Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHave you ever believed in god?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
proglover123 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 11:35
I only believe in 1 god.... DAVID GILMOUR!!!!!!!
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 19:42

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Why should you share, not because the OP, but for the rest of us and perhaps for yourself.  One of the numerous reasons why this site was so great all those years ago. We not only worked together but we came to know each other, and came to care for each other.  The site, and those that posted here had personality and expressed it. Nowadays…very much less so.  Perhaps it is just me but I see people new to this site since I left it and returned and I don't think I could tell you a single thing about them based on their posts.

Definitely not necessary, no one is forced to have or express a personality online haha.. but it is one of the main reasons this site is not what it once was.

I’m still relatively new to this site, and anyone who’s seen my posts knows that I’m not too forthcoming about personal details.  That’s entirely my choice, as I’m sure it is for many others, and (for the time being at least) I’m comfortable with that.  It seems to me everyone’s expected to share and overshare with the entire web, but everyone’s going to seek his or her own comfort level.

As to the original question: I’ve never completely disbelieved, so if you absolutely positively had to pin a label on me, it’d be agnostic.

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 05:44
I used to, but weren't religious enough to go to church. I'm in a strange situation regarding my upbringing in that my father is actively anti-religious, but my mom is a (very heterodox) Lutheran.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 05:03
I met a Goddess yesterday, in the form of Barbara Eden    True, at the Super Nova convention. She is still a Jeannie to me...........
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 13:58
Thumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 13:53
H to He, Who Am The Only One............
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 13:50
nah.. the fallacy IMO that those of faith have is that God could or should prevent such things. Pffff...

yin and yang man.. there is no renewal and rebirth without death and destruction. It is the cycle of life.

Edited by micky - November 28 2015 at 13:51
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 13:43
When I was a young'un, I believed in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy, so yeah, once upon a time...........
The way sh*t is in the World these days makes me wonder if this God entity isn't pure evil.............
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 09:49
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

People start blowing other people up in the name of their religious or political beliefs, then I have issues.

amen to that sista.. Clap
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 08:53
I don't care for fundamentalism of any kind, whether religious or political. As soon as someone starts telling me what their god wants me to do (or rather insists on what I should do), I turn off, particularly when I perceive that what they are asserting has nothing to do with the basic tenets of their purported beliefs.  I have no issue otherwise with other people believing what they believe.

People start blowing other people up in the name of their religious or political beliefs, then I have issues.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 07:06
I've found that prayer is a funny thing.

Praying for myself never worked.... otherwise I'd be hung like John Holmes and look like Brad Pitt and be rich like Bill Gates and would have never said yes when my ex asked me to marry her.

praying for others though.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Then again I'm not asking for them to get what I wanted LOL I always thought God filed personal requests in the sh*t can, but was more open to ... well.. what prayer should be about.. what God wants us to do. Thinking of others not ourselves. Selfishness is one of the roots of all evil.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 06:51
When I was back there in seminary school, there was a person there who put forth the proposition that you can petition the Lord with prayer.

Petition the Lord with prayer.

Petition the Lord with prayer.

You cannot petition the Lord with Prayer!

Ummm....sorry, Jim Morrison moment.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 06:50
Originally posted by *frinspar* *frinspar* wrote:

Hey, OP. Do you actually read these threads after you drop them like the grenades you believe them to be?
Do you even care what people respond with? Could I type "gablarbingterlude" as an answer and that would satisfy you?

You just don't seem very much engaged in follow up on these things. What's your purpose behind demanding I share something personal and/or meaningful with you?

interesting point.

who gives a f**k about the OP man.  I don't like what he implies but f**k him LOL.  However what counts are the functioning forumites here.  The community itself.  Most of the people that post here have the personalities of a rock. Some have been here for years and I couldn't tell you a single thing about them based on what they share.  Do they have too? Of course not.  However many real life friendships have blossumed here and first step is finding those that interest you, and those interested in you and it goes from there. Not only did I find the love of my life here by putting myself out there, the good and the bad, but a great number of very real friends. Some I've got to meet and continue to see in real life, and some I'd give my left arm to meet in person and spend some time with.

Why should you share, not because the OP, but for the rest of us and perhaps for yourself.  One of the numerous reasons why this site was so great all those years ago. We not only worked together but we came to know each other, and came to care for each other.  The site, and those that posted here had personality and expressed it. Now adays.. very much less so.  Perhaps it is just me but I see people new to this site since I left it and returned and I don't think I could tell you a single thing about them based on their posts.

Definitely not necessary, no one is forced to have or express a personality online haha.. but it is one of the main reasons this site is not what it once was.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 06:39
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

there is a substantial anti-faith quotient here...  and yeah.. you get those like the OP that blatantly imply that faith is for the weak minded.  Not that it is hostility but still.. always nice to think that others here might see you as some kind of deluded fool for having personal beliefs. Personally I keep my faith to myself and wish others would keep their lack of it, or disdain for it, to themselves.

I'm with you bro

Thumbs Up
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 22:34
Hey, OP. Do you actually read these threads after you drop them like the grenades you believe them to be?
Do you even care what people respond with? Could I type "gablarbingterlude" as an answer and that would satisfy you?

You just don't seem very much engaged in follow up on these things. What's your purpose behind demanding I share something personal and/or meaningful with you?

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 22:30
When I was younger sure. I believed in the standard god that most of us have if raised Christian. 
Around 13 I stopped believing that type stuff but got into Deism and carried that for a few years, though by the end of High School honestly I didn't really believe in that anymore. 

Follix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 22:27
Ever? Yes when I was like 10 yo...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 20:48
I'm cool with anyone having whatever faith gets them through the day, I'm strongly opposed to the institutes of religion which have proved themselves primarily interested in the instruments of power through the centuries.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 20:03
Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

A god, that is, that answers prayers: a personal god

And I mean a belief that is genuine, not one out of personal desperation but reasoned thought..?

That's exactly my case

I was raised as catholic, became an agnostic around 16 and onñly returned to Catholicism after studying theology in the university.

But I have absolute respect for every belief or disbelief, as long as they are respectful.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 20:01

there is a substantial anti-faith quotient here...  and yeah.. you get those like the OP that blatantly imply that faith is for the weak minded.  Not that it is hostility but still.. always nice to think that others here might see you as some kind of deluded fool for having personal beliefs. Personally I keep my faith to myself and wish others would keep their lack of it, or disdain for it, to themselves.

I'm with you bro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>