Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Overrated Band of the 'Big Six'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 23>
Poll Question: Who is the most overrated band of the 'Big Six'?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [35.96%]
26 [12.81%]
28 [13.79%]
20 [9.85%]
37 [18.23%]
19 [9.36%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 08:03
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

EL&P1, Tarkus, Trilogy, Brain Salad are good albums (similar quality) with some great track, but is there a masterpiece?

About masterpieces, I find much masterwork in ELP's first five albums, not least Emerson's keyboard playing,
and I have the impression that it's quite admired among musicologists - and as said, the first five albums certainly work to me. Tongue

Edited by David_D - April 30 2023 at 13:06
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 15:30

But I have to admit that ELP is certainly not one of The Big Six according to the ratings on RYM and PA.  Cry
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 16:11
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

But I have to admit that ELP is certainly not one of The Big Six according to the ratings on RYM and PA.  Cry
To me ELP are the most "child of their time" out of the bands in the poll. I think that's the reason their music largely fails to communicate to younger generations. I'm exaggerating a bit. But I do believe that's why they have lost more of their fanbase since the 1970's than any of the other five other bands in the so-called Big Six. I know some people here, strongly dislike that this is even an issue for others, but it's also about how they sound. Personally I know they are "great", but I can't listen to them. I don't enjoy their musical approach in similar ways to how I don't enjoy Janis Joplins singing style. I know she was "great" too, but it doesn't really help me much.

-that aside I don't think any of these six are overrated. They're all rather fairly rated.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - April 30 2023 at 16:53
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 16:22
^ Fairly put -

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 16:52

EL&P1, Tarkus, Trilogy, Brain Salad are good albums (similar quality) with some great track, but is there a masterpiece?

About masterpieces, I find much masterwork in ELP's first five albums, not least Emerson's keyboard playing,
and I have the impression that it's quite admired among musicologists - and as said, the first five albums certainly work to me. Tongue

Of course, everyone has their own tastes and evaluations. I have tried to express the reasons why I consider EL&P to be not up to the standards of the other great prog groups.

The album on Pictures of an Exhibition by Musorgsky is emblematic of EL&P's greatness and limitations, because Emerson made an album for the first time by transposing a classical composition into rock music, but, in my opinion, many parts of that work are embarrassing.

The musicologist Enrico Merlin, a jazz guitarist, in his book '1000 records for a century', which is based on his choice of the most innovative records, puts Tarkus and Pictures, pointing out that the Tarkus suite will be taken as a model for many prog suites, and that Pictures was a unique experiment, because Emerson did not make a simple musical transposition, he improvised on Musorgsky's music. Two records for a band is a lot, it means that the historical value of EL&P is big. At the same time, Merlin admits that their music has aged badly, that Emerson in Pictures is not very competent when he plays swing, and that many of their songs are musical quotations of other composers' pieces (he also writes which ones), without Emerson writing this in the credits.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 17:01
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Based on the PA rating of the artist's highest rated studio album, the current top 54 artists are:

01: Yes
02: Genesis
03: Jethro Tull
04: Pink Floyd
05: King Crimson
06: Van Der Graaf Generator
07: Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM)
08: Rush
09: Camel
10: Wobbler
11: Änglagård
12: Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso
13: Gentle Giant
14: Miles Davis
15: Harmonium
16: Frank Zappa
17: Mahavishnu Orchestra
18: Supertramp
19: Opeth
20: Mike Oldfield
21: Steven Wilson
22: Renaissance
23: Dream Theater
24: Magma
25: Bacamarte
26: Peter Hammill
27: Museo Rosenbach
28: Caravan
29: Robert Wyatt
30: Riverside
31: Porcupine Tree
32: Emerson Lake & Palmer
33: Hatfield And The North
34: Khan
35: Billy Cobham
36: Focus
37: Tangerine Dream
38: IQ
39: Area
40: Marillion
41: Return To Forever
42: Gong
43: Bubu
44: Steve Hackett
45: Queensrÿche
46: Pain Of Salvation
47: Le Orme
48: Tool
49: Henry Cow
50: Al Di Meola
51: Kansas
52: The Soft Machine
53: Santana
54: Birds And Buildings

Here in the beginning of 2018, 
Now a lot of things have changed....

Edited by jamesbaldwin - April 30 2023 at 17:02
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 17:19
^ Later in the thread, I also made lists based on top two albums, top three albums, and top four albums, in which Van der Graaf Generator are in the top six.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 17:58

^ Later in the thread, I also made lists based on top two albums, top three albums, and top four albums, in which Van der Graaf Generator are in the top six.

Even in this one Vdgg are in the top 6.

Now the ranking for 1 album is

1) Yes
2)Genesis
3) Pink Floyd
4) King Crimson
5) Jethro Tull
6) VdGG

----

7) Camel
8) PFM
9) Rush
10) Banco
11) Anglagard
12) Zappa
13) Gentle Giant
14) Davis
15) Harmonium
16) Wobbler
17) Mahavishnu Orchestra
18) Caravan
19) Renaissance
20) Supertamp
21) Dream Theater
22) Museo Rosenbach
23) Steven Wilson
24) Hammill
25) Oldfield
26) Porcupine Tree
27) Opeth
28) Magma
29) Wyatt
30) Return to forever

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 18:14

Even in this one Vdgg are in the top 6.

Now the ranking for 1 album is

1) Yes
2)Genesis
3) Pink Floyd
4) King Crimson
5) Jethro Tull
6) VdGG

----

7) Camel
8) PFM
9) Rush
10) Banco
11) Anglagard
12) Zappa
13) Gentle Giant
14) Davis
15) Harmonium
16) Wobbler
17) Mahavishnu Orchestra
18) Caravan
19) Renaissance
20) Supertamp
21) Dream Theater
22) Museo Rosenbach
23) Steven Wilson
24) Hammill
25) Oldfield
26) Porcupine Tree
27) Opeth
28) Magma
29) Wyatt
30) Return to forever

Sure VDGG is more popular Than ELP among Prog Archive folk...as far as album ratings are concerned.  In the 1970s, ELP sold out places like Madison Square Garden multiple nights in a row.  Whereas, VDGG played one USA show before Nearfest 2009.   I don't even know what point I'm making.  Maybe, "My, how times have changed."  
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 18:31
I love VdGG so much more than ELP that it's not even funny. But the former band's popularity on PA is in no way reflected on their Monthly Listeners on Spotify - which is where most people consume music nowadays (not me though. I just like looking at numbers).

1 Yes - 3 639 156*
2 Genesis - 7 465 831**
3 Jethro Tull - 2 622 139
4 Pink Floyd - 19 315 019
5 King Crimson - 984 198
6 Van Der Graaf Generator - 56 086
7 PFM - 120 029
8 Rush - 4 067 311
9 Camel - 362 137
10 Wobbler - 10 971
11 Änglagård - (not on Spotify)
12 Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - 39 018
13 Gentle Giant - 193 051

32 ELP - 883 974

-so If the Big Six is supposed to consist of the six biggest and most important first generation UK prog acts, I think ELP belongs among them. I can’t see that they got any serious contenders, as «being big» is partly just a popularity contest. These numbers doesn’t tell the full story. I know. But it’s a clear enough indication that in the real world VdGG is still an obscure band, that very few know about.

*Owner of a Lonely Heart has the same amount of plays alone as Yes' nine following top songs has combined.
**Only the mainstream version of Genesis is represented in top songs. 1970-1980 or prog era-Genesis would end up closer to King Crimson in monthly listeners.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - May 01 2023 at 00:18
VultureCulture07 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VultureCulture07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 18:33
I think the point you're trying to make is ELP was far more popular to the masses in progs peak. For example I never heard of Van Der Graf Generator until relatively recently, granted I am young but ELP was one of the first pog bands I ever heard of.
My Link     I make content here... Sometimes
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 18:51
^ They knew how to market themselves and for that they will forever pay a price.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 18:53
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

But it’s a clear enough indication that in the real world VdGG is still an obscure band, that very few know about.

Up until I started to get onto the internet, I thought of Van der Graaf Generator as an obscure band. When I was offered to purchase the "AllMusic Guide to Rock Music" book during the mid-to-late '90s, I checked for a Van der Graaf Generator entry, regarding that as a test of comprehensiveness (it passed, so I purchased it).

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 19:15
Van der Graaf Generator is a cult band.

Vdgg disbanded in 1971, after Pawn Hearts, so the band was absent in the most important years of prog: 1972, 1973, 1974.

They were most successful in Italy.

When the band returned to the scene, they did not propose anything particularly new and remained a cult band. Basically it remained Peter Hammill's band, a cult artist who has been totally out of the spotlight since the 1980s.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 19:48
People are throwing around the word "masterpiece"; for me, ELP's first several albums qualify. I don't consider them an overrated group at all. And they have stood the test of time well for me. I really don't give a rat's ass what counts "in the grand scheme of things". 
                         The most under-rated prog band is Triumvirat-but that is for another thread.
VultureCulture07 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VultureCulture07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 20:10
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

People are throwing around the word "masterpiece"; for me, ELP's first several albums qualify. I don't consider them an overrated group at all. And they have stood the test of time well for me. I really don't give a rat's ass what counts "in the grand scheme of things". 
                         The most under-rated prog band is Triumvirat-but that is for another thread.

And with those parting words, you have gained my complete respect. Triumvirat for the win, I'm trying to get my hands on Mediterranean Tales. Also I agree with your comments on the ELP and the others
My Link     I make content here... Sometimes
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 01:09
If Triumvirat is the most under-rated Prog band, then I wonder if Russian Roulette is its most underrated album by Proggers? And À La Carte also has woeful ratings.

ELP is my least favourite of the big six very easily, and Pink Floyd and King Crimson are my favourites. That said, I wouldn’t generalize about it being overrated. My thinking is that things commonly are overrated by some and underrated by others, but when judging others value judgements it makes sense to try to look at specific claims. Holding something in high value because you enjoy it is not overrating it, putting it on a pedestal as exemplary while making false/ dubious claims and holding false beliefs, and making invalid, unacceptable, insufficient, irrelevant, and unjustifiable arguments in favour of it, is overrating it.   I could argue that it is likely that the more something is known the more overrated it will be by individuals, and the same likely would hold true for it being underrated by the most individuals (it is both the most underrated and overrated) in which case Pink Floyd would be the most obvious choice, but I won’t vote.

Edited by Logan - May 01 2023 at 01:34
Just a fanboy passin' through.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 01:59
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

If Triumvirat is the most under-rated Prog band, then I wonder if Russian Roulette is its most underrated album by Proggers? And À La Carte also has woeful ratings.

ELP is my least favourite of the big six very easily, and Pink Floyd and King Crimson are my favourites. That said, I wouldn’t generalize about it being overrated. My thinking is that things commonly are overrated by some and underrated by others, but when judging others value judgements it makes sense to try to look at specific claims. Holding something in high value because you enjoy it is not overrating it, putting it on a pedestal as exemplary while making false/ dubious claims and holding false beliefs, and making invalid, unacceptable, insufficient, irrelevant, and unjustifiable arguments in favour of it, is overrating it.   I could argue that it is likely that the more something is known the more overrated it will be by individuals, and the same likely would hold true for it being underrated by the most individuals (it is both the most underrated and overrated) in which case Pink Floyd would be the most obvious choice, but I won’t vote.

Of course, when I ever refer to Triumvirat as an under-rated prog band at all, I don't mean those two albums! More like their first four. And that is my opinion on it.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 02:45
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Of course, when I ever refer to Triumvirat as an under-rated prog band at all, I don't mean those two albums! More like their first four. And that is my opinion on it.

Indeed, I did not think you or others here would refer to those albums as underrated Prog or any kind of Prog. I have only heard a bit of À La Carte, but what I have heard of Russian Roulette is not Prog in my book. What I have often heard is that people as Proggers will tend to underrate albums by bands well-known for making Prog that have moved away from Prog (maybe into pop-rock, or more AORish music etc.). So they are judging those albums by Prog standards, and by what the band did before, rather than on the albums own merits. From what I've listened to from those albums, well, it didn't sound good to me ears by any standards I hold dear, and so I was kidding around a bit, but also trying to allude to Proggers being dismissive of non-Prog, ands kinds of commercial music by bands commonly regarded as Prog.

The common claim I have often seen about Triumvirat is that it is an ELP clone or too derivative and imitative of ELP, or that it's a poor man's ELP, and that Jürgen Fritz is a Keith Emerson wannabe, and if one disagrees with such claims then that would seem the most likely way to view others as underrating Triumvirat based on my experience. I read a review recently of À La Carte which claimed how they were still doing an ELP by also releasing a Love Beach like album in the same year (maybe the review said following the same trajectory because I expect that the Triumvirat came out a little earlier?) Anyway, they did both move into the same POP/AOR direction and both released very bad to me ears albums in 1978 and beyond. It's interesting the spectrum of opinions I have heard on Triumvirat's sounding like ELP. I remember at least one who disliked ELP and really liked Triumvirat.

Edited by Logan - May 01 2023 at 03:05
Just a fanboy passin' through.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 04:48
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

To me ELP are the most "child of their time" out of the bands in the poll. I think that's the reason their music largely fails to communicate to younger generations. I'm exaggerating a bit. But I do believe that's why they have lost more of their fanbase since the 1970's than any of the other five other bands in the so-called Big Six. I know some people here, strongly dislike that this is even an issue for others, but it's also about how they sound. Personally I know they are "great", but I can't listen to them. I don't enjoy their musical approach in similar ways to how I don't enjoy Janis Joplins singing style. I know she was "great" too, but it doesn't really help me much.

-that aside I don't think any of these six are overrated. They're all rather fairly rated.

very interesting and informative  Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 23>