Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat's a fair price for a CD or download ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2016 at 22:01
Well that's just nuts.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2016 at 22:02
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Komandant Shamal Komandant Shamal wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Cd - 15

Concert - 30

Vinyl - 89.99

Download - 0
Clap i would agree with this concise answer which comprehed the OP question without needlessly tittle-tattle.
So you think all downloads should be free. Cute.

I have not paid 15 for any CD, last one was PT~Octane Twisted but that included a DVD. I have not paid 89.99 for vinyl, most I have paid in the last 10yrs was $75.00 for an original Delirium label release of PT~Signify. I don't even pay have of that.....Oh well, guess I am a good negotiator LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2016 at 22:19

Cd - 15

Concert - 30

Vinyl - 89.99

Download - 0
Clap i would agree with this concise answer which comprehed the OP question without needlessly tittle-tattle.
yes, downloads should be free ('name your price'), though the prices of vinyl lps must go up.
Name your price is not free, if you pay nothing then it has no price, if you pay something then it is not free. 

The question that you state to have comprehended is "what is a fair price for a CD or download?" - the answer you agreed with (using a dumb clappie like a performing circus seal) was "0" - therefore the "name your price" that you honestly believe to be a fair one (since you comprehended the damn question) was zero, zilch, nada, nought, nowt, zip, nothing.

So now explain why the cost of vinyl, which can be produced in runs of 500 for $7 each, should be sold for 12 times that cost... and why the price must go up.
What?
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 05:26
I'm not sure what is "fair", but I don't like to pay more than £10 for a CD and £7.99 for a download (assuming a single album - obviously I would pay more for double albums, though not twice as much).
If there is a difference of around £ or less, I would pay the extra and get the CD - depending on how familiar I am with the artist and how confident I am that I will like it.  BUt otherwise I will get wchichever format is cheapest.

I don't understand the appeal of vinyl at all.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 06:54

The sort of prices I pay at the moment?

CD - £10 but generally pay less than this unless it's a new release that I really want
Downloads - around £7
(assuming a single CD for both)
Vinyl - I don't buy it
Gigs - Well, I paid over £100 for Kate Bush but there is no other artist still working who I would do that for. I consider £10/12 for a small gig (which I prefer) to around £30 for a bigger venue/artist about fair.

And that's not bad considering my first LP cost me £2.45 in 1973 and that would apparently be around £20 now according to the inflation calculator I just tried.

Edited by chopper - January 11 2016 at 06:55
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 07:05
Gigs, I typically like to go to small gigs in the $10 to $30 range, I'll occasionally splurge up to $70-$80 if the band is a must see, but their aren't many of those. I'll pay $150-$250 for a three day festival about 3 times a year but they usually come with a bigger bill for flights and accommodation. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 07:06
Last year I paid £20 to see Genesis tribute band The Carpet Crawlers perform The Lamb in its entirety @ The Maltings in Farnham, Surrey. What at first seemed to be a lot for a tribute band turned out to be a bloody bargain for a faultless two hour show complete with all the correct back-projections and costumes.

[Genesis wrote Watcher of the Skies in the cellar bar of The Maltings all those years ago.]

Other than that I have no fixed price for what I would or would not pay to see a band because I probably only manage 2 or 3 gigs a year now so the expense is irrelevant. If I want to see the show I'll go and see it.
What?
altaeria View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 12:57
Adele and Taylor Swift make these decisions. 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2016 at 14:51
Originally posted by altaeria altaeria wrote:

Adele and Taylor Swift make these decisions. 

When both are 40 I doubt anyone goes to their shows like they are now.......Or the make up companies pay them what they are getting now as spoke-models.....I don't know the break down but both Swift and Katy Perry make boat loads from make up contracts, way more than music.
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 00:59
I consider $10 to $16 (£7 to £11) to be a fair price for a CD. Usually, I only pay more than that if the CD is out of print and the album is not for available for purchase as a download.

For digital downloads, I usually pay $6 to $10 (£4 to £7) for MP3 albums, though I'm willing to pay an extra dollar or two if it's available in a lossless format.

Interestingly, I was able to buy CD's from Amazon that were cheaper than the same albums in MP3 format. I suppose they were trying to free up space in the warehouse.

Edited by Replayer - January 12 2016 at 01:00
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 01:56

Cd - 15

Concert - 30

Vinyl - 89.99

Download - 0

yes, downloads should be free ('name your price'), though the prices of vinyl lps must go up.

Name your price is not free, if you pay nothing then it has no price, if you pay something then it is not free. 

The question that you state to have comprehended is "what is a fair price for a CD or download?" - the answer you agreed with (using a dumb clappie like a performing circus seal) was "0" - therefore the "name your price" that you honestly believe to be a fair one (since you comprehended the damn question) was zero, zilch, nada, nought, nowt, zip, nothing.

So now explain why the cost of vinyl, which can be produced in runs of 500 for $7 each, should be sold for 12 times that cost... and why the price must go up.

Never use emoticons when big Dean is around! He loathes them immensely and he may become terrible unkind.
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 05:41

Cd - 15

Concert - 30

Vinyl - 89.99

Download - 0

Never use emoticons when big Dean is around! He loathes them immensely and he may become terrible unkind.
LOL Clap Thumbs Up
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 05:51

Cd - 15

Concert - 30

Vinyl - 89.99

Download - 0

LOL Clap Thumbs Up
Correction: Dean loathes badly used emoticons and may become terribly unkind when they are followed by facile remarks. Stern Smile
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 07:04
Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

Interestingly, I was able to buy CD's from Amazon that were cheaper than the same albums in MP3 format. I suppose they were trying to free up space in the warehouse.
I noticed that when I wanted to download a Motorpsycho album. It was cheaper to buy the CD with a free download than it was to buy the download on its own Confused, so I ordered the CD, got the download, saved a few quid and threw the CD away.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 07:43
I always prefer to buy CDs.  More expensive (generally), but if ever all my electronic devices crash, I won't lose the music. Also I listen to things on CD as well.
Blinkyjoh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 11:00
new:
I think $12-15Cdn is fair for New Regular Length Cd. 
$20-25 for a double but that is pushing it.
Obscure CDs that Amazon probably sells 10 of a year, i can see warranting $5 more.
$8 for downloads tops. 

old:
I think old cd's are overpriced, whether they are remastered or not, $10 flat.
$5 for DLs. i can just haunt thrift stores and find what i want, upload it for cheaper. so $5 fair.

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 13:36

Cd - 15

Concert - 30

Vinyl - 89.99

Download - 0

LOL Clap Thumbs Up

Correction: Dean loathes badly used emoticons and may become terribly unkind when they are followed by facile remarks. Stern Smile

WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 14:09

Cd - 15

Concert - 30

Vinyl - 89.99

Download - 0

LOL Clap Thumbs Up

Building pyramids is fun! Smile

Edited by WeepingElf - January 12 2016 at 14:10
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 14:41
Pyramids is confusing if you haven't been around for a few yearsConfused.
Haven't brought a CD for a number of years either until tonight. Still working on old prices. For me and my low income about £7-£10 for a CD. I did look into MP3 albums recently but they were not much different then a CD in price. I tend to buy second hand CD's which are usually more affordable including  postage and packing.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2016 at 15:08
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Just to clarify, this thread isn't about whether the Dream Theater (can't even spell ;-) ) release is a fair price.... it's asking "What IS a fair price for music in general ?" 

I know this thread thread isn't about whether Dream Theatre can't even spell, as clearly they can't.

As for a fair price for music in general... Hmm, Hard, it depends heavily on cost of production, distribution, cost of venue etc, their costs generally. I will pay more for a new vinyl than a new CD and I will pay more for a CD than a download. For a downloaded album, I don't mind paying a few bucks. For a vinyl with a nice, high quality cardboard sleeve I will pay 20 plus, mahogany sleeve will pay more, for a CD maybe 8 bucks, and for a leather LP will pay more. I don't like CDs, though (unlike vinyls, CDs are outdated technology haha). For a concert, depends on how good the venue is, how big the band is, and how far they have to travel. For a local act, free, but I buy beer or watch in the park.

I would pay more for a platinum record than a vinyl since the material cost is so much more. I buy my records before they go gold or platinum since my work is part-time and I simply cannot afford the more expensive materials.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>