Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRock and Roll Hall of Fame's assesment of Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 07:50
I actually quite like 90125, personally, but come on I have heard Owner of a Lonely Heart on the VH1 morning playlist.  They wouldn't touch prog with a bargepole.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 07:52
The contrary and arbitrary nature of the voters of this sham have shown their hypocrisy over and over. What is the election based on, record sales? Influence? Popularity in mainstream? Popularity for a few beatniks in their mother's basement? Or a flawed and biased group of tw*ts who continue to vote in performers who do not exhibit rock tendencies and who were never considered rock performers in the first place (like every rap group considered, for instance).

Explain to me why a rock band that has a song "I'm Just a Singer in a Rock and Roll Band", the Moody Blues, not in the Hall? Was seven platinum albums, several gold albums and many hit singles not good enough for...for what? What is the criteria? Who the f*ck is handling the ballots, this band sold over 70 million albums, by Christ's cullions!

You could say the same for Jethro Tull or Deep Purple: number one albums, platinum albums, multi-million albums sold, arenas and stadiums filled, songs that stand the test of time (and I believe everyone in the rock world knows the songs "Smoke on the Water" and "Aqualung" -- if those aren't rock standards, I don't know what is).
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 07:58
what is there to disagree with Roger.. the proof is sort of in the pudding man.

do we imagine the venom Genesis fans have for their heroes leaving prog for the bright lights of pop stardom

do a certain element of Rush fans still bitch that Rush left prog and became a slick AOR band.

prog fans still hold on to those early albums..  the rest of the musical world moved on and saw them for what they became and make their 'names' as.

find me a thread here.. or anywhere.. even some sense of internet sentiment that Yes became either of those. They didn't and there isn't.. again one of the reasons Yes is seen as the quintessential prog band. It is for their longevity in the field as well as their glory days output.. otherwise it would likely be ELP for they debatably were the only band that could trump Yes for shear importance and impact on defining and popularizing  70's prog rock
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 08:14
I have never actually come across that AOR complaint re Rush.  Just that at some point they stopped being interesting, just more and more and still more of the same.    But I am not interested in prog fans' perceptions here.  The simple point is it is possible for somebody to only know Yes from Owner of.. as it is to know Genesis as the band that recorded We can't dance.  You cannot say the same for KC or VDGG. And guess what, you can't say the same for Rush either.  Their big breakthrough album Moving Pictures is oh so respectable compared to what Yes and Genesis did in the 80s.  They crossed over smoothly as Floyd had done a decade earlier. We have to keep personal likes and dislikes aside here if we are going to draw some line as to what is and what isn't a full fledged prog rock band.  If the criterion is so strict as to have come out of the 80s without going pop, neither Yes nor Genesis qualify.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 08:21
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

what is there to disagree with Roger.. the proof is sort of in the pudding man.

do we imagine the venom Genesis fans have for their heroes leaving prog for the bright lights of pop stardom

do a certain element of Rush fans still bitch that Rush left prog and became a slick AOR band.

prog fans still hold on to those early albums..  the rest of the musical world moved on and saw them for what they became and make their 'names' as.

find me a thread here.. or anywhere.. even some sense of internet sentiment that Yes became either of those. They didn't and there isn't.. again one of the reasons Yes is seen as the quintessential prog band. It is for their longevity in the field as well as their glory days output.. otherwise it would likely be ELP for they debatably were the only band that could trump Yes for shear importance and impact on defining and popularizing  70's prog rock

When it comes down to it, why wasn't Rush, Yes, Genesis, ELP, etc. not inducted decades ago? Donna Summers is in the Hall, what the f*ck for? Who ever considered her a rock performer? Chaka Khan is up for election -- when did you ever consider her music rock and roll by any stretch of the imagination (when she herself would probably tell you she wasn't a rock performer)? ABBA? Oh, their lasting influence on the rock idiom is immeasurable! Without them, we wouldn't have the Ace of Base. LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 08:26
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I have never actually come across that AOR complaint re Rush.  Just that at some point they stopped being interesting, just more and more and still more of the same.    But I am not interested in prog fans' perceptions here.  The simple point is it is possible for somebody to only know Yes from Owner of.. as it is to know Genesis as the band that recorded We can't dance.  You cannot say the same for KC or VDGG. And guess what, you can't say the same for Rush either.  Their big breakthrough album Moving Pictures is oh so respectable compared to what Yes and Genesis did in the 80s.  They crossed over smoothly as Floyd had done a decade earlier. We have to keep personal likes and dislikes aside here if we are going to draw some line as to what is and what isn't a full fledged prog rock band.  If the criterion is so strict as to have come out of the 80s without going pop, neither Yes nor Genesis qualify.

I didn't say it wasn't a minority camp of Rush fans. LOL If we know anything about 'Rush fan' it is their passion and loyalty to the group. They haven't done anything remotely interesting since the early 90's but tell that to Rush fan and the fur will fly!!! I know that. I married one! LOL Heart There always has been a small element of the fanbase that still wishes they'd do a album today circa 1978. 

you are exactly right and that is the point I am trying to make. Prog fans perceptions of it don't matter. That is why Genesis and Rush are not seen as prog bands by anyone other than fans of the group or simply of their earlier material.  Unlike those bands... Yes actually was known to music fans well before the 80's and OOALH. They were right there with the biggest bands in all rock during the 70's so that argument comparing them and the album to albums like Moving Pictures and pick whatever 80's Genesis album doesn't wash.  The song and album did give them a taste of the pop lifestyle... but they had long solified their place in music and continued to do so. Again.. it wasn't a radical departure for them. Unlike other prog bands... success was achieved by simply remaining who they were.. not a stylistic departure that left the band and sound unrecognizable to fans of the earlier work.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 08:35
Again, if you did listen to Owner of a Lonely Heart straight after CTTE, it WOULD be unrecognizable but for Anderson's voice.  There are other songs like Leave It which very much have the Yes trademark but not Owner.  I am not blaming them for it and imo they did it well but that necessarily involved temporarily casting aside their prog legacy.  And as for why they didn't get the kind of flak for it as did Genesis, it's probably a lot more complicated than just what Yes did stylistically.  For one, they handled the change more gracefully and didn't stop playing older material.  Banks boasting that those 80s albums (which are now so dated even RRHOF couldn't bear to play them and chose a prog classic for their induction instead) were where they really learned to write music properly or something to that effect cannot have helped matters.  Genesis were rather defensive in handling the heat from older fans.  Yes weren't.  And Yes failed with Big Generator and jumped at the chance to go back to prog.  Genesis kept succeeding at pop and continued with it.   Who's to say what would have happened in an alternative scenario where Yes did sustain themselves as a pop outfit?  Today nobody talks about Camera Camera/Timeline because they were such massive turkeys.  But what if they had succeeded?  Does their failure change the fact that the band chose to go commercial at the point?  No. Same goes with Yes.  Compared even to Drama, 90125 is a decidedly more commercial effort.  They did it more tastefully than Genesis and full props to them for that but it's still commercial.  It's fine if you don't see it that way and we can stop here.  

Edited by rogerthat - December 12 2015 at 08:35
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 08:40
no no no...  give prog fan some credit. Especially fans of Yes.  Yes IMO is one of the most misunderstood bands in prog. Starting with their classification here as a 'symphonic' group. Bullsh*t.  Best example... you brought it up. Close to the Edge.  If one was to look a bit deeper.. and this is prog.. we are in some degrees .. prog fans. So we do look deeper.. and if one does. What does one see...

Yes have always at their heart... have not been interested in fusing classical and rock. but POP and rock. That is why Owner of a Lonely Heart was eaten up by old fans..  little different from they have done.. just shorter and with 80's Trevor Rabin production (the pros and cons of THAT are another discussion LOL). The point again.. it was Yes enough that old fans were not turned off by it.

http://www.progarchives.com/review.asp?id=197285

Edited by micky - December 12 2015 at 08:42
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 08:43
That it is essentially a pop song repeated enough times until it gets up to 18 minutes still doesn't make it commercial in that radio-ready sense that it is implied.  You will not get an average pop listening fellow to get past that Steve Howe solo, for starters.  Where's the CLASSICAL in Owner of a Lonely Heart since you mentioned classical-rock fusion?  Any random band from the 80s could have written that song and that's the point.  It is strange that one of the most bland creations of Yes achieved so much success but then pop IS bland a lot of times.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 08:50
bland?  It is a great song man!  Oh well.  Anyhow.. lots of bands had hits in the 80's and aren't getting into the HoF.  When Yes gets it it won't be because of that song or that album.. it will for their work in the 70's.. and for the nearly 50 years they spent flying the prog rock flag when others had long since faded to obscurity or moved on stylistically. Prog has been shut out of the HoF. When those who have the axe to be ground against it die off.. prog bands will go in. Suspect Yes will rightfully be the first ... of the big 3.. Yes, K.C., ELP.

Cheers Roger Thumbs Up

Edited by micky - December 12 2015 at 08:50
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 08:54
That I don't disagree with - that they won't get it for 90125 because their pop stretch was too short compared to Genesis.  But as far as 80s bands, I don't know, man, the mainstream air is thick with the stench of the 80s.  I heard Pompeii quite by accident the other day and I swear the beats could be right out of MJ's Bad album or a zillion other dance pop albums from the decade.  Bruno Mars doesn't attempt in the slightest to disguise his MJ influence.  If Wham! were to get included in the RRHOF, I wouldn't bat an eyelid.  Or Spandau Ballet or some other 80s horror.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 09:08
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Pulled this from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (let's all groan now and get it out of the way) website. Yes came in second, after Chicago, in the fan voting section.  What do you think of their summary? 

Yes is the most enduring, ambitious and virtuosic progressive band in rock history. By fusing the cinematic soundscapes of King Crimson with the hard rock edge of The Who and the soaring harmonies and melodies of Simon and Garfunkel, they took progressive rock from a small audience of aficionados to radio airwaves and football stadiums all over America. Hits like “Roundabout” and “I’ve Seen All Good People” appealed to rock fans who did not even think they liked prog rock, while album-side length epics like “Close To The Edge” and “The Gates Of Delirium” represent the genre at its absolute finest. Steve Howe remains one of the most underrated guitarists in rock history, while keyboardist Rick Wakeman, bassist Chris Squire and drummers Bill Bruford and Alan White will always be regarded as musicians simply without peer. Frontman Jon Anderson is an alto tenor singer who still hits the highest of high notes 45 years after forming the group. While many of their contemporaries wilted once punk hit, Yes managed to change with the times, and they reemerged in the 80s as an MTV-ready commercial force, landing massive hits on the charts like “Owner Of A Lonely Heart.” While prog giants like Pink Floyd, Genesis and Emerson Lake & Palmer retired years ago, Yes continues to tour (albeit with some new members) at a pace that would leave bands half their age breathless.  - See more at: https://rockhall.com/inductees/nominees/2016-yes/#sthash.MiTY2L2w.dpuf

Discuss freely.

Pretty good summary for what it is. Yes were never my fave prog band (far from it), but I recognise their importance to the genre. They don't need the stamp from this worthless bunch of music hacks.

The RnRHoF has pretty much lost all credibility ever since it started inducting acts like Hall & Oates, ABBA, Public Enemy, Run DMC and Madonna. 
I have zero respect for this supposed 'Hall of Fame' that apparently doesn't posses the hearing power to distinguish rock n roll from disco and hip hopDead

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 12 2015 at 09:34
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2015 at 09:26
the crux of the biscuit Roger is that while can say Yes did a pop album(s) (think Big Generator is a better example than 90125, which had a pop song.. but that wasn't a pop album)..

the difference is of course.. while they have done pop albums..1 or 2 whatever...one can say they never really became a pop band. Never lost hardcore 70's fans for the foundational basis of their music, right from their debut, always was pop.
AnimeGirl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2015 at 05:20
I was shocked when I found out they weren't already in. Even more shocked to learn they don't win #1
Pretty sure they also have never even held a vote for Moody Blues to get in, they are kind of rude people over there

Edited by AnimeGirl - December 14 2015 at 05:21
Rushman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2015 at 08:34
It is a good summation of the band. 
Seeing that they mention both Bruford and White in the article make me think both would get inducted if Yes makes it, along with Anderson, Squire, Howe, and Wakeman.
I don't think any of the other members should get in, Rabin maybe?
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2015 at 08:58
much ado about nothing.  It's the "rock and roll" hall of fame, not the great rock music hall of fame. Tongue
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2015 at 09:26
The pop duo Hall & Oates were admitted to the RRHOF, so when I learned that, I lost all interest in the thing. Clearly it is a commercial scam with no basis in reality. 

Members of PA have a much deeper appreciation of the history of all rock, including Prog, than anyone associated with that mess.  

Count me as "disinterested."  
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 05:48
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

The only two big bands that came out unscathed from the 80s without compromising were KC and VDGG.  It's arguable just how big VDGG were but that also shows the limited commercial appeal of 'pure prog' as of today.   </span>

You've got to be British or European 'cos the notion of VdGG being "big" to anyone living in the States is a non-starter (they are at least known, respected, and play decent-sized auditoriums across the pond even though they've never had anything close to a hit, with a very few exceptions).

I would think Chicago, and the Moodies should be shoe-ins. Yes is a tough one (so much ridicule over the years, based on accusations of boring pomposity originating with Tales and going on from there). Tull's rep has really taken a nose-dive over the years with critics. All these groups have sold in the millions, but being a critic's darling has a lot more to do with it. That's probably a sad state of affairs but it is what it is. I mean, Laura Nyro is in the HOF. I like her a lot but her records didn't sell and most people have no idea who she is.
jc
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 06:19
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

The pop duo Hall & Oates were admitted to the RRHOF, so when I learned that, I lost all interest in the thing. Clearly it is a commercial scam with no basis in reality. 

Members of PA have a much deeper appreciation of the history of all rock, including Prog, than anyone associated with that mess.  

Count me as "disinterested."  

Yep, that pretty much sums it up for me as well.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 12:19
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The contrary and arbitrary nature of the voters of this sham have shown their hypocrisy over and over. What is the election based on, record sales? Influence? Popularity in mainstream? Popularity for a few beatniks in their mother's basement? Or a flawed and biased group of tw*ts who continue to vote in performers who do not exhibit rock tendencies and who were never considered rock performers in the first place (like every rap group considered, for instance).

Explain to me why a rock band that has a song "I'm Just a Singer in a Rock and Roll Band", the Moody Blues, not in the Hall? Was seven platinum albums, several gold albums and many hit singles not good enough for...for what? What is the criteria? Who the f*ck is handling the ballots, this band sold over 70 million albums, by Christ's cullions!

You could say the same for Jethro Tull or Deep Purple: number one albums, platinum albums, multi-million albums sold, arenas and stadiums filled, songs that stand the test of time (and I believe everyone in the rock world knows the songs "Smoke on the Water" and "Aqualung" -- if those aren't rock standards, I don't know what is).

With this and your later post you are on a roll (no pun intended..).....it simply boggles the mind that bands like the Moody Blues , Jethro Tull  and Yes ...as well as others,  weren't inducted years ago.

Question for all here but who exactly determines who gets nominated and who gets in..?

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>