FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg and Cars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog and Cars
    Posted: November 07 2015 at 15:34
Not sure if anyone else ever theorized this before, but it seems to me that the ascendance of rock and roll and cars kind of went hand in hand. In fact, what many consider to be the very first rock and roll song ("Rocket 88") was about a car. The rebelliousness of teenagers with their first cars (or motorcycles) was soundtracked by this new musical form. Not only were so many songs *about* cars ("Baby you can drive my car," "Round round get around, I get around"), but rock's *function* - the propulsive rhythms and energy - seemed to mirror the automobile, and was designed to be listened and experienced while in the car. (That's why Queen's "I'm in Love with My Car" might be my favorite song ever ;-)

[I'd also argue that rock's demise is also the demise of the car...]

Okay, enough of that backstory. How about prog? Are there many prog tracks about cars, driving, life in the fast lane, dark desert highways, highways to hell, Trans Ams, Maseratis, Cadillacs, James Dean, the open road, running on empty, trucking, crusing on a motorcyle, magic buses, crosstown traffic and freeway jams, racing down the street, making out in the backseat?...

I can think of a few. Kraftwerk's Autobahn, Rush's Red BarchettaNeu!'s Hallogallo (their motorik beat was meant to soundtrack driving a car), Radiohead's Airbag, the aforementioned Queen's I'm in Love with My Car.

What else am I missing? Any thoughts on the relationship between cars and rock? And how does prog fit in?

Edited by jude111 - November 07 2015 at 15:49
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 15:42

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 15:45
I'm always really interested in such theories! Though this seems a little too far to me...
I think there aren't many prog songs about cars. Maybe because cars was a often used topic in pop songs, prog bands didn't want to write about it. Also it seems like a subject which isn't that interesting if you want to give a certain message with a song.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 15:59
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

I'm always really interested in such theories! Though this seems a little too far to me...
I think there aren't many prog songs about cars. Maybe because cars was a often used topic in pop songs, prog bands didn't want to write about it. Also it seems like a subject which isn't that interesting if you want to give a certain message with a song.

That's cool that you're in the Netherlands, a place which was horrified by car accidents and pedestrian deaths, especially of children, fought back against cars, and built amazing bike-friendly pedestrian-friendly infrastructure.

Do people listen to rock when riding bikes? I found that when I was living in Europe and often taking trains, the music I wanted to hear was techno. So much of German techno seemed designed for listening on a train - futuristic, moving to the rhythms of travel by train...

I'll wager you are right - we'll find that mainstream, more traditional rock and roll, particularly American r&r, is more concerned with the car. I think that's why American critics tended to be wary of European rock forms such as prog. US critics had such a conservative view of what rock should be, and thought it shouldn't stray too far from its 'roots' (Elvis, Chuck Berry, etc.). That's why they loved Bob Seger and ridiculed Jethro Tull and Yes. But since rock didn't originate in Europe, Europeans felt much freer to play with it, innovate and be creative. That is both why European rock (e.g. the various British Invasions) was so exciting, but also why places like the UK were so quick to abandon rock and move on to new musical forms, or to stretch rock even further into dance and rave forms...

Edited by jude111 - November 07 2015 at 16:05
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 16:10
You can see so many people in Holland riding on the bike, listening to music with earphones and there are quite some rock fams too, sadly rarely a prog fan...
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 16:13

You can see so many people in Holland riding on the bike, listening to music with earphones and there are quite some rock fams too, sadly rarely a prog fan...

How can you tell what they're listening to if they have earphones/earbuds? Confused
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 16:20
I always think of prog as kind of urban music, not really compatible with rural areas and long car rides. Although I do listen to prog while in the car.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 16:30
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

I always think of prog as kind of urban music, not really compatible with rural areas and long car rides. Although I do listen to prog while in the car.
I think it's the best kind of music for long car rides, it sure seems much shorter when I play some Prog epics Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 16:31
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

How can you tell what they're listening to if they have earphones/earbuds?

Well you can't know directly of coarse but you can know when people listen to rock in general, and that's quite some at least of my age.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 16:39
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I think it's the best kind of music for long car rides, it sure seems much shorter when I play some Prog epics Wink

agreed, and I have about a 40 minute ride to work, so that's two sides of TFTO - but it's not Bruce Springsteen, which I what I think of when I think of music and cars rather than music in cars.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 16:46

I never thought of prog as urban music. I think of hip-hop and jazz fusion and funk music as urban, certain kinds of dance music like techno and house.

Like, Genesis is all medieval knights, Victorian drawing rooms and hunting foxes at the country manor; Jethro Tull is about minstrels on heavy horses singing songs in the woods; Camel's music conjures caravans and the moon over a desert oasis; Yes: "in and around the lake mountains come out of the sky"; Pink Floyd does the ocean (Echoes) and the creepy countryside pretty well (Cirrus Minor, Grantchester Meadows, and axe-wielding serial killers named Eugene); Rush does songs about trees in forests vying for sunlight, with Tom Sawyer off skipping stones across the river...

This is really interesting to me. Which prog bands or albums would we say are urban? I know many of these bands were in fact from the city. I think Hawkwind were in the city; yet their music seems to be about exploring outer space more than urban spaces... I'll have to think about this Wink

** One album I think of as urban is Marillion's Brave, and certain tracks, like Invisible Man.

Edited by jude111 - November 07 2015 at 17:12
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 16:49

agreed, and I have about a 40 minute ride to work, so that's two sides of TFTO - but it's not Bruce Springsteen, which I what I think of when I think of music and cars rather than music in cars.
In my case it's 20 minutes, so I can't listen to epics, but there's a lot of Prog with shorter tracks Smile My long drives are normally to attend concerts Thumbs Up I always turn off the radio when they play Sprinsteen Confused
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 16:50
This works when driving in the vastness of Wyoming under the Big Sky

Neil Young

Edited by timothy leary - November 07 2015 at 18:38
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 17:19
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

How can you tell what they're listening to if they have earphones/earbuds? Confused

This reminds me, there's a really cool Youtube series called "What Are You Listening To?," set in various cities around the world, especially Europe and Asia. I find it far more interesting than it has any right being, and can spend hours watching it. Basically, the interviewer stops people in the streets and asks them what they are listening to; the answers are often surprising and interesting. Here's the Amsterdam edition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ0gW2YoaxA

Edited by jude111 - November 07 2015 at 17:49
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 18:23
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

I never thought of prog as urban music. I think of hip-hop and jazz fusion and funk music as urban, certain kinds of dance music like techno and house.

Like, Genesis is all medieval knights, Victorian drawing rooms and hunting foxes at the country manor; Jethro Tull is about minstrels on heavy horses singing songs in the woods; Camel's music conjures caravans and the moon over a desert oasis; Yes: "in and around the lake mountains come out of the sky"; Pink Floyd does the ocean (Echoes) and the creepy countryside pretty well (Cirrus Minor, Grantchester Meadows, and axe-wielding serial killers named Eugene); Rush does songs about trees in forests vying for sunlight, with Tom Sawyer off skipping stones across the river...

This is really interesting to me. Which prog bands or albums would we say are urban? I know many of these bands were in fact from the city. I think Hawkwind were in the city; yet their music seems to be about exploring outer space more than urban spaces... I'll have to think about this Wink
** One album I think of as urban is Marillion's Brave, and certain tracks, like Invisible Man.

I agree with what you say, yet I think of prog as urban because it's so fair removed from what is "natural" - in spite of the lyrics, there is a sophistication and intellectualism to prog that could only come from an "unnatural" environment.  It's not music that you would make sitting around on the back porch.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 18:43

There seems to be a trajectory to cars and rock. At first, in the 50s and early 60s, cars symbolized youthful rebellion and freedom in music. (Not all was rosy; Lennon: "He blew his mind out in a car; he hadn't noticed that the lights had changed.") As the 70s wore on, in Southern rock, 'ramblin' men' took to the highway because they're 'freebirds,' movin' from town to town. But out on the west coast of the US (LA, the first postmodern city, a sprawling suburb with no urban center), the highway was becoming an ominous thing: There were creepy hotels; killers on the road with brains squirming like a toad; life in the fast lane will surely make you lose your mind; the car is running on empty. And then in the 80s, on the east coast with Springsteen, the car promised a way out of the city (re: white flight), which is depicted as a jungleland. Living at the edge of NYC, in a New Jersey suburb, he could've headed into the city; instead, he fled, drove straight out to Nebraska, as far as one can get. (If he had been older, his migration would've probably been to Florida.) But yet ultimately the promise of the highway is broken; the car doesn't offer freedom, and the road just goes on and on, to nowhere...

Most people don't know the origins of techno. It originated in Detroit in the early 80s among black musicians in the city, and was influenced by Kraftwerk and funk. Detroit was of course the auto capital of the US, but with de-industrialization the city was rapidly deteriorating. A key early techno track is called "Cosmic Cars," http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOBUqCIXXWY and imagines a different kind of flight from the city:  futuristic flying cars piloted by black astronauts and heading for outer space. Germans went wild for the music coming out of Detroit, the music crossed over to Europe, and the rest is history. 

Anyway, this is probably getting too far from the topic, "Prog and Cars" LOL

Edited by jude111 - November 07 2015 at 19:18
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 19:05
Nobody mentioned Roundabout yet? LOL
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 21:28

There seems to be a trajectory to cars and rock. At first, in the 50s and early 60s, cars symbolized youthful rebellion and freedom in music. (Not all was rosy; Lennon: "He blew his mind out in a car; he hadn't noticed that the lights had changed.") As the 70s wore on, in Southern rock, 'ramblin' men' took to the highway because they're 'freebirds,' movin' from town to town. But out on the west coast of the US (LA, the first postmodern city, a sprawling suburb with no urban center), the highway was becoming an ominous thing: There were creepy hotels; killers on the road with brains squirming like a toad; life in the fast lane will surely make you lose your mind; the car is running on empty. And then in the 80s, on the east coast with Springsteen, the car promised a way out of the city (re: white flight), which is depicted as a jungleland. Living at the edge of NYC, in a New Jersey suburb, he could've headed into the city; instead, he fled, drove straight out to Nebraska, as far as one can get. (If he had been older, his migration would've probably been to Florida.) But yet ultimately the promise of the highway is broken; the car doesn't offer freedom, and the road just goes on and on, to nowhere...

Most people don't know the origins of techno. It originated in Detroit in the early 80s among black musicians in the city, and was influenced by Kraftwerk and funk. Detroit was of course the auto capital of the US, but with de-industrialization the city was rapidly deteriorating. A key early techno track is called "Cosmic Cars," http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOBUqCIXXWY and imagines a different kind of flight from the city:  futuristic flying cars piloted by black astronauts and heading for outer space. Germans went wild for the music coming out of Detroit, the music crossed over to Europe, and the rest is history. 

Anyway, this is probably getting too far from the topic, "Prog and Cars" LOL

it may be far from the topic, but I enjoyed the discourse all the same. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 00:48

That's cool that you're in the Netherlands, a place which was horrified by car accidents and pedestrian deaths, especially of children, fought back against cars, and built amazing bike-friendly pedestrian-friendly infrastructure.

Do people listen to rock when riding bikes?

Living in the Netherlands for the past 11 years, I don't get the impression that society fought back cars because of the "accident and pedestrian deaths" issues. Bikes ruled well before cars appeared and the historical city centre structures were simply not built to accomodate cars, period. Numerous canals throughout every city also made very difficult for many car transit. Plus riding around in bikes in very cheap, which goes fittingly with the Dutch's proverbial stingy-ness, but on the other side of the medal, it gives a generally healthier population. Of course density of population (highest in Europe, only second in the world after Taiwan) made it impossible for many city citizens to own a car as well. Flat lands are also a major factor in the use of bikes. Don't get me wrong, I love the bike space offered in Dutch cities. Clap

But contrary to many other Western European countries, Netherlands is still putting billions in extending its highway networks or trying to solve permanent trafic jams (Utrecht, Leiden, Rotterdam, etc...). Traffic jams are soooo institutionalized that highways have portiques every 500m (yes, twice a km) for giving indications about safe speed because of traffic density and saturation. In general in other countries, once you get to the end of traffic jam, you see the remnants of the accident that created the jam in the first place and here you rarely/never see an accident (and this is good, of courseSmile) , because it was sheer saturation peaks that caused.

And yes, plenty of people are listyening to music on bikes, which horrifies me, because it's rather dangerous to cut yourself from vital aural/sonic informations while being so vulnerable on the road.  Even worse, now you've got teens texting while riding , not even looking at the road anymore

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 03:44
I suspect that the (historic) association between Rock and Cars is essentially a coming-of-age or rite-of-passage thing that reflects the youth culture of the day. This was somewhat aspirational since owning a car (or motorcycle) was a symbol of freedom from childhood that went hand-in-hand with ownership of a style of music that was specifically created for (and later by) them. Writing songs about those motor vehicles (or inspired by them) was an inevitability, no different than writing about the school hop or their sweethearts. So the Little Deuce Coup was a status symbol of being a teenager in the 1960s but, like Baby You Can Drive My Car and the car-songs by Marc Bolan, it was also a euphemism for sex (just as the phrase "rock and roll" was).

This does not exist in Progressive Rock because it wasn't a youth-culture per se, when Hawkwind wrote about a silver bicycle or driving along Damnation Alley they were not writing "Car" songs in the same vein as Little Deuce Coup or even Red Barachetta, they were just vehicles in their science fiction based lyrics.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>