Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Gilmour solo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Poll Question: What's your favourite Gilmour solo?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
26 [31.33%]
17 [20.48%]
5 [6.02%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.41%]
4 [4.82%]
6 [7.23%]
2 [2.41%]
2 [2.41%]
1 [1.20%]
0 [0.00%]
18 [21.69%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2016 at 06:56
Originally posted by GreatBeyonder GreatBeyonder wrote:

Outside the Barrett years, The Final Cut has the least Gilmour of any PF album, but it has some truly gut-wrenching solos on it.

5 solos on the album. He didn't really get soloing much until Meddle. Saucer? Ummagumma? Most of his work was harmony until PF moved from space rock to prog rock. Whatever that is. But what solos did he play? Funky Dung. Embryo live (which is awesome). I think he really got going about '71 with the terrific rock arrangements of Atom Heart Mother.

Maybe he was inspired after being the soundman for Jimi Hendrix at the Isle Of Wight Fest (who better? Oh maybe Alan Parsons). Anyway, Dark Side doesn't have many solos on. There's Money and Time. Shame they did not use an earlier version of Breathe with a lovely solo introducing it, substituting the very toned down harmonies instead.

Lucky Roger wrote the Wall, plenty of DG guitar solos all over that.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2017 at 21:26
I was just listening to Atom Heart Mother earlier today, and I came to apreciate just how great his guitar solos are on that song. I think this is the song in which he first showed his trademark emotive guitar soloing that would be so important in Floyd's music later on. And his interaction with the strings of the orchestra is just wonderful.
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 09:33
Comfortably Numb, P*U*L*S*E version.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 12:13
His solo on The Fletcher Memorial Home is pure bliss
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 20:37
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Comfortably Numb, P*U*L*S*E version.

For me it would the the Delicate Sound of Thunder version. But mostly for the same reasons anyway... however, after Gilmour upgraded that solo adding those minutes at the end, the original one just sounds incomplete to me.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 02:10
Shine on You Crazy Diamond

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 02:26
Time.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 02:35
Time

MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 07:36
Time

I do love the last solos on SOYCD and Dogs
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 09:38
Comfortably Numb
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 10:15
Jeez, has everyone forgotten about "on the turning away" or is just viewed as a poor man's "comfortably numb." Not sure why it wasn't included unless it's because the OP doesn't know this album or maybe AMLOR is so poorly thought of that no one even considers anything on it to be worthy. 
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 10:35
I'll forego the temptation to vote Comfortably Numb again, and give a vote to Time - superb, concise guitar work from Mr Gilmour
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 12:59
Pink Floyd is my favorite band, but like many, I don't like AMLOR
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 13:24
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Jeez, has everyone forgotten about "on the turning away" or is just viewed as a poor man's "comfortably numb." Not sure why it wasn't included unless it's because the OP doesn't know this album or maybe AMLOR is so poorly thought of that no one even considers anything on it to be worthy. 

I do love On the Turning Away. Actually, I don't know why Gilmour's era Floyd is so disliked if, actually, it's taken the blueprint of the so loved Comfortably Numb in many of his songs... and I woudln't even say CN is better than many of those songs (On the Turnin Away included).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 14:00
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Pink Floyd is my favorite band, but like many, I don't like AMLOR

I can understand that to a degree. Anyway, is it safe to say that PF is the band that got you into prog?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 14:01
I voted for "money" since it had relatively few votes compared to the others. I really like the drumming on "money" too.
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 21:37
Gilmour has so many great solos, really hard to choose. These are all top notch, genre-defining.

Saying this, my favourite Gilmour solo isn't on this list - from the live extended and improvised versions of Embryo from 1971. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 23:19
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I do love On the Turning Away. Actually, I don't know why Gilmour's era Floyd is so disliked if, actually, it's taken the blueprint of the so loved Comfortably Numb in many of his songs... and I woudln't even say CN is better than many of those songs (On the Turnin Away included).
I think you just said the reason. In the seventies WYWH is the only Floyd album nothing really much new happening, in Animals and the Wall Roger put Floyd into new direction, also I think even the Final Cut is more innovative album than Momentary or Division, although it has a lots of echoes from the Wall. Of course band is not always have to go forward when making interesting music, but I haven´t found those two albums ever really interesting. Just ok, Pink Floyd sounding albums with a quite a lot of touch of dad rock.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 01:20
I have already voted in this poll.
One of the two people who voted for Pigs.

AMLOR is completely overshadowed by Delicate Sound Of Thunder. I always reach for the latter if I'm in that kind of mood...and I have to be in a pretty strange mood to pick anything Floyd-related produced after The Wall. Everything they did previous to that was exponentially better.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 06:12
Gilmour has done many outstanding solos throughout his career, but his solo on The Fletcher Memorial Home just floors me, it has so much feeling and power. Love it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>