FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVinyl release

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 10:55
Originally posted by timbo timbo wrote:

No, the answer is play what music you think is good, and that you enjoy playing.

Just don't expect to make money from it. Even in the 70s, that was like winning the lottery. Now it's harder still.

Do it for yourself.

Hi Timbo - it's even worse than that. Musicians who now "do music for themselves" are rewarded by the "fans" just, frankly, ripping them off. If I release something for free via any site - including Prog Archives, there are several hundred downloads. Charge someone even $1, the audience drops to zero. Sometimes, it's not necessarily the format, it's also the fact that you've asked someone for money. ;-)

If you consider that we'd charge £20 a year membership, and - signing up for vinyl, you'd get free membership, all the back catalogue AND a very limited vinyl release ("eBay special") then effectively.... "free limited edition album". But people don't see that. They see "Oh, got to pay money for that." 

They probably assume artists will still make money and will still keep producing music, some of which they'll get for free. This is pretty much like global warming - we all think it'll be fine and we'll never get to some kind of hideous disaster. 

Ah ah, no. ;-) 

OK, let's change the format then. 

Starting again - 

We will release a limited edition CD, this will never be issued elsewhere - the charge is £20, there will be 100 copies printed AFTER 50 people sign up. This is a pre-order. Your £20 will also gain you free VIP access to the website and a digital download of two albums, an LP and several singles PLUS 10% off our merchandise. 

Anyone signing up ? ;-)

Edited by Davesax1965 - December 04 2015 at 10:58

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 06:02
2830 views. Not one sign up. :-)

120 *complete* plays of the latest EP in one day. One sale, £5. I mean, when you think about it, to sit through a 31 minute album, you have to actually like it for that half hour. :-)

Moving swiftly on..... to something else, frankly. ;-)

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 07:04
It's not my kind of music, sorry. Apart from that, re our other discussion, using just this thread as a channel to promote the release seems a bit limited. Remember what I wrote about 'the full package'? Wink
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 07:59
Yes, of course and fair enough. ;-) No, the release has been mentioned elsewhere with higher rates of success, but, to be honest, Angelo, you have to be fairly sure of a return before throwing $1500 down a potential drain. ;-)

Obverse side of the coin is that I can just do more commercially lucrative music. That would be the "business decision". Following that logic, very few people will keep doing prog rock...... 

Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 11:41
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Yes, of course and fair enough. ;-) No, the release has been mentioned elsewhere with higher rates of success, but, to be honest, Angelo, you have to be fairly sure of a return before throwing $1500 down a potential drain. ;-)

Obverse side of the coin is that I can just do more commercially lucrative music. That would be the "business decision". Following that logic, very few people will keep doing prog rock...... 

1500 down a drain? I usually throw away 8 to 10 grand. Why would you do music expecting to get paid? Music has no value.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2016 at 04:09
It takes time and effort - but even with prog it is possible to break even. I know one band who tried many channels and broke even on their first two albums after releasing the third - it took almost 4 years. If you want a quick return on your $1500 it's a different story of course.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2016 at 20:43
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

2830 views. Not one sign up. :-)

120 *complete* plays of the latest EP in one day. One sale, £5. I mean, when you think about it, to sit through a 31 minute album, you have to actually like it for that half hour. :-)

Moving swiftly on..... to something else, frankly. ;-)

I was one of those 120.  It's nice, but not enough that I'd buy it. Plus I only buy CDs.  Take that for what its worth...
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2016 at 05:49
No problem, glad you semi-liked it. ;-)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12