Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Overrated Band of the 'Big Six'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 23>
Poll Question: Who is the most overrated band of the 'Big Six'?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [35.96%]
26 [12.81%]
28 [13.79%]
20 [9.85%]
37 [18.23%]
19 [9.36%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 16:59
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Who is 'overrating' ELP? All I ever see is hate for them.

Many see it as hip to lash out against ELP.  Some cool kids who smoke outside the gymnasium told them it was so they submitted to peer pressure and it's now their reality.

Ah because we don't like a band it must be because we are sheep not that we don't actually like the band, glad you explained that for me. 

For my next trick maybe I'll attempt to explain what having a sense of humor is like.

So you like pictures of beautiful women (that broad from MythBusters is kind of a pig). So what. So do I, but how ordinary. How about some Butta' faces ("Everything about her is fine butta' face.")?

Edited by Rednight - October 30 2015 at 17:01
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 17:47
NONE, they're all great.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 18:03
I suppose it depends on what you mean by "overrated". If one was strictly going on record sales, King Crimson would be the last by a tens of millions margin. If you were to go on output or longevity, it would have to be ELP.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 20:39
I voted Yes, because I couldn't vote for (against) any of the others.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 21:41
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

None of them is overrated. All of them deserved their highest places in the hierarchy of 70s progressive music. Though, Pink Floyd weren't regarded as a progressive rock band but as a psychedelic rock band back in the day, and I say this as a big fan of the greatest psychedelic rock albums ever made, like Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, Wish You Were Here and Animals.

How can you mention Animules and not Dark Side of the Moon? For shame, sir, for SHAME!

Actually, I do like Wish you were here and Animals more than Dark Side of the Moon... perhaps even Meddle too (Echoes is better than anything on Dark Side).
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 02:28
"Animals" is in my opinion below par; it sounds to me as if PF did not get their asses out of their seats for it. "Meddle" on the other hand is excellent, all of it, even "Seamus", which is hated by many (I have no idea why)

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Altairius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Altairius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 02:30
I don't think you people quite get the meaning of "overrated".
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 03:02
^ Sure we do and the word is absolutely meaningless.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 06:07
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

None of them is overrated. All of them deserved their highest places in the hierarchy of 70s progressive music. Though, Pink Floyd weren't regarded as a progressive rock band but as a psychedelic rock band back in the day, and I say this as a big fan of the greatest psychedelic rock albums ever made, like Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, Wish You Were Here and Animals.

How can you mention Animules and not Dark Side of the Moon? For shame, sir, for SHAME!

Actually, I do like Wish you were here and Animals more than Dark Side of the Moon... perhaps even Meddle too (Echoes is better than anything on Dark Side).
100% AGREE
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 06:13
Originally posted by Altairius Altairius wrote:

I don't think you people quite get the meaning of "overrated".
You Right. Honestly I don't understand "Overrated" . We don't agree about "Overrated" definition and each of us have our own definition of "Overrated" and this show me : "Overrated" is meaningless.(IMO)
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 10:36
None of these bands is in my personal "Big Six".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 11:00
^ Ofcourse. You have your own opinion and Point Of View. Can I ask you What are your "Big Six"?
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 11:16
I'd probably go along with BaldJean. Those bands are much more interesting. But I would not go for "Big Six" anyway. Why not name a Top Ten? That would for me include Embryo, Tangerine Dream, The Ozric Tentacles (the only band not founded in the 70s or late 60s) and King Crimson (the only of the "Big Six" I would include in that Top Ten) besides Hawkwind, Gong, Magma, Amon Düül 2, Van der Graaf Generator and Can.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 11:44

I don't know about "History of making BIG SIX" . I mean I don't know why these bands make "Big Six" and as you said why not Top Ten? I like all of them plus "Tangerine Dream" , "Magma" , "Can" , "Van Der Graaf Generator" , "Renaissance" and ... BUT not all of their albums and I can't say which of them better.

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 13:20

Exactly my thoughts.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 18:12

Exactly my thoughts.
Yeah, I'm a Wish You Were Here guy myself.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 01:32
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

"Animals" is in my opinion below par; it sounds to me as if PF did not get their asses out of their seats for it. "Meddle" on the other hand is excellent, all of it, even "Seamus", which is hated by many (I have no idea why)

I do like Meddle, and most of it is pleasant. But I feel A Pillow of Winds and Fearless are good, but not as exciting as other stuff the band has released, San Tropez is a bit less to my taste, and Seamus is the one I like least on the album. Strangely enough, I find Mademoisell Knobs sort of pleasant on Live at Pompeii...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 10:42
Well for me it has to be Pink Floyd...I have always thought they were overrated.
For me many of their albums and tracks are just not that great and somewhat boring at times.
I suppose I could say the same for ELP after BSS.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 10:50
Meddle has half an hour of great music (Echoes+OOTD) and the rest is OK.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skalla-Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 13:16
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I'd probably go along with BaldJean. Those bands are much more interesting. But I would not go for "Big Six" anyway. Why not name a Top Ten? That would for me include Embryo, Tangerine Dream, The Ozric Tentacles (the only band not founded in the 70s or late 60s) and King Crimson (the only of the "Big Six" I would include in that Top Ten) besides Hawkwind, Gong, Magma, Amon Düül 2, Van der Graaf Generator and Can.

Do you know Sensations Fix? Judging from your preferences (Gong, Hawkwind, Ozrics), I'm sure you would like them.

Edited by Skalla-Grim - November 01 2015 at 13:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 23>