Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Overrated Band of the 'Big Six'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212223
Poll Question: Who is the most overrated band of the 'Big Six'?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [35.96%]
26 [12.81%]
28 [13.79%]
20 [9.85%]
37 [18.23%]
19 [9.36%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 00:55
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

^ I agree but
Originally posted by Stressed Cheese Stressed Cheese wrote:

Not to mention that I'm sure there are as many prog fans who absolutely can't stand VdGG than those who love them.
that's a thing VdGG and ELP have in common.

Well, I'm not sure that there are many prog fans who absolutely cant satnd VdGG than those who love them.
Don't take it so literally. It's just an observation: ELP and VdGG are typically two of the more polarizing bands - while Genesis and Yes aren't, thats all.
Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 04:00
Originally posted by bardberic bardberic wrote:

I went to a record store and overheard some woman talking to her daughter about the "underrated band, Pink Floyd," and that their most "underrated album is Animals." During my first year at university, in my required writing 101 class, there was a student who wrote an essay on "Pink Floyd, the most underrated band ever" and how Animals is "their absolute most underrated album." Ad f**king infinitum.

I agree that it's silly to call Pink Floyd, one of the most popular bands in the history of music, underrated. But one thing to consider is that Pink Floyd is know by almost everyone for their radio-friendly output, e.g., those couple singles from The Wall, the title track on WYWH, Money, etc. There's probably many people who don't know much Floyd beyond this, and I certainly get the impression that, despite being an album in their most popular era, Animals isn't that well known among the average non-fan, unlike the other albums from 1973-1979. I've had people react surprised when I put on some more unknown Floyd ("really? that's Pink Floyd?"). Also, you could definitely call their 60's output underrated, IMO.

I mean, I still wouldn't call Floyd underrated obviously.

It also doesn't help that most Pink FLoyd fans are like Tool fans - they don't stfu about the artist and will relentlessly call them the greatest band ever. Music that changed their life. Etc.

Well, they're one of the most popular bands ever...what do you expect? You could say the same about Beatles fans.

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Don't take it so literally. It's just an observation: ELP and VdGG are typically two of the more polarizing bands - while Genesis and Yes aren't, thats all.
Yeah, exactly. They're a more acquired taste, and as such, you're going to have more people who just can't stand them. You probably won't find as many people who absolutely can't stand Genesis, Floyd or Renaissance or what have you. Some artists when people don't like them they just feel ambivalent or bored, and some it's more of an active dislike. Like, I'm a huge Zappa fan, but I'm not going to pretend there's probably a lot of people who won't be able to stand the majority of his stuff. Some artists are just like that.

Edited by Stressed Cheese - May 04 2023 at 04:01
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 16:14
They're all overrated, but not by me. So, who did it? Ermm

Edited by suitkees - May 04 2023 at 16:26

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 16:38
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

They're all overrated, but not by me. So, who did it? Ermm

Oh, well, I agree LOL

(with the exception of King Crimson - Pink Floyd? Hmmm).
"Happiness is real only when shared"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 21:21
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Regarding having too much fun with ELP, I know that I like plenty of bands had fun in the music... Focus' Hamburger Concerto was one of my first Prog loves, and I still love it. Or Magma with Attahk, but there is something distasteful about ELP's (particularly Emerson) show-offery, which makes it comes off as yobbish. And I use sexual innuendo, and can be crude, but things like Taste of My Love and a title like Brain Salad Surgery leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I do think that if ELP came across as more refined then they would be more highly regarded by the Prognoscenti. They commonly are seen more as showmen, quite in your face ones, more than serious musicians and composers. Being an introvert, and very reserved in public (I have social anxiety), I have trouble identifying with them -- come across as too rowdy and crude for me. And honestly, In the Hot Seat is so terrible and the lyrics of Daddy are horrible. They were never nearing consistently good to my ears, but I really do like some ELP music, and enjoy the debut mostly.

'Yobbish' is a new one on me. Lyrically ELP can be dismissed mostly yet Trilogy is actually a prety stand up album in that dept. Lake was good with semi religious themes and showed that on Endless Enigma well enough. However ELP knew they were basically a festival band and the main attraction. BSS is my favourite album and for many years I had no comprehension of the connection to the sexual act that it referenced. It just sounded cool. Apparently the record company had to remove the shaft of light on the album cover that Giger and ELP had wanted to be left in!
I think my main point is that the theatrics detracted from just how good their music was and that seems to have left a hole somehow. I dream that in a hundred years ELP's early music will be regarded in the same way as classical music is. That is actually what Emerson really wanted. Btw In The Hot Seat is abominable, ELP were totally 'gone' by that point.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 00:58
Jethro Tull should not be on this list. I love ELP and I am not surprised that some don't enjoy their bombastic style. I would put VDGG instead of JT. I don't care much about whether some bands are overrated. I am sticking with my Big 6 until the end. So JT is my choice for this poll.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 03:06
For me , King Crimson and Yes are the most over-rated. Far too much of their music sounds to me to be clever for the sake of cleverness, rather than having artistic merit. 
Boi_da_boi_124 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boi_da_boi_124 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 19:38
For me, I believe the most overrated of the six is Jethro Tull. I have no hate towards them at all ('Thick As A Brick' is one of my favorite albums of all time), it's just that I think they didn't influence prog as a whole better than any of the other five.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2023 at 01:04
Originally posted by Boi_da_boi_124 Boi_da_boi_124 wrote:

For me, I believe the most overrated of the six is Jethro Tull. I have no hate towards them at all ('Thick As A Brick' is one of my favorite albums of all time), it's just that I think they didn't influence prog as a whole better than any of the other five.

"Big" here just refers to popularity so JT fits the criteria, like it or not. Smile
runciblemoon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runciblemoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2023 at 06:58
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

"Big" here just refers to popularity so JT fits the criteria, like it or not. Smile

These kinds of misunderstandings always occur any time anyone brings up the big six anywhere online. Lots of people seem to read it as an explicit endorsement on the part of the OP. It's frustrating, because for all its flaws, the big six is a genuinely useful concept when examining the commercial and cultural impact of first wave UK prog, but any time it comes up someone is guaranteed to start suggesting bands that "ought" to be included, thus completely missing the point of the concept.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2023 at 07:21
It's a really good point, based on ELP's size and popularity in the 70's they are an absolute lock for a Big 6. But when it comes to overrated you are talking about how you personally feel about their music compared to the general population. In this case specifically the PA membership. 

I absolutely accept ELP as a member of the Big 6 I just don't personally rate their albums as highly as others in comparison to how highly I rate the other 5 of the Big 6. Therefore the most overrated of the Big 6 for me personally.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2023 at 07:46
I did a quick check of my personal album rankings of the top 4 albums by each of the Big 6 and how they compared to the general PA ratings.

Here are the average number of stars higher or lower that the average my ratings are:-

Yes -0.11
Genesis -0.71
King Crimson +0.19
Jethro Tull -0.15
ELP -0.95
Pink Floyd -0.19

So I rate ELP roughly one star lower than average so they are my personal most overrated. Genesis come in second for me nearly 3/4 of a star lower than average.
Ian

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2023 at 22:38
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I did a quick check of my personal album rankings of the top 4 albums by each of the Big 6 and how they compared to the general PA ratings.

Here are the average number of stars higher or lower that the average my ratings are:-

Yes -0.11
Genesis -0.71
King Crimson +0.19
Jethro Tull -0.15
ELP -0.95
Pink Floyd -0.19

So I rate ELP roughly one star lower than average so they are my personal most overrated. Genesis come in second for me nearly 3/4 of a star lower than average.

Curious, I went to check your reviews and so far you've only reviewed 2 symphonic prog albums and neither of then are by ELP, Yes or Genesis . In fact I struggled to find your reviews for any of the top six. I note you gave 5 stars to Pink Floyd -Wish You Were Here which I heartily agree with! I tend to disregard ratings with no reviews in all honestly. I like to see the reasoning behind 1 or 2 stars. I get that you may not have the time of course and would rather stick to bands that need more coverage which is commendable.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2023 at 04:44
I'm not much of a reviewer, I don't particularly enjoy it, so I stick to other activities. My ratings are taken from my Gnosis profile where I've rated all the album I own.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - May 10 2023 at 04:46
Ian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212223