Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWeir Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these weird movies do you like best??
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [10.00%]
4 [40.00%]
2 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weir Movies
    Posted: November 01 2015 at 18:22
Some of my favourite movies, but all of them extremely weird.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 18:40
When I saw the title I thought....wow, Bob Weir acted?

Anyway, Zardoz is the only one I've seen, so can't vote.

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 18:50
"Weir" was a typo I noted too late; missed to type in the "d".

And what is your opinion on Zardoz?

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 19:04
The gun is good; The penis is evil.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 19:15
Friede, it was SO long ago that I can't even remember, plus I was baked at the time.  Sorry, wish I could recall

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 19:18
^ It was a baked kinda movie; if you didn't see it on a double-bill with something like Barbarella in a smoke-filled balcony of a ratty theater, you were doing it wrong.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 19:26
II loved it, but I agree Sean Connery in a red diaper is an acquired taste.

A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 19:36
I've only seen Mulholland Drive, judging by how much I liked it I doubt any of the others would replace it but still I'll abstain from voting.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 19:54
I will give a short synopsis of each movie, taken from IMDB:

The Pontsman: A woman gets off a train by mistake and finds herself stranded alone with a peculiar man who doesn't even speak her language.

The Holy Mountain: In a corrupt, greed-fueled world, a powerful alchemist leads a Christ-like character and seven materialistic figures to the Holy Mountain, where they hope to achieve enlightenment.

El Topo: A mysterious black-clad gunfighter wanders a mystical Western landscape encountering multiple bizarre characters.

Viva la Muerte: At the end of the Spanish civil war, Fando, a boy of about ten, tries to make sense of war and his father's arrest. His mother is religious, sympathetic to the Fascists; his father is accused of being a Red. Fando discovers that his mother may have aided in his father's arrest. Sometimes we witness Fando imagining explanations for what's going on; sometimes we see him at play, alone or with his friend Thérèse. Oedipal fantasies and a lad's natural curiosity about sex and death mix with his search for his mother's nature and his father's fate. Will Fando survive the search?

Zardoz: In the distant future, a savage trained only to kill finds a way into the community of bored immortals that alone preserves humanity's achievements.

Mulhhollandd Drive: After a car wreck on the winding Mulholland Drive renders a woman amnesiac, she and a perky Hollywood-hopeful search for clues and answers across Los Angeles in a twisting venture beyond dreams and reality.

The synopsis for "Viva la Muerte" is quite long, but then it is perhaps the weirdest movie of them all. Here one of the weirdest scenes from it. Careful, it is quite disgusting, as many scenes in that movie. The scene I mean starts at 1:57

Edited by BaldFriede - November 01 2015 at 20:02

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 20:14
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ It was a baked kinda movie; if you didn't see it on a double-bill with something like Barbarella in a smoke-filled balcony of a ratty theater, you were doing it wrong.

No, I saw Naked Lunch in that ratty theater. 
Zardoz I saw in my friends living room at 3am after a mammoth session of partying.  Probably a double feature with THX 1138.  Those were the daysLOL

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 20:16
THX 1138 is a movie Jean and I could have starred in. LOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 20:21
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

THX 1138 is a movie Jean and I could have starred in. LOL

It's great fun, isn't it?  Lucas started well, I like the diversity of his first 3 films!

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 20:25
I never saw it completely; only some scenes. But I remember the bald people. Well, we two are a bit balder than they were even.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 20:26
Oh you should watch it Friede if you two are fans of weird movies, quite a ways from Star Wars for sure!

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 20:33
Ok, we will. I just found the full movie on youtube. Unfortunately it is with German synchronization; we would have preferred it in the English original. But since we both speak German it is no problem to watch it.

Edited by BaldFriede - November 01 2015 at 20:34

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 22:02
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Ok, we will. I just found the full movie on youtube. Unfortunately it is with German synchronization; we would have preferred it in the English original. But since we both speak German it is no problem to watch it.

Thumbs Up  hope you like it

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 03:58
We watched and.. um.. had no real idea what was going on. O.k., there is this totalitarian system, and some people don't fit in -- this is not a new idea, see "Brave New World" or "1984". But in the whole it wass extremely weird.

I should have added "Weekend" by Jean-Luc Godard. Synopsis: A supposedly idyllic week-end trip to the countryside turns into a never-ending nightmare of traffic jams, revolution, cannibalism and murder as French bourgeois society starts to collapse under the weight of its own consumer preoccupations.

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 05:46
I've only seen half of the these movies:
- Mullholland Drive: I've enjoyed it, but I don't feel it like being weird... Huh, maybe am I too much of a weirdo myself to be puzzled by this one...? Anyway, for me, it's a perfect example of pure cinema, since the scenario seems to be only driven by pure esthetical researches.

- Zardoz: to my eyes, it looked like a version of Logan's Run directed by the Monty Python. I mean, it's not a bad movie, but it's on the verge of ridiculous. I guess the British sense of camp have found its way to the direction. And about the outfits (especially Connery), at least there is a visual coherence...

- El Topo: I have heavily mixed feelings about this one. I still can't say it it's the work of a true innovator that I didn't understand, a misdirected and half-missed movie or a stupid joke from a bufoon. Stern Smile

By the way, there are a couple I would like to recommend to you:
- Hausu: a 1977 Japanese movie about a haunted house. Expect a true surrealist experience!

- Alucarda, la hija de las tiniebras (Alucarda, the daughter of the darkness): a Mexican horror movie, about a young girl growing up in a convent only to be confronted to the forces of evil... It may be ridiculous at some scenes (and I admit having laughed more than a couple of times), but the costumes of the nuns and the set-up (the walls of the convent look like a mixture of organs, honey and God only knows what else!)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 06:02
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

I've only seen half of the these movies:
- Mullholland Drive: I've enjoyed it, but I don't feel it like being weird... Huh, maybe am I too much of a weirdo myself to be puzzled by this one...? Anyway, for me, it's a perfect example of pure cinema, since the scenario seems to be only driven by pure esthetical researches.

- Zardoz: to my eyes, it looked like a version of Logan's Run directed by the Monty Python. I mean, it's not a bad movie, but it's on the verge of ridiculous. I guess the British sense of camp have found its way to the direction. And about the outfits (especially Connery), at least there is a visual coherence...

- El Topo: I have heavily mixed feelings about this one. I still can't say it it's the work of a true innovator that I didn't understand, a misdirected and half-missed movie or a stupid joke from a bufoon. Stern Smile

By the way, there are a couple I would like to recommend to you:
- Hausu: a 1977 Japanese movie about a haunted house. Expect a true surrealist experience!

- Alucarda, la hija de las tiniebras (Alucarda, the daughter of the darkness): a Mexican horror movie, about a young girl growing up in a convent only to be confronted to the forces of evil... It may be ridiculous at some scenes (and I admit having laughed more than a couple of times), but the costumes of the nuns and the set-up (the walls of the convent look like a mixture of organs, honey and God only knows what else!)

Oh, I know the standard explanation for "Mulholland Drive", but it has holes; there are too many things in the movie that are not explained by that.

The standard explanation is that the first part is a dream and the second part reality. But in a dream you are always at the scene, even if only as an observer. But the character who is supposed to be dreaming is in many scenes not present at all, which in my opinion collapses the dream hypothesis completely.

Edited by BaldFriede - November 02 2015 at 06:15

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 06:27
Well, I wasn't even talking about the explanation... Since I've never heard about said explanation!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>