Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDot.Organ (Australia) for Crossover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dot.Organ (Australia) for Crossover
    Posted: January 03 2016 at 20:49
Dot.Organ is a progressive rock quintet from Fullerton Cove, Australia. the members are Lily Rosen-Swinton (synthesizer), Dan Hush (banjo, giutar), Stuart Moppett (drums), Natusha Joy (vocals) and Dean Joy (guitar, bass, vocal).they relased two full-lenght albums: the debut cd "The Gumshot Chronicles" (November 2014) and breaktrough second album "Zirconium Forcipes", which is released online at December 31, 2015.i suggested Dot.Organ to the PA' Crossover section due to touch of alt.rock - mostly at their debut cd "The Gumshot Chronicles".

Important links:

Edited by Komandant Shamal - January 04 2016 at 05:39
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2016 at 23:55
They have the grand total of 120 'likes' on facebook since they started on there in March 2014. On 1st December 2014 they wrote: "Due to unpopular demand 'The Gumshoe Chronicles' has been reduced from $5 to name your price. You can name zero as a price if you wish. Have a download, have a listen, have a hug."  Hug

Unusual, quirky, electronic-based alternative rock mainly to these ears. There is a long track on the latest album which is called "Newt Drops/444/Teenage Trap Shap/Smelt Liddle Fither Marc". How the Hell did they come up with THAT title!! Shocked

OK, they are like nobody else that I can immediately think of, but does that make them prog? I'm not so sure. The second album is a 'name your price' download on bandcamp too, so they must all have decent day jobs. I can't deny that this music has a certain 'curiosity appeal', but I don't personally believe that it belongs on PA.

Now someone will doubtless come along and say exactly the opposite...But that's what I love about this site. LOL

Edit: I didn't find them on RYM either, which confirms that they don't have a particularly wide audience up to yet... Ermm

Edited by yam yam - January 05 2016 at 00:00
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 01:38
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

They have the grand total of 120 'likes' on facebook since they started on there in March 2014. On 1st December 2014 they wrote: "Due to unpopular demand 'The Gumshoe Chronicles' has been reduced from $5 to name your price. You can name zero as a price if you wish. Have a download, have a listen, have a hug."  Hug

Unusual, quirky, electronic-based alternative rock mainly to these ears. There is a long track on the latest album which is called "Newt Drops/444/Teenage Trap Shap/Smelt Liddle Fither Marc". How the Hell did they come up with THAT title!! Shocked

OK, they are like nobody else that I can immediately think of, but does that make them prog? I'm not so sure. The second album is a 'name your price' download on bandcamp too, so they must all have decent day jobs. I can't deny that this music has a certain 'curiosity appeal', but I don't personally believe that it belongs on PA.

Now someone will doubtless come along and say exactly the opposite...But that's what I love about this site. LOL

Edit: I didn't find them on RYM either, which confirms that they don't have a particularly wide audience up to yet... Ermm
personally, i dont give a sh*t for that number of "likes" on fb.

but whats more important in this case, there're too much of "retro-prog" odd time signatures and "retro-prog" kind of synths that the band to be pushed in that collective alt.rock tombLOL
IMHO that thouch of alt.rock is only - and just sometimes - about the vocals.
what we have here thats two well executed full-lenght albums - 2014 debut was released as a physical cd - of a modern and quite original  prog expression IMHO. 

YamYam, thank you for your kind contribution what is always welcomeThumbs Up

Edited by Komandant Shamal - January 05 2016 at 02:08
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 10:23
The number of likes on fb can often give us a pretty good indication of how well known and appreciated a band or artist is (or isn't). Whilst a high number of likes doesn't always tell the true story (it can be quite easily be grossly inflated by those in the know), a very low number is a pretty good indication that a band or artist isn't likely to attract much interest if we were to go ahead and add them here.

I know it's been said before, but we really can't evaluate every single band or artist that has music up on bandcamp which is tagged as 'prog' or 'progressive'. We all hear things differently of course, and some members of the Crossover team might well hear the odd time signatures of the music and turn a blind eye (or deaf ear) to the vocals, but on balance - and taking into account the extremely little-known status of this artist (no RYM entry either) - I didn't think they were really the kind of thing that PA should be concentrating on right now with some of the teams (Prog Metal, PSIKE and Post/Math Rock in particular...and Crossover to a slightly lesser extent) already overloaded with suggestions as it is.

The team will decide whether to evaluate or not, of course...I just added my two penn'orth here so that at least you had a reply to your post before it was about to disappear onto page two of the forum, and become lost in the ether for the next however many months. Embarrassed

Edit: I'm fairly sure that Eclectic Prog have a fairly substantial backlog of ongoing evaluations too - but I can't access the part of the forum where they track them, so can't confirm this.

Edited by yam yam - January 05 2016 at 10:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 12:50

The number of likes on fb can often give us a pretty good indication of how well known and appreciated a band or artist is (or isn't). Whilst a high number of likes doesn't always tell the true story (it can be quite easily be grossly inflated by those in the know), a very low number is a pretty good indication that a band or artist isn't likely to attract much interest if we were to go ahead and add them here.
https://www.facebook.com/thewormouroboros/?fref=ts The Worm Ouroboros, a very talented non-English Canterbury-style band, already in PA where their debut cd from 2013 - an AltrOck release - received some great reviews and it's high rated, and 65 likes at fb in this very moment Wacko

Edited by Komandant Shamal - January 05 2016 at 13:00
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 13:38

The number of likes on fb can often give us a pretty good indication of how well known and appreciated a band or artist is (or isn't).

LOL! There are exceptions to every rule! LOL The Worm Ouroboros are from Minsk, Belarus, and folks in that part of the World tend to use vk.com rather than facebook: http://vk.com/the_worm_ouroboros. That said, they don't seem to be particularly active on that site either - maybe they just aren't into social media all that much? Their English facebook suggests that they have made just 8 posts on there in 5 years - most of them being photo uploads or cover updates. It's no surprise that they don't have many 'likes' on there!! Their debut album was handled by a very well-respected prog label, and was indeed a superb effort, attracting some great reviews. That's a far cry from a self-released limited edition of just 40 CDs for Dot.Organ's debut effort - currently on offer via bandcamp for just 1 AUD each (about 72 cents in US money). Seems like they just want to get shot of them now. The latest album is purely a 'name your price' digital release at the moment. It's only just been released, so maybe it'll be more successful, and lead to the guys getting some physical CDs pressed again. Only time will tell.

As for The Worm Ouroboros, their short bio on vk.com says: "Currently, the band recorded a new studio album and give live performances", so let's hope there is more music in the pipeline from them. Thumbs Up

Edited by yam yam - January 05 2016 at 13:55
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 20:13

As for The Worm Ouroboros, their short bio on vk.com says: "Currently, the band recorded a new studio album and give live performances", so let's hope there is more music in the pipeline from them. Thumbs Up
hey man thats great! it means that The Worm Ouroboros will doubled the number of "likes" at their fb page and Dot.Organ's fantastic score of 120 fb "likes" will be finally reached!!!LOLThumbs Up
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2016 at 21:38
Unless "Zirconium Forcipes" becomes one of the best-selling new albums since "Abbey Road"...In which case The Worm Ouroboros will have no chance of catching them up on fb! Clown
 Post Reply Post Reply