Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind
Aliens

Damn!  How could I forget Trainspotting!?  It will replace LA Confidential. LOL
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2016 at 01:52
Originally posted by chazzaboy chazzaboy wrote:

You have put Johnny English in the middle of that lot - Are you sure???????????????????
English is the cherry on top of the cake!
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
chazzaboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2016 at 01:26
You have put Johnny English in the middle of that lot - Are you sure???????????????????
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 08:08
Some of my favourite movie comedies:

"Some Like It Hot" by Billy Wilder (example scene: party in Daphne's bed

"What's Up, Doc?" (example scene: San Francisco car chase)

"The Great Dictator" by Charlie Chaplin (example scene: Hynkel meets Napaloni)

"Arsenic and Old Lace" by Frank Capra (example scene: Mortimer discovers the body)

"Bringing Up Baby" by Howard Hawks (example scene: torn clothes)

"Charade" by Stanley Donen (example scene: passing the orange)

Edited by BaldFriede - July 10 2016 at 08:20

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 05:07
Since many didn't declare their full top ten movies or decided not to contribute at all, I hoped I could use a bit of their allowance:

Chaplin's Modern Times
To The Wonder & Thin Red Line from Terrence Malick
Nearly all from Hitchcock (Vertigo/Dial M For Murder/North by Northwest/Family Plot/Frenzy etc)
Pier Paolo Pasolini's Canturbury Tales & Arabian Nights
Mike Leigh's Nuts in May & Another Year
Little Big Man
Koyaanisqatsi
Payback with Mel Gibson
Vabank (Polish 1980s movie - ingenius)
Fargo - full feature from Cohen's brothers
Johnny English
Triplets of Belleville
A Scanner Darkly
Grave of the Fireflies
Once Upon A Time In The West
Ingmar Bergman's works
Obviously there must be something from Quentin, so let it be - Jackie Brown

Edited by Darious - July 12 2016 at 02:32
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
chazzaboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 02:21
Yes definitely I think
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 01:29
Originally posted by BunBun BunBun wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

1. Sorcerer (1977) William Friedkan. Despite the name, it has nothing to do with magic.

Friedkin's "Sorcerer" from 1977 is not bad as a remake, but the original "Le salaire de la peur" ("The Wages of Fear") from 1953 by Henri-Georges Clouzot starring Yves Montand, Charles Vanel, Peter van Eyck and Folco Lulli is better and could be in my top ten on another day

You know, it's kind of funny because I usually prefer originals myself and I saw the original french movie first. I gotta say, I didn't like it at all. I like some foreign movies but I thought it was too slow, I didn't feel any tension at all while they are transporting the nitroglycerine and that ending was just terrible I thought. I then watched William Friedkan's version a week after the original and I absolutely loved it. It fixed everything I didn't like about the original. I have since watched Sorcerer many times and I still love it. Anyways, I appreciate the heads up and I know I'm in the minority because many, at least on the internet, seem to prefer the original.

You must be kidding; the remake can't shine a candle to the original! I saw Friedkin's version at some time in the late 80s or early 90s in a rerun cinema and was totally disappointed; the character development in the Clouzot movie is so much better. There is nothing like the original; a true classic!

lol like I said I know I'm in the minority with this one, but I can't change how I feel. I'm honestly surprised by the love for the original because that was a struggle to even get through and its not like I haven't seen a lot of foreign films. I think part of the problem for me is that I love 60s and 70s films. I love the look of the movies, the acting styles, the directors and the actors from that period of time. I can't say the same for 50s, 40s, and 30s films. Wages of Fear came out in 1953 and the acting style, the pacing, everything felt off to me. Anyways, I wish I could appreciate the original like you do and its too bad you can't appreciate the remake like I do.

I don't care what time or region a movie is from, all I care for is that it has some emotional and/or intellectual impact on me. Pace is usually not something I worry about; I generally like slow-paced movies better than fast-paced ones, though there are exceptions. Some movies by Wim Wenders, like "Im Lauf der Zeit" ("Kings of the Road") or "Der Srand der Dinge" ("The State of Things") are too slow even for me, though there are other Wenders movies I like, for example "Der amerikanische Freund" ("The American Friend"). The problem I have with those disliked Wenders movies I mentioned is that they are not only slow-paced but also lack a real plot; they just meander along.

But back to "Wages of Fear": The beginning may be slow, but once the cars are on the road the movie is anything but slow.

Edited by BaldFriede - July 10 2016 at 01:31

DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2016 at 21:03
A Clockwork Orange
Eyes Wide Shut
The Shining
Gummo 
Pi
Eraserhead
Persepolis
Mary and Max
Babe / Babe: Pig in the City
Wallace & Gromit (All of them!)
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2016 at 20:11
Not in any order:

Fight Club
A Scanner Darkly
Rush
Akira
Ghost In The Shell
LA Confidential
Coming To America
Moon
Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind
Aliens
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2016 at 18:59
Originally posted by chazzaboy chazzaboy wrote:

1.Manhattan
2.Sleeper
3.American Beauty
4.Godfather
5.The Commitments
6.Diner
7.Jean de florette
8.Ben Hur
9.Bullitt
10.Dirty Harry

You already posted on Jan 17th--  the lists are different but similar.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2016 at 18:54
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

1. Sorcerer (1977) William Friedkan. Despite the name, it has nothing to do with magic.

Friedkin's "Sorcerer" from 1977 is not bad as a remake, but the original "Le salaire de la peur" ("The Wages of Fear") from 1953 by Henri-Georges Clouzot starring Yves Montand, Charles Vanel, Peter van Eyck and Folco Lulli is better and could be in my top ten on another day

You know, it's kind of funny because I usually prefer originals myself and I saw the original french movie first. I gotta say, I didn't like it at all. I like some foreign movies but I thought it was too slow, I didn't feel any tension at all while they are transporting the nitroglycerine and that ending was just terrible I thought. I then watched William Friedkan's version a week after the original and I absolutely loved it. It fixed everything I didn't like about the original. I have since watched Sorcerer many times and I still love it. Anyways, I appreciate the heads up and I know I'm in the minority because many, at least on the internet, seem to prefer the original.

You must be kidding; the remake can't shine a candle to the original! I saw Friedkin's version at some time in the late 80s or early 90s in a rerun cinema and was totally disappointed; the character development in the Clouzot movie is so much better. There is nothing like the original; a true classic!

lol like I said I know I'm in the minority with this one, but I can't change how I feel. I'm honestly surprised by the love for the original because that was a struggle to even get through and its not like I haven't seen a lot of foreign films. I think part of the problem for me is that I love 60s and 70s films. I love the look of the movies, the acting styles, the directors and the actors from that period of time. I can't say the same for 50s, 40s, and 30s films. Wages of Fear came out in 1953 and the acting style, the pacing, everything felt off to me. Anyways, I wish I could appreciate the original like you do and its too bad you can't appreciate the remake like I do.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2016 at 08:56

BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2016 at 06:46

Edited by BunBun - July 09 2016 at 06:50
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2016 at 04:02

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
chazzaboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2016 at 01:54
1.Manhattan
2.Sleeper
3.American Beauty
4.Godfather
5.The Commitments
6.Diner
7.Jean de florette
8.Ben Hur
9.Bullitt
10.Dirty Harry

TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2016 at 22:41
-V for Vendetta
-The Shawshank Redemption
-The Godfather
-The Dark Knight
-Memento
-Se7en
-Point Break
-Lucky Number Slevin
-The Ring
-The Prestige
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2016 at 22:08
In no particular Order

2. The Servant (1963)
3. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)
4. In the Heat of the Night (1967)
5. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966)
6. The Mummy (1999)
7. It's A Mad, mad, mad, mad World (1963)
8. The Night Porter (1974)
9. Playtime (1967) In fact, I just adore Jacques Tati.
10. The Searchers (1959)

Honorable Mentions:

Solaris and Stalker (I've been meaning to watch Andrei Tarkovsky's other films as well), Wings of Desire, Rio Bravo, The Fugitive, The Loved One (1965), Brazil, A New Leaf, A Woman Under the Influence ,and Blade Runner.

Gee, I like a lot of films so I could probably go on but ill leave it at that for now. Anyways, as you can probably see, I especially like 60s and 70s films.

Edited by BunBun - July 08 2016 at 22:11
DanicaL View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 10:55
1 resevoir dogs
2 birdman 
3 star wars II
4 jaws
5 insideman 
6 cheap thrills 
7 evil dead 2
8 ghostbusters
9 django unchained 
10 caddyshack 
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 21:06
Huh, I didn't know there was a Curse 3, maybe I'll check it out out of morbid curiosity. Also, as far as the Ju-on series is concerned, the 'Kayako' segment in the first "Ju-on: The Curse" (2000) has to be one of the creepiest evil horror segments ever. Iconic.

Never saw the US remake of A Tale of Two Sisters (called 'The Uninvited'), and have no desire to see it either.

I was really into the Asian horror scene over a decade ago until saturation sorta killed it. One of my fav Japanese entries is 'Noroi' from 2005 I think. It actually has a nutjob character who wears an actual tin-foil hat and yet still manages to be one of the most unsettling supernatural films I've seen! That's a top 30 at least.
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 15:27
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Originally posted by Skalla-Grim Skalla-Grim wrote:

- Ju-on: The Grudge (2002)

Interesting choice...my avatar must bring back memories...

I re-watched the film a few days ago and, of course, remembered your avatar. By the way all the Ju-on films directed by Takashi Shimizu are equally great, including the US remakes. I haven't watched The Curse 3 yet, because it wasn't directed by Shimizu, but I'm going to watch it soon.
"4/4 - That's 5/4 minus one." - Don Ellis (1934-1978)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>