Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMozart's "Don Giovanni"

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Is Mozart's "Don Giovanni" the best opera ever?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [50.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [50.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mozart's "Don Giovanni"
    Posted: November 11 2015 at 03:33
Friede and I absolutely love Don Giovanni. it combines aspects of the opera seria with aspects of the opera buffa, thus creating a new kind of opera. Mozart called it a "dramma giocoso", a "drama with jokes".

The music is wonderful and goes hand in hand with the equally wonderful libretto by Lorenzo da Ponte. Al characters are wonderfully stupid - all the women (Donna Anna, Donna Elvira and Zerlina) for falling for the charm of Don Giiovanni (though Donna Anna not completely voluntarily, but she is a fool for other reasons as well, like her reaction to the improper proposal by Don Ottavio), the commander because he challenges a much younger and more agile man (Don Giovanni) to a sword fight (and dies as a result), Leporello because he still clings to his master although he gets him into lots of trouble, Don Giovanni because he refuses to repent when given the chance (and goes to hell for it), Masetto because he lets himself be fooled by Leporello in disguise, and the most stupid one being Don Ottavio, the fiancé of Donna Anna who possesses the stupidity to propose for Donna Anna when she has just discovered the dead body of her father.

there are so many musical highlights in this opera. standouts are probably the duet between Don Giovanni and Zerlina, "La ci darem la mano", the champagne aria of Don Giovanni, the register aria of Leporello and the appearance of the statue of the commander at the end. there is not a weak moment throughout, and it is always a pleasure to listen to it

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 08:04
As you say, the characters behave very weirdly and make stupid decisions. That makes it hard to establish a mental connection to the characters. I think Da Ponte is rather playing with the characters like chess pieces than taking them seriously, but it doesn't do anything for me. Regarding the music, I'm not the biggest Mozart fan. To me the most outstanding feature of his music is a kind of cold serenity which I don't like, also I think his musical language is very formulaic. For instance his use of chromatic suspensions sometimes seems almost annoying to me. I like the Magic Flute and the Requiem, though.

Edited by Skalla-Grim - November 11 2015 at 08:09
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 09:26
For me the moment when the Commendatore irrupts to Don Giovanni is my favorite. I used to dislike this opera (or at least like it far less than other operas from Mozart) but the last few times I heard it (in Rene Jacobs glorious recording) I realized it's actually perfect. No other Mozart opera has such a perfect combination of a fantastic libretto and music. Le Nozze di Figaro has (for me) glorious music but the story tends to get lost, while Die Zauberflote with its masonic imagery and all is difficult to grasp (though again the music is sublime). Tito, Idomeneo, Seraglio, Tutte, all have strengths and weaknesses. Only Don Giovanni is really perfect. 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 09:45
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

For me the moment when the Commendatore irrupts to Don Giovanni is my favorite. I used to dislike this opera (or at least like it far less than other operas from Mozart) but the last few times I heard it (in Rene Jacobs glorious recording) I realized it's actually perfect. No other Mozart opera has such a perfect combination of a fantastic libretto and music. Le Nozze di Figaro has (for me) glorious music but the story tends to get lost, while Die Zauberflote with its masonic imagery and all is difficult to grasp (though again the music is sublime). Tito, Idomeneo, Seraglio, Tutte, all have strengths and weaknesses. Only Don Giovanni is really perfect. 

oh yes. "Don Giovanni a cenar teco m'invitasti e son venuto". a wonderful moment

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 13:17
So many cultured people!  I have never seen an opera.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 22:22
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

So many cultured people!  I have never seen an opera.
Don Giovanni....part 1...knock yourself out.....Smile

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply