Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Overrated Band of the 'Big Six'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 23>
Poll Question: Who is the most overrated band of the 'Big Six'?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [35.96%]
26 [12.81%]
28 [13.79%]
20 [9.85%]
37 [18.23%]
19 [9.36%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 14:04
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

"Big" here refers to fame and popularity and i guess these six examples fit the criteria. It matters to some people I guess, I don't know... 

Let us aim to rise above such paltry considerations... Big smile 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 14:16
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

"Big" here refers to fame and popularity and i guess these six examples fit the criteria. It matters to some people I guess, I don't know... 
Let us aim to rise above such paltry considerations... Big smile 

"paltry"? I've learned a new word. LOL

I also do not understand people that classify their bands & albums in "tiers". Much worse than the whole "big 6". LOL
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 14:27

[
I also do not understand people that classify their bands & albums in "tiers". Much worse than the whole "big 6". LOL

I think the whole grading, rating, classifying, evaluating and categorisation thing appeals to analytical minds..

and Prog as a genre appeals to analytically minded people... Big smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 14:34
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

I think the whole grading, rating, classifying, evaluating and categorisation thing appeals to analytical minds..

and Prog as a genre appeals to analytically minded people... Big smile

No doubt about that. LOL I've seen this 'tier" thing with some metalheads as well. 

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 14:36

I've seen this 'tier" thing with some metalheads as well. 

Oh yes! Thumbs Up
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 15:23
The recognised Big Three of Hard Rock which is pretty much set in stone (or hard rock). Smile

Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Led Zeppelin
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 15:27

They were all great in their best periods. Thumbs Up
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 15:38
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

The problem is not the overestimation of one of these bands. 

The problem is the absence of Van der Graaf Generator.

Yes, I'd love to have VdGG among The Big Ones.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 15:45
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Among the Prog Archives Crowd, I'd say Genesis is the most overrated. 
Three Genesis albums sit in the PA top 15.  Whereas, ELP highest rated album ranked 85.  

I listen to Genesis and ELP equally.  I listen to the other four more.

I'd say, ELP is underrated.

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 16:39
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Among the Prog Archives Crowd, I'd say Genesis is the most overrated. 
Three Genesis albums sit in the PA top 15.  Whereas, ELP highest rated album ranked 85.  

I listen to Genesis and ELP equally.  I listen to the other four more.

I'd say, ELP is underrated.

Yes, 85 position.

Their "big four" operas, 

EL&P1, Tarkus, Trilogy, Brain Salad are good albums (similar quality) with some great track, but is there a masterpiece?

So, I voted for EL&P. 

As is well known to those who know me, I consider that group fundamental and seminal for the birth of symphonic rock, the historical importance of EL&P for the evolution of progressive rock is unquestionable (I should perhaps say the importance of Keith Emerson first with Nice and then with EL&P) - 

For example the three most popular Italian groups (Banco, Pfm, Orme) were inspired by Emerson, or, another example the transcription in rock guise of classical music compositions and the display of virtuosity on the piano with long original musical scores worthy of classical music are always due to Emerson, but.... 

but I cannot find any real masterpieces in their albums despite the fact that they have one of the best singers of the seventies, Greg Lake. 

From a compositional and melodic point of view, EL&P are really lacking, and even their long suites show this lackness: much elaboration, little inspiration. There are also often many modest short tracks on their albums. Emerson and Palmer's overflowing virtuosity sometimes (often) takes over from the composition, which suffers as a result.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. My evaluation is still the same: EL&P have great historical importance, and therefore in this matter they deserve to be considered "big", but if I judge the quality (beauty) of their albums today, this is much poorer than that of the major albums of the golden age of prog.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 16:42
These days I would say ELP is underrated in prog circles. Most prog fans seem to not think so highly of ELP it seems. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 17:12
^ You'd be right according to this poll.  Their sense of showmanship and business acumen has tainted their prog street cred.  

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 17:40

All I can say is that ELP is one of the three bands who have made the largest number of albums I love really much. 
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 17:43

All I can say is that ELP is one of the three bands who have made the largest number of albums I love really much. 

May you unveil the oracle?

Which are the three bands?

And which are the albums by EL&P you love?
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 17:58
The word overrated is overrated.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 22:19
Pink Floyd.  Every other band on the list had an amazing guitarist, but PF basically had a speeded up blues guitarist. 

Some fine music, but I don't put them in the same category as the others.

BTW, Greg Lake was amazing on both bass guitar and 6 string guitar.  I don't know why ELP gets hammered on this website.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 22:27
Definitely Emerson....

I own all their albums, but I rarely listen to them these days. To my ears they´ve written very few good songs. I mostly listen to their albums to hear technical playing details and that´s not enough to land them in top 6 of progressive rock artists.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 03:02

ELP lacking masterpieces apparently yet just about every track off their first 5 albums are interesting at the very least. There are a few throwaway tracks but their importance is always blown way out of proportion. ELP actually had personalities and enjoyed getting out there and doing it. Emerson had no interest in spending a year working out the fine details of the production anymore than Lake or Palmer. A lot of bands prefer to spend an inordinate amount of time in a studio possibly because they are more comfortable not being in front of a live audience. I've tried watching old concerts of Yes and Genesis and they are pretty dull in truth. ELP were never that. The only one of the big six that could hold a candle to ELP live was Tull. They were actually superb in that arena but also put out many solid albums and maybe a few masterpieces. The overrated band is easily Pink Floyd notwithstanding I love WYWH and Animals, they dine out on the incredible success of DSOTM, basically just a very good album with some polished guitar work and admittedly great lyrics from Waters which provided a perfect commentary for modern life and the various stresses it poses. Musically it's not that interesting to me though and Nick just plods his way through it. They did step up with the next 2 but is that enough really.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 04:19
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Which are the three bands?

And which are the albums by EL&P you love?

ELP, Genesis and Pink Floyd.

The first four studio albums, and I'm quite fond of Pictures as well. 

Edited by David_D - April 30 2023 at 04:40
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 06:43
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

ELP lacking masterpieces apparently yet just about every track off their first 5 albums are interesting at the very least. There are a few throwaway tracks but their importance is always blown way out of proportion. ELP actually had personalities and enjoyed getting out there and doing it. Emerson had no interest in spending a year working out the fine details of the production anymore than Lake or Palmer. A lot of bands prefer to spend an inordinate amount of time in a studio possibly because they are more comfortable not being in front of a live audience. I've tried watching old concerts of Yes and Genesis and they are pretty dull in truth. ELP were never that. The only one of the big six that could hold a candle to ELP live was Tull. They were actually superb in that arena but also put out many solid albums and maybe a few masterpieces. 

Yes, I think, ELP were very influential for the popularity of Progressive Rock in the '70s.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 23>