Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHave you ever believed in god?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 15:51
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I have almost always called myself an agnostic, since I don't think that I can really know.

One can't, but you shouldn't have to. Though pure faith (no facts, no proof) is fairly impossible.
I've always been a christian btw.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 16:08
The problem with religion is not God, per se, but rather the people who follow it.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 16:53
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

I have almost always called myself an agnostic, since I don't think that I can really know.,...

One can't, but you shouldn't have to. Though pure faith (no facts, no proof) is fairly impossible.
I've always been a christian btw.

One can neither prove nor disprove the existence of a God. Using the principle of Occam's Razor, which requires less assumptions, that there is a God or that there is not one? Some would say that the simplest solution is that we were created by a God, but for me to take such a leap of faith would require some evidence, and would require many assumptions. And what is evident to you may not be evident to me. And of course there's always the problem of first cause: if we needed a God to create us, what was needed to create God? Always was and always will be some would say, or exists in another dimension where time and space and our laws of physics do not apply? Anyway, I'm being silly.

What kind of a Christian are you? I'm more comfortable in an Anglican church than say a Pentecostal one, and have found Anglicans less dogmatic than most born again Chrisians I know (most of which seem uncomfortable when one one even questions the faith -- my wife was a Roman Catholic turned born again). Are you a literalist? Much of the Christian philosophy does appeal to me. I find the teachings attributed to, and the way of, Jesus in the New Testament much more palatable than those related to Mohammed, for instance. Very different characters -- the Koran sees Jesus differently than in Christianity, incidentally.

You have always been a Christian, born elsewhere you might have always been a Hindu... Maybe then you'd believe in gods....

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The problem with religion is not God, per se, but rather the people who follow it.

Yes, and how people perceive God can be a problem. One can believe in God while eschewing religion. "Are you religious, and if so what does it mean to you?" would be another interesting thread. Religion is created, developed and fostered by people. I see a problem with not only certain people who follow it, but also with people who developed religions. I have a problem with people who claim to know God's will, and especially when they inculcate people with these beliefs and try to force their world view on others (sometimes in violent ways). I have a problem with those who claim to be God's chosen people, and the unbelievers, as with some, are less than human and/or are enemies. Of course some religions or sects of religions espouse values that are much more in keeping with my values, and I don't claim that my sectarian values must be universal.

It's one thing to believe in God, it's another to feel that you and your ilk are the only ones to hold the truth and know his will, and all others be damned.

When religion gets in the way of rationality, yes, I can have a problem.

Edited by Logan - April 17 2016 at 17:04
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 17:14

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

A lot of attention to religion here lately! I'm raised as a christian and always stayed.
It's a pity to see so few religious people here.

Why do you think it's a pity?  do you think the site would be improved if more people were religious?
It's not a hostile question, I'm just curious as to why you think having more religious people on PA would change anything.

Don't conclude too fast there mate! ;p
In general there are fewer and fewer christians and you can probably imagine one rather has the same thoughts/beliefs with some people than being the only one.
Also I am definitely not intending that christians are per se better people which would make the world better than non-christians.

So I think it's a pity that most people on PA think different. (on a forum that's kind of what you're looking for, right?)
And well it wouldn't change this place enormously but maybe you'd feel a bit more welcome here as a christian.
(By no means any blame to anyone)

Haven't read the whole thread, but there is a Christian thread you might want to check out if you haven't seen it already. I posted there a few times as I am an occasional church goer.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56485

There are actually quite a few threads related to Christians: Christian music, Christian Vander music ;) etc.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 17:22
@Logan: Well it's something like protest reformd, if that says anything to you (I don't really know the currents). A bit of an old church (and people), but I personally prefer it to a church where everyone throw their hands in the air and scream hallelujah- just to illustrate.
I try to be very open minded but I need some kind of proof for myself and do not like too strict rules. Fortunately my parents raised me with faith and at a certain age you become curious and critical and want to know if it's real. With such an attitude I tried to behave like I thought a christian should and felt that it couldn't be different. I just knew that God existed. I can't explain you how and shouldn't because it's all personal, you have to experience itself.
I'm quite interested in philosophy and some now and then read a little about it but I can't call myself a literalist. My view is that you don't need knowledge about the bible or philosophy. Sometimes you want a question to be answered, but you must form your own answers to questions of life IMO; literature is then helpful and can be very interesting.
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 17:25
^And thanks, hadn't seen the thread before.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 17:33

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Yes, and how people perceive God can be a problem. One can believe in God while eschewing religion. "Are you religious, and if so what does it mean to you?" would be another interesting thread. Religion is created, developed and fostered by people. I see a problem with not only certain people who follow it, but also with people who developed religions. I have a problem with people who claim to know God's will, and especially when they inculcate people with these beliefs and try to force their world view on others (sometimes in violent ways). I have a problem with those who claim to be God's chosen people, and the unbelievers, as with some, are less than human and/or are enemies. Of course some religions or sects of religions espouse values that are much more in keeping with my values, and I don't claim that my sectarian values must be universal.

It's one thing to believe in God, it's another to feel that you and your ilk are the only ones to hold the truth and know his will, and all others be damned.

Yes, I agree with you in large part, Greg #1.

As far as religion beings created, developed and fostered by people, I would suggest that nearly all religious mandates throughout history were due to forced hierarchical and patriarchal control and coercion. Review the Ten Commandments, for instance. All ten deal with 1. property ownership (numbers 7 through 10), 2. control of family issue and wealth (numbers 5,8 and 10), 3. assuring no violence or crime occurs against the propertied class (numbers 6 through 10), and 4. keeping the clerical class perpetually in business (numbers 1 though 4, all prominent and first on the list).

So, it's basically don't steal my stuff, don't kill me for my stuff, don't even look at my stuff (including the wife, who was property back then), and also don't kill me for your inheritance because I'm Dad, and I'm giving it all to your worthless brother. Oh yes, and keep the donations to the temple flowing, because the priests are the ones keeping up the whole facade.

The same idea was perpetuated throughout the Middle Ages, with the 3 orders: the nobility, the clerical caste, and the last, the serfs, merchants and villeins - literally everyone else - who must pay for the first two.   
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2016 at 12:46
Wasn't sure if this deserved a new thread so I posted it here.....
http://ageac.org/en/multimedia/scientist-says-he-found-definitive-proof-that-god-exists-2/

"The theoretical physicist Michio Kaku claims to have developed a theory that might point to the existence of God. The information has created a great stir in the scientific community because Kaku is considered one of the most important scientists of our times, one of the creators and developers of the revolutionary String Theory which is highly respected throughout the world."
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2016 at 13:15
"Jesus Is Alright" by The Doobie Brothers, 1972  Big smile
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2016 at 13:35
before one can state belief or disbelief in God one first has to define God. it is by no means certain that two people mean the same thing when referring to God.

to make my point clear: to believe in tigers one first has to define what a tiger is (a large animal of the cat family with black and yellow stripes), else the statements "I believe in tigers" or "I don't believe in tigers" are totally meaningless

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2016 at 09:25
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

before one can state belief or disbelief in God one first has to define God. it is by no means certain that two people mean the same thing when referring to God.

to make my point clear: to believe in tigers one first has to define what a tiger is (a large animal of the cat family with black and yellow stripes), else the statements "I believe in tigers" or "I don't believe in tigers" are totally meaningless

Well.....you can e-mail Dr Kaku, I'm sure he would love to discuss semantics with you.

LOL
Haquin
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2016 at 10:02

Do you mean that God may be... a tiger?

It would explain a lot of things, for sure.

Er, no, it wouldn't explain anything.

But let's discuss this idea anyway.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2016 at 10:11
I was born and raised atheist, which is a rarity around the central woods of Europe (well, only in Poland it's a rarity). About 90% of citizens are baptised - I am not. And I never plan to!

Edited by ALotOfBottle - June 07 2016 at 10:11
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2016 at 10:21
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

I was born and raised atheist, which is a rarity around the central woods of Europe (well, only in Poland it's a rarity). About 90% of citizens are baptised - I am not. And I never plan to!

And most who are theists were born and raised that way....it's a family thing until one gets older and makes a choice.
Have you investigated why you believe that atheism is right for you?

I'm agnostic because imho it's the only tenable position to have.
Haquin
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2016 at 10:31
I do not need to define God to believe
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2016 at 10:32
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

And most who are theists were born and raised that way....it's a family thing until one gets older and makes a choice.

my position is complicated, but I am not agnostic. I do however not believe in God as he (if I may use this questionable pronoun) is depicted by the major religions. but I do believe there is some kind of supreme consciousness. what's more, I believe that the existence of such a supreme consciousness follows from the existence of human consciousness

Edited by BaldJean - June 07 2016 at 10:35

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2016 at 10:48

Yes, my parents' point was to make me investigate and make my own choice.
And so I have. I firmly believe that all answers one should ever need are within the human mind. I find atheism the most logical of all. I'd rather not get into detailed discussion, not because I don't want to or feel like I don't have arguments, but rather because I feel a discussion about such things through the internet (and especially a forum) is well... aimless. Everybody has their own beliefs and as long as you are a positive and kind human being, I don't care what or who you believe in.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2016 at 11:11

Ermm I'm trying to think of a world religion that does actually define what god is and currently drawing a blank. Everyone is presumed to just "know" what it is they are expected to worship and why. That's the great confidence trick of religion - if you don't know then you're not part of the gang so those who don't know pretend to know on the understanding that enlightenment will come to those with sufficient faith. Failure to be "in the know" is a failure in the personal faith, not in the religion itself or its god. So within a single religion there are multiple definitions of godhead that are not universally shared by every member of that religion. I suppose if you had a religion with a 'congregation' of one then you could arrive a definition that each member would agree on but as the numbers increase with each addition adding its own interpretation of that definition then it becomes harder to actually say there is a mutually agreed definition that all would adhere to. I suspect that a religion with a world population of two could feasibly have a definition of god that was mutually acceptable (though maybe wholly acceptable) to both of them, but it would be highly unlikely that anyone outside that religion would agree with them.

Religions define their deities by their past deeds, by their expectations of their followers and by some non-guaranteed promises of a reward that can be achieved by worshipping them - not (necessarily or solely) by what they are or what they look like. Therefore in your analogy a tiger would not be defined by its physical appearance but by its status as a predatory carnivore of the genus panthera that can roar - which would make it indistinguishable from a lion, leopard, jaguar or panther (but not a puma or cougar, which is taxonomically a different genus) - No one needs to recognise that definition as fitting any of those creatures to "believe" your definition of a tiger. In fact you don't need to define a tiger at all for anyone to believe (or not) that such a creature exists (or not). All you need to say is there is a large predatory cat in Asia called a tiger and you will either be believed or you won't - of course some may be sceptical without physical proof, but that's an altogether a different philosophical argument. If on the other hand you said a tiger has six limbs, two of which were wings so it could fly, that it could breath fire and dined exclusively on virgin maidens then the number of people who would choose to believe you would be significantly less... perhaps.

Therefore you don't have to define what a god is in order to believe or not believe, however it should be a prerequisite to have some understanding of (more or less) what it is you are worshipping in order to believe.

Edited by Dean - June 07 2016 at 12:32
What?
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2016 at 11:11

And so I have. I firmly believe that all answers one should ever need are within the human mind. I find atheism the most logical of all. I'd rather not get into detailed discussion, not because I don't want to or feel like I don't have arguments, but rather because I feel a discussion about such things through the internet (and especially a forum) is well... aimless. Everybody has their own beliefs and as long as you are a positive and kind human being, I don't care what or who you believe in.

see, this is why I insist you should define God first before saying you believe or don't believe. my belief has nothing whatever to do with the answers one needs being in God, so I agree with you they should be in the human mind.

my position is this: everything in the world is a process, an elemental particle as well as the human consciousness. speaking of the latter: no-one has any idea where it comes from.

I do, however, observe that the more complicated and self-reflective a process is the more consciousness it has. now the most complex process in the world is the universe itself, and thus I believe it does have a consciousness.

does this consciousness care for us humans? doubtful; it is even possible it does not know of our existence at all or if it does it is not directly aware of us (just like a human being is not directly aware of for example his or her blood cells).

does it have any of the moral qualities that are usually ascribed to God, like just and forgiving? again most probably not

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2016 at 12:51

see, this is why I insist you should define God first before saying you believe or don't believe. my belief has nothing whatever to do with the answers one needs being in God, so I agree with you they should be in the human mind.

my position is this: everything in the world is a process, an elemental particle as well as the human consciousness. speaking of the latter: no-one has any idea where it comes from.

I do, however, observe that the more complicated and self-reflective a process is the more consciousness it has. now the most complex process in the world is the universe itself, and thus I believe it does have a consciousness.

does this consciousness care for us humans? doubtful; it is even possible it does not know of our existence at all or if it does it is not directly aware of us (just like a human being is not directly aware of for example his or her blood cells).

does it have any of the moral qualities that are usually ascribed to God, like just and forgiving? again most probably not

Good thinking. As to your example with blood cells, what I meant was that for example I am not directly aware of my blood cells, but no human being was guided by god to discover blood cells. It's all thanks to our minds, imperfect, yet beautifully twisted human minds.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>