Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 21:52
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I'd say half the songs on 70's Genesis albums. LOL and this answer serves for both polls.

They are top albums.. but simply aren't very good albums for half the time the music is f**king great.. the other half is a frickin snooze fest.

Actually, I agree in part. The Battle of Epping Forest on SEbtP and the second half of the Lamb album detract from the whole. As I have said before, The Lamb has the greatest single record Genesis released; unfortunately, it's a double album.Wink

Again, funny how tastes can differ so! To my ears and mind The Lamb is one of the most perfect albums of music with "The Cage" and the title song being the low points. (And those aren't very low!) Sides 3 and 4 are nearly flawless, to me, sauf perhaps Colony of Slipperman and It. Why are we different? Because we play with the illusions of subjectivity and separation . . .

Indeed how tastes can differ. For me The Lamb is a clear step down from what Genesis had achieved on their previous albums. I just don't find anything nearly as great as "Musical Box", "Supper's Ready", "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight", "Firth of Fifth", or "Cinema Show" (which would be something like my selection of favourite Genesis tracks, none of which obviously comes from The Lamb). The closest song for me to the greatness of those ones would be "In the Cage", actually. There are some other songs I do like on The Lamb... but they aren't many, and not nearly as much as with the previous albums.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 22:03
I usually skip these tracks:

Are you Ready Eddy?   ELP - Tarkus
Countdown  Rush - Signals

(well, not "top", but these are fairly high-rated albums)

Z
Jonathan68 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 13:04
For me it is definitely "The Battle of Epping Forest" from SEBTP. Not only is it my least favorite Genesis song but it is one of my least favorite songs period. Gabriel tried to shove way too many lyrics into it and it just really suffers from that. I also think the music is uninspired. I really wish they had put "Twilight Alehouse" on the album instead.

Another song I am not crazy about is "Just For The Record" on Clutching At Straws. I just feel it seems out of place between the intensity of "Going Under" and "White Russian". It would have made a better B-Side song IMO.
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2016 at 03:52
Another one I had forgotten about is Family Man on Five Miles Out.
Five Miles Out is such an excellent album apart from Family Man which is such a blot on this otherwise excellent album.

Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 16:26
Down by the Seaside on Physical Graffity
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 01:05
Your Ow Special Way on Wind And Wuthering. I regret to say for me it is nauseatingly sentimental and the error compounded by no Inside And Out; which made it to a rapidly disappearing EP. It might not belong really but I can make that adjustment for a great Hackett number. Having said that, I must say Special Way is very well done.

Where are we? Oh yes, Loathsome ballads. let the axe continue. Almost every Ozzy Osbourne ballad which along with almost every Aerosmith ballad (Sabbath's Solitude and Aerosmith's Dream On remain the only ballads from the prog-related band and the totally non-prog-related band I can stand). Add in the only Blue Oyster Cult number I don't like; Debbie Denise, a contemporary of the dire Beth by Kiss and this means my skip load of disposable ballads over-runneth. Particularly Changes. Ozzy does Elton John. Mmm. No. Can't make up my mind which is worse, his daughter's, his, or (I've only recently found out) their duet / duel. Really it's a blot on the otherwise superb Volume 4. Btw, I don't really count Planet Caravan as a ballad, just a slow spacey number. Or it's reprise, Zeitgeist on 13.

1976 was not a good year for ballads as one may note. Thrown in Sabbath's She's Gone (all the tension of soggy tissue) and the diabolical Australia (the song...) from otherwise fine axe master Steve Howe and the world will be so much better.

A good contender for the ultimate shudder-horror-puke award may go to Yes for Circus of Heaven and the appearance of the child.

The rest of these albums are loaded with decent numbers. Except the Kiss one which as 2 or maybe three if I feel generous.

Now just to take another view what albums are ruined by the absence of a crucial number? The somewhat ordinary Beatles' Let It Be is let down by the occasional absence of the ironically titled classic Don't Bring Me Down. It does however have yet another excruciating ballad. The Long And Whining Road with that awful string section.

GreatBeyonder View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 03:03
Genesis albums are REALLY inconsistent. I can fit all the songs I like on their four albums onto one disc, and Lamb could do with a few less instrumentals. (They're only really there so Peter Gabriel could change costume during the show.) The only one I enjoy every track on is Selling England. The Phil Collins era is worse, with only Genesis as their 'perfect album'.

But I still love those tracks to death.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 03:37
"Bulb" on Egg's s/t debut (insiders will get the joke).
"Battle of Epping Forest" on Genesis' SEBTP, as you said.
"Brain Damage" on Floyd's DSOTM, I really dislike that song for some reason.
"Six Ate" on Camel's s/t debut.
"Golf Girl" on Caravan's "In The Land Of Grey And Pink".
HosiannaMantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 09:42
"Great Gig in The Sky" - Dark Side of the Moon
"Love to Love You" - In the Land of Grey and Pink
"Aristillus" - Moonmadness
"Benny the Bouncer" - Brain Salad Surgery
"We Have Heaven" - Fragile
"Moving Waves" - Moving Waves
"Blowing Free" - Argus

...Not that all of those are bad, but I think their mother albums would be trully perfect without them. Big smile
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 10:03
Yes - Close to the Edge - And You And I
Dream Theater - Images & Words - Another Day, Surrounded
Eloy - Silent Cries... - De Labore Solis
Hawkwind - Levitation - Who's Gonna Win the War
Kraftwerk - The Man-Machine - The Man-Machine
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother - Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast

TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 11:50
"Mother" on Synchronicity.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 12:18
Originally posted by HosiannaMantra HosiannaMantra wrote:

"Great Gig in The Sky" - Dark Side of the Moon [...]

...Not that all of those are bad, but I think their mother albums would be truly perfect without them.

Sorry snipping. Different strokes for different folks. "Great Gig in the Sky" is a particular favourite of mine on Dark Side of the Moon. I love it. The only one I would skip sometimes is "Money", which felt most out of place to me.

Edited by Logan - May 26 2016 at 12:19
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 15:44
Originally posted by Jonathan68 Jonathan68 wrote:

For me it is definitely "The Battle of Epping Forest" from SEBTP. Not only is it my least favorite Genesis song but it is one of my least favorite songs period. Gabriel tried to shove way too many lyrics into it and it just really suffers from that. I also think the music is uninspired. I really wish they had put "Twilight Alehouse" on the album instead.

Another song I am not crazy about is "Just For The Record" on Clutching At Straws. I just feel it seems out of place between the intensity of "Going Under" and "White Russian". It would have made a better B-Side song IMO.
Couldn't disagree more about 'Battle. It brings a much needed frolic to an otherwise sullen album. The go-to song for that album on this thread would have to be I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe). What a clap-a-long, arms-over-head-and-waving-side-to-side piece of crap. I mean, who gives a holy sh%t?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 17:25
From SEBTP: "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" and "More Fool Me" in exchange for "Twilight Alehouse"
From WYWH: "Welcome to the Machine"

Disapprove
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 18:08
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

"Mother" on Synchronicity.

OMG Yes. What a total waste of space on a great album.
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 19:13
Originally posted by Modrigue Modrigue wrote:

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother - Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast
You didn't say that Cry , it's my prefered track from PF, really, i can even say that's one of the eternal masterpieces that i heard, i can listen to this when with anger, sad, happy and it's always sounds perfect to me, i don't know why.

Another thing, why the hate on Battle of Epping Forest?, it's the best song from the album!

But for me, a song that i highly dislike is A Sprinkling of Clouds, from Gong.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 21:06
"Do It" from The Doors' The Soft Parade. Everything else ranges from decent to great, but it's the one song that sounds like it was written just to fill space on the album. It says something where the improve portion of King Crimson's "Moonchild" is about three times as long, and yet sounds three times less tedious than "Do It".

Also, call me crazy, but I've never been a big fan of "Natural Science" from Rush's Permanent Waves, though I admit the second half to that piece is okay.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 22:08
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Also, call me crazy, but I've never been a big fan of "Natural Science"

You're crazy.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 22:33
It isn't that any of the tracks are bad, but Peter Gabriel 3 never again reaches the heights of "Intruder" and "No Self Control" for me. The rest of the tracks don't warrant a top album imo.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 05:36
A couple that limp to mind are Moonchild - not the Rory Gallagher number but the one with 10 minutes of acoustic guitar. Apparently it's an extended re-write of Moonchild.

And one that gets me is the jam on S4 (end of CD) of Made In Japan. Space Trucking is played, ended and the next 20 minutes are blamed on that otherwise fine song as a relentless rhythm is driven with everyone making as much noise as possible around it.

Holy Lamb doesn't really fit the rest of Big Generator (bit too pro-Christian for me)but at least it does not have the twee characteristic of Circus Of Heaven (bit too kid vocal featured for me).

Mother could have lost some of it's length; same with Us And Them.

Yet they are all pretty great albums.

I'm sure you know the ones I mean... ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>