Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Selling CD collection advice
    Posted: July 29 2016 at 15:41
Omg keep them!! Just keep'em.

I would sense a true moment of regret on the horizon.
Don't sell your data base of joy. Don't do it.
That is my feeling and advice.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 15:09
Originally posted by ProgBob ProgBob wrote:

If it's simply a matter of the space they are taking up, have you considered something like this:

http://www.spacesavingsleeves.com/

I have used these and they really do allow you to squeeze your collection into a much smaller space.

These are great!!  Never knew they existed.  The solve many problems like scratched jewel cases, saving space, not having to throw out the back insert.  Going to get some of these ASAP.  Thanks!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2016 at 19:10
Do NOT sell them as SO many go out of print and, believe me, you WILL regret it (as I have on several cds I sold & now want back SO badly!)

Edited by Clepsydra - July 26 2016 at 19:10
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 19:21
Damn, sounds like you have quite the collection.
Bucklebutt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 19:10
I've got some great advice, sell it to me for cheap Clap
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 18:08

Edit -

Edited by Atavachron - July 25 2016 at 17:31
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 10:01
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

Nobody wants CDs anymore.

Guess that make me a nobody...

and a fine nobody you are...and you are not alone. I did vinyl to CD once.. not going backward... and forget digital mp3 formats. They sound like sh*t in comparison to either vinyl or CD. Good for PA's band evaluations, doing pre-purchase checks... or doing Lester Burnham impressions running through the neighborhood while thinking about banging your daughters best friend...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 05:49
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

Nobody wants CDs anymore.

Guess that make me a nobody...
I've sold stuff on half.com and amazon.  Granted you have to pack the stuff and pay to mail it but if your collection is that much a hassle for you, why not make the effort?  I am five titles away from hitting the 1600 mark on CDs.  I have a place in my home for them with reasonable expansion room.  I maxed out at about 130 new additions one year. Last year it was just 20.  Everything in my collection gets listened to sooner or later thanks to my many randomization schemes.  Bottom line - don't buy stuff just for the sake of having spare money and just to have something.  And the stuff I would sell off aren't really that valuable to anyone.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 29 2016 at 05:54
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 12:26
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

So over the last year or two I've been slowly reducing the amount of "stuff" we've accumulated over the last lifetime and I'm now looking at my CD collection. Currently around 2000 titles. I want to start with some of the heavier stuff like AC/DC. Black Sabbath, Van Halen etc., holding onto the truly prog stuff as long as I can. Can anyone share their experience, success and/or failures using methods such as Beat Goes On (used CD shop in Canada), E-Bay, posting to forums etc. I'd obviously like to maximize the return but I'd also like to keep the process quick and simple.

I'll start the bidding. 2,000 titles at 1p per title, means a total bid of £20. If accepted, my e-mail address will follow
Selling CDs By the Pound?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 12:18
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Years ago, I used to be afflicted with a kind of "Musical Bulimia", where I would constantly buy things and get rid of them, and buy them back, etc.
                 Even rare items.
         What I started to do, and this will sound pretty odd to you people, was getting rid of the booklet, and keeping the CD and case and backing; that way it wasn't really salable, but I still had the music at my disposal.
             I am now fortunate in that I have rid myself of this, and no longer have to tear up the booklet to make something unsalable.
                  And I find there are things that I lose interest in for quite a while, but they eventually become of interest again, so it is good to hold onto things that you lose interest in, as that could conceivably change with time.
Just answer the guy's question already, and enough of the frothing at the mouth on the subject!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 19:26
ANCHORFREE_VERSION="623161526"(function(){if(typeof(_AF2$runned)!='undefined'&&_AF2$runned==true){return}_AF2$runned=true;_AF2$ = {'SN':'HSSHIELD00NZ','IP':'63.141.199.148','CH':'HSSCNL000773','CT':'7H,oxm,z38,z293','HST':'','AFH':'hss488','RN':Math.floor(Math.random()*999),'TOP':(parent.location!=document.location||top.location!=document.location)?0:1,'AFVER':'5.1.5','fbw':false,'FBWCNT':0,'FBWCNTNAME':'FBWCNT_FIREFOX','NOFBWNAME':'NO_FBW_FIREFOX','B':'f','VER': 'nonus'};if(_AF2$.TOP==1){document.write("");}})();So I used a euphemism, or at least or more or less redundant term instead of crooked, thieving, ethically bankrupt, corrupt, self-interested shysters. Perhaps the implication was understood.

It didn't take off because the company with SACD versus the companies with DVD A decided in fighting was the best way of doing business. Everybody lost, well done. There is no upside to this example of utter self-indulgent corporate stupidity.

However, IF these incompetents have been awarded the Order of the Boot those replacing them (if any) involved with marketing the rapidly advancing music technologies as product could harness the potential of quality audio (via consumer choice at a fair price structure) then we might see a return of the "music industry."

The classical world uses hi res no problem, it's just somehow different here in disposable pop music land.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2016 at 16:09
They've already tried that, but since they (the music industry as you call it) thought they could rob the buyer blind for the privilege the format didn't take to the populace. They are, in many ways, dying of they're own greed.

Edited by JD - January 26 2016 at 16:10
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 21:53
ANCHORFREE_VERSION="623161526"(function(){if(typeof(_AF2$runned)!='undefined'&&_AF2$runned==true){return}_AF2$runned=true;_AF2$ = {'SN':'HSSHIELD00NZ','IP':'63.141.199.11','CH':'HSSCNL100773','CT':'7H,oxm,z38,z293','HST':'','AFH':'hss506','RN':Math.floor(Math.random()*999),'TOP':(parent.location!=document.location||top.location!=document.location)?0:1,'AFVER':'5.1.5','fbw':false,'FBWCNT':0,'FBWCNTNAME':'FBWCNT_FIREFOX','NOFBWNAME':'NO_FBW_FIREFOX','B':'f','VER': 'nonus'};if(_AF2$.TOP==1){document.write("");}})();One thing I would advise anyone ripping their CDs to hard drives is to do so in a lossless format, shn or flac. Yes, you can still have your mp3s but you also have a back up of the original file so if listening to the exact quality is ever required then you can do so. Mp3s lose up to 75% of the detail which can be obvious even on a car stereo - well to a nut like me anyway.

Now if only the music industry supplied hi res hard copy (DVD-A, blu ray and SACD) as a default option they might see some sales...
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 19:27
Sold a ton of CD's back.  Took them to a CD shop in Baltimore (The Sound Garden).  Sure I took a beating on the money back, but now when I move again, I wont have 15 huge boxes of CD's.  The value of CD's are dropping since the invention of mp3.  Nobody wants CDs anymore.

I spent about 3 months digitally ripping all of my CD's to MP3's.  Backed them up on 3 hard drives and also in 3 geographic locations (on friend's and family's computers).  I am so happy to have the space back.  And I'm listening to a lot of my collection more because it is so easily accessible on the computer.  

I have recently started a quest to consistently and meticulously TAG all of these mp3's with consistent labeling and cover art.  I started in October and its now January.  I have about 10,000 more mp3's to go. Thumbs Up

Let me tell you, it is time consuming, but so much more rewarding.Big smile   I got a lot of physical space back, I don't have to pack and move tons of CD's if and when I have to relocate, and I have been reliving all of my collection because of the organizing and tagging tasks.   It has been a great experience.

I DID NOT sell back any CD's that were signed, box sets, limited edition release or numbered editions.  I have not sold any vinyl.   Now if I can just figure out what to do with all the cassettes.  UGH! Disapprove
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2016 at 01:04
Originally posted by scruffydragon scruffydragon wrote:

E-bay I feel is a very difficult place to sell CD's. There will be good sales but many more disappointing ones.You may even find like I did people buying the CD's then returning them for little or no reason other then they did not like the music or they thought it was something different despite me taking care to describe what I was selling. In this case I also had to pay for return postage as many were returned as faulty despite being brand new and placed flawlessly after receiving them back.

Maybe what happened is that "customers" considered this a v. cheap rental, copied, returned the goods for no "reason" and for little output. If you think the worst of people you're most likely to be right especially when it comes to money.

In the LP days used product exploration was fun, interesting and exciting. Now... CD recordings may be this but there is little market. I suppose the online sharing replaced the used music thing but that ruined the music economy. or changed it so it's now so cottage industry oriented that really only the household names have any commercial impact.

I also think the rapid change of technology has activated and emphasized a reactionary attitude. In the early 1980s were people into CDs regretting getting rid of the records? Yet now vinyl is the new CD. What do people do? Tape 'em as well? To emphasize the pace of tech change a friend of mine once remarked that "DVDs were so 20th Century" despite making their first appearance a mere 13 - 14 years ago.

There's less money to purchase for many people now, but just as much demand for music. If and when I lash out for something I make sure it's what I need and want. The impulse purchase (wondering about the follow up deluxe edition) has gone for me. Which may be a good thing.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2016 at 15:41
Originally posted by ProgBob ProgBob wrote:

I have used these and they really do allow you to squeeze your collection into a much smaller space.

The sleeve inserts are mandatory if you are a collector ... they help keep dust out and prevents the albums from turning brown with age, which is very common with "paper".

But all in all, that side of collecting is not my bag. I'm more into the music itself, than anything else, although I love the art work, and some albums I'm keeping because of the art.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2016 at 13:09
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

If you are never going to listen to something again, why continue to waste space on it? 
There isn't a single album in my collection, or CD, or DVD, that is not appreciated ... so i wonder why it is that you can so easily think in terms of letting things go. I can understand the not needing to have the stuff with you, when it already is inside you in your heart, like it is for me with Schulze, TD, Stivell, Vangelis and the like ... but sometimes ... it's mostly a mood thing ... I get home, and I grab this and that CD and play it ... tomorrow, it's 2 different CD's ... and so it goes.

There are CDs in my collection that are not appreciated and that I can easily let go. Things I bought 30 years ago, for example, listened to a couple of times, realized I just wasn't all that interested and haven't listened to them since. For example, I bought Sinead O'Connor's I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got back in the early 1990s, and after a few listens realized that Nothing Compares to You is the only good song on the album. It's saved to iTunes, so why do I need to keep the whole CD for one song? Also things that were gifts. I like some Elton John, but not all. My husband well-meaningly gave me Goodbye Yellow Brick Road ten years ago, not realizing that I had loathed it since high school. These are CDs that it's not worth giving space to, so I get rid of them.

It's not that challenging, really.  No matter what the mood, I will never listen to either of those CDs again, so they went to Goodwill, and maybe someone else will appreciate them.
Bleak Dragon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2016 at 12:33
Discogs works.  Bit slow to sell but as a collector it's one of my major goto sites for buying.  And no time constraints.
ProgBob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2016 at 11:04
If it's simply a matter of the space they are taking up, have you considered something like this:

http://www.spacesavingsleeves.com/

Edited by ProgBob - January 19 2016 at 11:07
Bob
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2016 at 10:36

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Thin out my collection?
*stares blankly off into space, then blinks*

Ummm...what were we talking about again?

If you are never going to listen to something again, why continue to waste space on it? 

I have a very large collection, and have been replacing the LP's in the collection due to their weight and space. All in all, I am finding that I have given my collection a better listen than I realized and i pretty much can pull out any CD, and within a minute I can tell you what it is ... I guess you could say, that no heart attacks, or strokes yet, have taken my mind and appreciation for the music away!

I think that this has a lot more to do with the actual appreciation for music, than it does for anything else. I can not see someone collecting anything, and simply thinking that they will make money off it all 100 years from now ... that's just crazy.

There isn't a single album in my collection, or CD, or DVD, that is not appreciated ... so i wonder why it is that you can so easily think in terms of letting things go. I can understand the not needing to have the stuff with you, when it already is inside you in your heart, like it is for me with Schulze, TD, Stivell, Vangelis and the like ... but sometimes ... it's mostly a mood thing ... I get home, and I grab this and that CD and play it ... tomorrow, it's 2 different CD's ... and so it goes.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>