings. They even have their own thread on here for crying out loud. Tongue
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 14:50
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

^^ To be fair, Emerson, Lake and Palmer were never darlings of prog listeners and I don't think that they are that great either but they certainly are not as overrated as say King Crimson.I mean King Crimson are so overrated it's not funny. People here seem to slobber over In the Court of the Crimson King and Red. I mean those records aren't bad perse but they really pale in comparison to the best Yes, Genesis, Van der Graaf Generator and Gentle Giant albums. Wow! It's not even a contest really  

I'd tend to say KC are under rated. I'd place the majority of Crimson's catalog ahead of the vast majority of the output of Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull & Genesis. I guess it just becomes a matter of opinions. 

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - April 26 2018 at 14:50
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 16:20

Yes..and some other people 'slobber' over VDGG......isn't life weird?

;)
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 02:21

;)

Life is very weird indeed

;)
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 02:38

;)

;)

King Crimson overrated?! Are you trying to start a war on PA?! LOL (I almost did the same with my DSoTM thread).

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2018 at 02:40
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

;)

;)

King Crimson overrated?! Are you trying to start a war on PA?! LOL (I almost did the same with my DSoTM thread).

Yes, Crimson are overrated by Prog Archives and Prog Fans alike.
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

rmgatl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmgatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 20:07
I love ELP and think at his best, Emerson was a top notch composer of modern music. He inspired me to stick with piano, at a time when playing piano as a kid wasn't nearly as cool as sports or playing guitar. But a lot of folks are attracted to ELP based on imho their over-rating of Emerson as a technical player.
I read through some of the Emerson concerto tonight...then turned to practice Liszt Ballade 2, which is easier than it sounds, but not super easy. I then played through Rachmaninoff op. 39 no. 5 etude which is pretty hard. Emerson reminded me more of the Liszt - falls naturally in the hands, some harder sounding passages are really nicely patterned and not so difficult. Every time I play Rachmaninoff I marvel at what a pair of hands he must have possessed...the density of passages, the reach and power required.
So, I hate say, there are currently at least a couple thousand music students at conservatories and universities playing stuff Emerson probably would have struggled to play at his peak. Heck I'm just an advanced amateur playing this stuff.
However what most of those pianists (and I) haven't done is compose anywhere close to Emerson's level. It's the creativity not playing lots of notes fast I admire.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 12:44
What specific compositions/pieces by Emerson impress you...? Remember many of his things were often reworked classical pieces.
Haquin
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 12:55

;)

;)

Yes, Crimson are overrated by Prog Archives and Prog Fans alike.
King Crimson is not overrated. it´s just you who have problem with that Crimson is great band and you don´t understand it. Hope you someday understand that fact and stop terrorizing every Crimson thread.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 17:06
^It's ok ....he's just  sore because The Graf have lost so many polls lately.

LOL
Haquin
rmgatl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmgatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 17:43
Fwiw I'll mostly go to Endless Enigma, Trilogy, Tarkus, Karn Evil 9, Toccata, Concerto.I've played their version of Jerusalem by ear for British friends which is a nice arrangement. Pictures at an Exhibition is one solo piano piece that really begged for orchestration...ELP brought some energy to it. I've performed the standard solo piano version of Pictures and I think hearing ELP influenced how I played it. I used to play Bitches Crystal by ear which was fun. Never really got into the Joplinesque stuff. Lake had a pure voice and the ballades were a nice change, but I wasn't very drawn to them. I grew to like Pirates over time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 18:01

LOL

What'd VDGG get, like 1 victory out of 6 polls?

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 22:58

LOL

What'd VDGG get, like 1 victory out of 6 polls?
As far as I know he has done his Crimson terror for years here (I think he quite recently said he has written very negative review from in the court of, really haven´t read it and I will not). But not really my problem, if he like to be the idiot of this place, just keep going on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 23>