Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWere things really better in the 70s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 01:39
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ What a bitter, depraved, bullsh*t thing to say.  "Hey man, I'm a gifted musician and most of the world doesn't care and they're all fools and so are the record companies...and your little dog, too".   No, Mr. V, the world doesn't care because they'd rather not listen to poofy electronic New Age.   Yes Mr. V, The Police and Van Halen and U2 have sold more records than you.   You're a highly successful composer with a career many would die for.   Deal with it and stop whining.

In fact, Mr Papathanassiou in 1976 was already a big star signed to RCA (and he was not doing any "electronic New Age" at the time as you insinuating), and if he then complained about the music industry, we can ask ourselves a quite logical question: when was that big time for the musicians with a new ideas, original approach, etc? In above posted interview from 1976, Vangelis Papathanassiou was mentioned 60s as a good era, but, on the other side, I have read an interview with John Entwistle (RIP) where he said that The Who in 1968 were waiting at JFK for the money for their air-tickets to return home from the tour, as they were broke after that U.S. tour as actually in the entire 60s, and that was changed only after Tommy was released. So, when there was that big time for young musicians with "crazy ideas", of just the artists which main purpose wasn't solely to make music to the masses? Never.

Edited by Svetonio - November 08 2015 at 02:35
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 02:02
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

In the early seventies I saw many arena sized concerts for $5, $6 and $7. 
Those were big name concerts with three bands.

Exactly right. Anyone could afford great tickets to any show. And all you had to do was grab a sleeping bag, a lawn chair, a guitar and a few beers and sit in line in a parking lot over night to get tickets.Wink

This is why I don't agree with the person who said that what has changed is the audience. No, the audience is still there; what's changed is the economics. Hardly anyone can make a living anymore. There was one musician recently - his band is popular, they sell out concerts wherever they play in Europe and the US - who talked about how he has like twenty dollars in his savings account. It's just unreal, what's happening today...
I agree that audience is still there. For example, I'm going to see Oregon tonight, one of my favourite bands ever; it will be for third time that I see them live, as I saw them live at two concerts in 80s, also in my country. And there is great interest of the kids for tonight's concert, more than it was in 80s.
Then, why the concert-organizers here do not organize more concerts of that kind of music, but of young musicians, instead of constantly brings up garage rock bands? Probably because they do not want to risk at all.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 02:03
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

in my opinion they were. the freshness has been taken out of the music. everything has to be "perfect" now, which in essence means "boring". the only thing I really still like are some live albums, but modern studio albums usually bore me because everything is sterilely clean
That's an attitude from 5 to 10 years ago, things have changed since then as more music producers start feeling the same way. They are learning to use the new production tools better, and that is inevitable. You still get the occasional throw-back who believes that can only be achieved using the same equipment that was available in the 1970s but they are few and far between. It is not the tools that produce homogenised productions, it is the people who use them. Even in 1970s Prog there were bands that strived for studio perfection and other bands that couldn't give a rat's arse. Back then there were bands who wanted to replicate the studio sound on stage and other's that did not (or could not).

What we should try avoiding is using our personal tastes as a meter and we must avoid comparing apples with orang-utans. We have to ignore generic pop music of today just as we ignored it in the 1970s - and that goes for all other styles of music around today that we would have never in a million years listened too back in the 70s. Pop music is bland crap today, but it was no more or no less bland crap back in the 70s. Just because someone tolerated or even enjoyed mainstream rock in the 70s it does not mean they can compare it to the mainstream rock that is being released today because it's not the same kind of mainstream rock. 

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 02:09
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

^ What a bitter, depraved, bullsh*t thing to say.  "Hey man, I'm a gifted musician and most of the world doesn't care and they're all fools and so are the record companies...and your little dog, too".   No, Mr. V, the world doesn't care because they'd rather not listen to poofy electronic New Age.   Yes Mr. V, The Police and Van Halen and U2 have sold more records than you.   You're a highly successful composer with a career many would die for.   Deal with it and stop whining.

In fact, Mr Papathanassiou in 1976 was already a big star signed to RCA (and he was not doing any "electronic New Age" at the time, as you said), and if he then complained about the music industry, we can ask ourselves a quite logical question: when was that big time for the musicians with a new ideas, original approach, etc? In above posted interview from 1976, Vangelis Papathanassiou was mentioned 60s as a good era, but, on the other side, I have read an interview with John Entwistle (RIP) where he said that The Who in 1968 were waiting at JFK for the money for their air-tickets to return home from the tour, as they were broke after that U.S. tour as actually in the entire 60s, and that was changed only after Tommy was released. So, when there was that big time for young musicians with "crazy ideas", of just the artists which main purpose wasn't solely to make music to the masses? Never.

Clap I agree. 

Shocked
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 02:44
Another thing to think about: If you were around in the 1970s you would not have been able to hear all the great music from the 1970s that you can hear today.

That may sound like a contradiction but it is a sad reality. Today I can buy any album that was released in the 1970s, I may have to pay a lot for a very rare album, but in general I can get practically any 1970s album delivered to my door in a few days for a few quid. 

You couldn't do that in the 1970s. Record stores had limited shelf space and so only stocked latest releases and high-selling albums. Low-selling albums had one production run and were deleted from the label's catalogue, some unsold albums were sold-off at discount prices but after the fuel crisis of 1973 most unsold vinyl was recycled. Very few stores sold import albums and their stocks of those were small. Mail-order existed but the range of music available through them was very limited and the postal costs for an LP were often more than the cost of the album itself. You may have been able to find one or two albums by a particular band but their entire back-catalogue would be very difficult to find - this applied to all artists, not just obscure or lesser-known ones. 

I can be nostalgic about the hours I spend trawling through every record store in every town I ever visited because that was the game back then, that was what being a music fan entailed. However, I cannot be nostalgic about all those albums I never managed to find but can now order with one-click online, or all those albums that I'd never even heard of back then that I can see at a glance on this website...

Edited by Dean - November 08 2015 at 02:46
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 03:02
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

In fact, Mr Papathanassiou in 1976 was already a big star signed to RCA (and he was not doing any "electronic New Age" at the time as you insinuating), and if he then complained about the music industry, we can ask ourselves a quite logical question: when was that big time for the musicians with a new ideas, original approach, etc? In above posted interview from 1976, Vangelis Papathanassiou was mentioned 60s as a good era, but, on the other side, I have read an interview with John Entwistle (RIP) where he said that The Who in 1968 were waiting at JFK for the money for their air-tickets to return home from the tour, as they were broke after that U.S. tour as actually in the entire 60s, and that was changed only after Tommy was released. So, when there was that big time for young musicians with "crazy ideas", of just the artists which main purpose wasn't solely to make music to the masses? Never.

In other words the Who sold a lot of records and tickets and Mr. Papathakawakanaka not so much.   He's pissed-off and resentful.   The guy should write all struggling musicians an open letter apologizing for his childish, unappreciative temper tantrums, thank the universe for his inexplicable success, and shut the f*ck up.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 03:13
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Another thing to think about: If you were around in the 1970s you would not have been able to hear all the great music from the 1970s that you can hear today.

That may sound like a contradiction but it is a sad reality. Today I can buy any album that was released in the 1970s, I may have to pay a lot for a very rare album, but in general I can get practically any 1970s album delivered to my door in a few days for a few quid. 

You couldn't do that in the 1970s. Record stores had limited shelf space and so only stocked latest releases and high-selling albums. Low-selling albums had one production run and were deleted from the label's catalogue, some unsold albums were sold-off at discount prices but after the fuel crisis of 1973 most unsold vinyl was recycled. Very few stores sold import albums and their stocks of those were small. Mail-order existed but the range of music available through them was very limited and the postal costs for an LP were often more than the cost of the album itself. You may have been able to find one or two albums by a particular band but their entire back-catalogue would be very difficult to find - this applied to all artists, not just obscure or lesser-known ones. 

I can be nostalgic about the hours I spend trawling through every record store in every town I ever visited because that was the game back then, that was what being a music fan entailed. However, I cannot be nostalgic about all those albums I never managed to find but can now order with one-click online, or all those albums that I'd never even heard of back then that I can see at a glance on this website...

Some good points here, though I'd shed a different light angle

It is the information about those rare or import releases that lacked us back then - and of course the cash to afford them in case you did hear and wanted them. In Toronto, I had an import store (called Record Peddler) where Gong and Magma and Banco were available, but it was at 20.00 a pop, sealed (and therefore not availble for a listen)... and 20.00/pop for newspaper dekivery routes money was just too expensive. But it was available, as were all these strange Vertigo, Neon, Dawn label releases.
So yeah big stores like Sam The Record Man had huge spaces (including jazz & classical music), but maybe not a wide import selection, but most of 70's music could bemore or less easily found if you knew about it

Yup as well: I still think a lot about my weekly saturday afternoons taking the train downtown and hitting quasi all the record store (including my two fave second-hand ones) on the way uptown and all the way back downtown and coming back by train, unwrapping mot of my acquisitions in front of disapproving grown-ups;...  Nostalgie, quand tu nous tiens... LOL But to be honest, I'm a bit appalled (and slightly ashamedEmbarrassedLOL) at the amount of hours wasted in those spending spree trips, as I must've had an awful lot of time to waste then.Embarrassed

Something I simply can't afford the time (or the patienceSleepy)... or even have the wish to do so  if I did have the time to spare... I mean, i get quickly bored looking through stacks of albums (vinyls or CDs) after some 20 minutes... My best music  buddy who is still going on strong through whatever record shops still around every second week or so. And he's going to the world-famours three-days Utrecht record fair this month (only his third time though). Whereas I'm already tired (bored, actually) after a morning of the Ghent record fair Ouch- which is rather small scale, compared to Utrecht anyway.

Edited by Sean Trane - November 08 2015 at 03:16
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 05:17

That's not true, Dean. In Cologne, where I live, there was a record store named Saturn (it still exists). You could get any album there; they prided themselves for that and even advertised with it. It usually even was in stock, but if you told them of an album which they did for some reason not have they would get it for you. My oldest brother, who is ten years older than me, bought his whole huge collection there.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 05:42
Negatives:
Being asked whether you were a mod, rocker or punk at school. Getting punched regardless of answer.
Holidays in Cumbria where it has rained every day since 1066.
My entire record collection consisted of a 7" single of Puff the Magic Dragon.
Being sent to bed before The Professionals came on TV.
Elvis died, causing much consternation to my pal Carl, who used to come to school wearing a bootlace tie aged nine.

Positives:
School trip to Natural History Museum.
Outstanding scenic beauty of the Leeds/Bradford conurbation.
50p a week pocket money.
Buying 4 Mojos for a penny.
Parents owned one rock album. Osibisa's Woyaya, since you ask.
Blondie on Top of the Pops. Confusing but not unpleasant sensations vis a vis Debbie Harry.

On the whole, no.
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 05:48

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">It really was not better in the 70s.</span>

No, it wasn't.   But in our minds, certainly mine, the memories are lovely and halcyon and only the fun remains.   Rock still alive and thriving; Saturday Night Live in its youth; Double bills of bad exploitation flicks on weekend afternoons in sticky theaters; Running around the streets on warm summer evenings and then making it home to watch Mary Hartman,Mary Hartman followed by Fernwood Tonight and maybe an old Twilight Zone.

We were richer when we were poorer.

This, totally.

Double bills of bad exploitation Flix = heaven

Running around the streets on warm summer nights, racing home to watch Twilight Zone or an evening Godzilla movie (hey, I was just a kid in the 70s) = nirvana. MHartman and F2Nite were two of my faves. SNL was new (I remember watching the first one w/G Carlin, thinking how awesome it was; shortly after I discovered SCTV and that was better, like something from another planet). Saw my first concert (Genesis) back then.

But kids today have their own stuff going on that they'll be nostalgic for as well. Maybe things aren't the same for "prog" music, but there is still stuff going on that has depth and quality if one looks for it. I just have a wife, kids, mortgage, full time job, etc. The only new music I know is the Barney and Elmo songs! But I work with younger kids (20 somethings) who ain't stupid and are pretty sharp. They love their generation's musc, see shows, and will probably be just as defensive and nostalgic for this era when they're older. So, it was great back in the 70s but I don't know if it was better.

Edited by bucka001 - November 08 2015 at 05:50
jc
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 05:55
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

That's not true, Dean. In Cologne, where I live, there was a record store named Saturn (it still exists). You could get any album there; they prided themselves for that and even advertised with it. It usually even was in stock, but if you told them of an album which they did for some reason not have they would get it for you. My oldest brother, who is ten years older than me, bought his whole huge collection there.

I suppose you're not speaking of the Saturn downtown (very disappointing selection), but the one on the Blvd with the subway station (let's call it midtown).  OK, I've been going to it since the mid-90's, but it's now hardly the shadow of its former self (which is why I haven't been there in three years). Yes, back in the 90's their offer was fairly impressive, but Saturn is a big chain store selling household appliances as well - bit like Mediamarkt was doing a decade ago. 

Did it (that Saturn store) exist in the 70's or even the 80's, though??

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 06:00

Just because you knew of one record store where your brother could get "any album" does not mean that what I said was not true. There are exceptions to everything, there wasn't a 'Saturn' in every city in Germany or every place in the world where record stores existed, not every album ever released went through distributors so you couldn't get them everywhere, least of all in a record store in Cologne. It beggars belief to have to say any of this - every album ever released in the 1970s was available to buy at some time in the 1970s but if the album had been deleted, which many of them where, then finding it would be more difficult, if not impossible. There were even deletion specialists you could go to in the hope of finding a long-deleted album but that was no guarantee you would actually find what you were looking for.

Edited by Dean - November 08 2015 at 06:04
What?
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 06:10
I think the basic mechanism behind the "things were better back then" sentiment is selective memory.  Unless your childhood was traumatic, you'll fondly remember the music that reminds you of it.  Or the music that was playing in the café when you first kissed your great love.  Etc.  No matter how cheesy those songs really were.

Each time had its good music, and its awful music.  But everyone likes to remember the good stuff, and forget the bad stuff.  Like, you often pull your Yes records from the cabinet, but not your Osmonds records (if you had any).  In the end, it seems as if music was better back then.  The fallacy lies in comparing the music you like of a past age with the music that's on the market today, and in such a skewed comparison, the old music will always win.

In the year 2050, people may remember Dream Theater and Spock's Beard (or Muse and Coldplay, to draw examples from more mainstream music), but Justin Bieber will probably be forgotten.  And they'll say, "Oh, how much better was the music of the '10s!".

And what regards the state of the world, the 70s weren't any better than our time.  Just look at it: half of Europe under the Soviet yoke.  Apartheid in South Africa.  Military dictatorships in South America.  All these things are now gone.  Of course, there are other troubles today, but I don't think they are worse.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 06:32

Just because you knew of one record store where your brother could get "any album" does not mean that what I said was not true. There are exceptions to everything, there wasn't a 'Saturn' in every city in Germany or every place in the world where record stores existed, not every album ever released went through distributors so you couldn't get them everywhere, least of all in a record store in Cologne. It beggars belief to have to say any of this - every album ever released in the 1970s was available to buy at some time in the 1970s but if the album had been deleted, which many of them where, then finding it would be more difficult, if not impossible. There were even deletion specialists you could go to in the hope of finding a long-deleted album but that was no guarantee you would actually find what you were looking for.

As long as an album was still in print you could get it at Saturn, Dean. And in the 70s those albums usually were in print. There may have been odd exceptions, but those were certainly rare. You have no idea who huge that store was, and it has even grown to double the size meanwhile.

What's more, each artist had a cubicle of his own in the shop, with the name an a list of his/hers/its albums on an acrylic glass screen. If the album was not in that cubicle you could go to the store shelves an look it up there. If it still wasn't there you went to one of the employees and told them about it, and they would order it for you, even if an album was not listed in their store. They would get it for you then and add it in their shelves.

By the way, the HMV store in London was quite similar. My brother even found it some way superior to Saturn after he had been there (though not in the number of albums sold there), and that really meant something. The Virgin Megastore, located quite near HMV in the same street, was another shop like this; you could certainly not only get albums of the Virgin label there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_%28store%29

Edited by BaldFriede - November 08 2015 at 07:00

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 07:01
Well, music was better IMO especially prog which is probably why so many contemporary prog bands try to imitate that classic sound.

Beyond that, the 70's were fairly bleak IIRC. I was only a child but I seem to remember skinheads everywhere, and spending many evenings without electricity.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 07:16

As long as an album was still in print you could get it at Saturn, Dean. And in the 70s those albums usually were in print. There may have been odd exceptions, but those were certainly rare. You have no idea who huge that store was, and it has even grown to double the size meanwhile.

What's more, each artist had a cubicle of his own in the shop, with the name an a list of his/hers/its albums on an acrylic glass screen. If the album was not in that cubicle you could go to the store shelves an look it up there. If it still wasn't there you went to one of the employees and told them about it, and they would order it for you, even if an album was not listed in their store. They would get it for you then and add it in their shelves.

By the way, the HMV store in London was quite similar. My brother even found it superior to Saturn after he had been there, and that really meant something. The Virgin Megastore, located quite near HMV in the same street, was another shop like this; you could certainly not only get albums of the Virgin label there.
I really couldn't flying fart how big 'Saturn' was or is, or how they displayed their stock or whether you could order stuff they didn't stock or not. You've missed the whole point by a wide country mile it really does matter one jot. Not everyone could shop there, or at either of the large record stores in London - today everyone on the planet can shop on-line and buy - that's the difference. One or even ten exceptions are wholly irrelevant, it is only the general rule that has any relevance.

However...

An album would have one production run, of say 10,000 copies - those would be sent to distributors and from there on to record stores. To overcome the reluctance for disty's and stores to stock unknown artists the labels operated a sale or return policy, so any unsold albums could be returned, and many were. Because of the oil crisis in the 1970s the vinyl in those returned albums was recycled to make new albums, needless to say, the label would not produce a second pressing for that album and they would delete it from their catalogue. The total number of copies in circulation was therefore considerably less than 10,000 and what few there were remaining had already been sold or were still sitting in the remainder bins of record stores who hadn't bothered to return them. Within less than a year of an album being deleted the chances of finding a copy would be small. Production-runs were always in the thousands, they certainly would not print a few hundred copies to feed a diminishing demand. 

If at some later date there was an upsurge in popularity for that artist, then the album could be re-issued. For example this happened in 1972 for David Bowie when RCA re-issued his out-of-print back catalogue, so your presumption that those albums were usually in print is unfounded, many were not, it most definitely was not "certainly rare". 

I was a regular shopper at HMV on Oxford Street (and the later Virgin Megastore, which didn't exist until 1979!) and you certainly could not buy every album ever released in the 1970s there, irrespective of how big the store was. I also shopped at the original Virgin shop at the Marble Arch end of Oxford St. in the early 70s when it sold mainly German imports alongside records of, (shall we say), dubious origin.

Edited by Dean - November 08 2015 at 07:17
What?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 07:36
i just phoned my brother about this. He said there certainly were albums that were out of print, and you could not get them then. But anything that was in print could be bought there, and that was as he says the majority.

He also says that even if albums were out of print there were ways you could get them. There were two big 2nd hand record stores in Cologne, and twice a year there was a record fair where you could get rare albums. He said he bought many a gem there.

He also mentioned that the albums that came out on the label "Mood Records" were exclusively sold at so-called 2001-shops. 2001 had shops in Cologne, Hamburg, Frankfurt and a fourth city he can't recall. The albums of the "United Jazz and Rock Ensemble", a band that is in the archives, were for example published by Mood Records.

He also said that Saturn was and still is is the biggest record shop he has ever seen.

So at least in Cologne it was quite easy to get most records.

Edited by BaldFriede - November 08 2015 at 07:36

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 07:54
I'll take that as an apology. Wink
What?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 08:08
From personal experience living in rural England with a small number of record stores the selection was small, add to that the fact you could only find out about this stuff from reading the music press, it difficult to know you were even missing it. Now someone on a music forum mentions a band you've never heard of and you can have fully researched them and listened to their albums within hours. The music in the 70's was great but frankly I was unaware of 90% of it until the internet.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 08:17
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

In some ways, yes. In others, definitely not.

In the 70s, good beer was hard to find. Houses were cold and miserable by comparison with now. Cars were much less enjoyable to drive and people died of diseases which are now curable. We were all living in fear of nuclear war.

But we didn't have social media making everyone into an internet warrior and making us all feel inadequate because everyone had more friends than us (I actually have none because I won't use facebook). We didn't have IS and Al-Qaeda terrorising the world. F*****g mobiles didn't dominate everyone's life, though if you crashed your car, you had to sort it out yourself! And AIDS was not a constant fear.

As for music, there was lots of great stuff in the 70s: prog was big and there were loads of big prog gigs from some amazing bands. And there still is, though at a lower level.

Very much swings and roundabouts, I guess.

I think this is a marvellous post
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>