FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNot so good songs on top albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2016 at 09:40
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Okay, I have to know - what's the problem with Starship Trooper? I can see I've Seen All Good People not being everyone's cup of tea, but it's hard to see ST as weak.

edited to add: If there's a complaint about a song on The Yes Album, I would think it would be A Venture.  Which just sounds out of place.
I actually like A Venture.
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2016 at 09:44
Chelsea Monday on Script for a jester's Tear. I've always felt it just lumbers and doesn't do anything.
The Party on Holidays in Eden. I've really grown to like this album over the years but this track just lets the whole album down
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2016 at 09:45
^^ I do as well... obviously not the classic that other songs on the album were but far being a clunker.

Edited by micky - January 24 2016 at 09:45
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2016 at 09:47
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Okay, I have to know - what's the problem with Starship Trooper? I can see I've Seen All Good People not being everyone's cup of tea, but it's hard to see ST as weak.

edited to add: If there's a complaint about a song on The Yes Album, I would think it would be A Venture.  Which just sounds out of place.

There's something about it that just sounds out of place in a Yes album, but I have never been able to identify why. It sounds kind of Genesis-y to me, but not in a good way.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2016 at 09:56
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

"Awful me" on "Selling England By the Pound". Yes, I know the title is "More Fool Me", but that's my nickname for this song because it is so awful.

I do know what you mean. Historically this would have been my pick too, but I've been able to make my peace with it and actually enjoy it as time (lots and lots of time) passed by. The guitar backing is really very excellent, but something about the vocals really tends to make one want to wince. I'm still trying to get there with For Absent Friends, although I quite like the classical guitar that drives it. Once again it's something about those vocals.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2016 at 10:18

There's something about it that just sounds out of place in a Yes album, but I have never been able to identify why. It sounds kind of Genesis-y to me, but not in a good way.
I can see how it might be out of place. Continuity counts for a lot, I've always thought. I just always thought the album as a whole was weak anyway. Unfortunately it was my first introduction to the band way way back when. I'd've been better off starting off elsewhere. Genesis-y? Hmm...I shall reflect. The keyboards I thought were particularly nice on that track. It would have been better if the keyboard brought it to an end musically rather than just fading out.

Edited by HackettFan - January 24 2016 at 10:24
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2016 at 15:46

I can see how it might be out of place. Continuity counts for a lot, I've always thought. I just always thought the album as a whole was weak anyway. Unfortunately it was my first introduction to the band way way back when. I'd've been better off starting off elsewhere. Genesis-y? Hmm...I shall reflect. The keyboards I thought were particularly nice on that track. It would have been better if the keyboard brought it to an end musically rather than just fading out.

Maybe "Genesis-y" isn't accurate, but I just can't put my finger on what that song reminds me of. I just listened to it again and there's something about the bounciness of it that just grates on my nerves. It does sound very derivative, but I'm not sure derivative of what.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2016 at 18:54

"Awful me" on "Selling England By the Pound". Yes, I know the title is "More Fool Me", but that's my nickname for this song because it is so awful.

I do know what you mean. Historically this would have been my pick too, but I've been able to make my peace with it and actually enjoy it as time (lots and lots of time) passed by. The guitar backing is really very excellent, but something about the vocals really tends to make one want to wince. I'm still trying to get there with For Absent Friends, although I quite like the classical guitar that drives it. Once again it's something about those vocals.

I always liked ""For Absent Friends" BECAUSE of the vocals, but the vocals of "Awful Me" are beyond my tolerance border.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2016 at 21:42
Originally posted by Cambus741 Cambus741 wrote:

Chelsea Monday on Script for a jester's Tear. I've always felt it just lumbers and doesn't do anything.
The Party on Holidays in Eden. I've really grown to like this album over the years but this track just lets the whole album down

Actually, I would say Garden Party from that album. The rest is wonderful (including Chelsea Monday for me).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2016 at 21:44

I certainly don't like "More Fool Me" either, but I don't particularly hate it, and it's short enough that it wouldn't prevent me from considering the album a masterpiece. Battle of Epping Forest is the one song that really drags the album down for me... that one is long and annoying.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2016 at 09:55
I had no idea that 'Battle' was so disliked!  'More Fool Me' is dreadful...I didn't like 'After the Ordeal' at first, I read many years later that it was the start of the Hackett/Banks feud that lead to Hackett leaving some four years later.

I also hate to say it as I love ELP but their albums have the odd stinker on them (although 'Tank' is one of my favourites...) - among them are 'Nutrocker' and 'Benny the Bouncer', sadly going off the scale by 'Works Vol. 2' (excluding the solo sides on Works Vol. 1 that is, the group side is great)
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2016 at 16:57
Number 9....number 9...number 9

Angra - Fireworks: Speed
Megadeth - United Abominations: A tout le Monde (pointless remake)
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway: The Waiting Room
Pink Floyd - The Wall: Bring the Boys Back Home/ Goodbye Cruel World
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 03:22
The Pursuit Of Excellence - Pendragon (The Masquerade Overture)
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 04:16
'The Waiting Room' off Lamb?  Disagree - a rare Genesis foray into improv. and Henry Cow territory - that track is a gem!
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 06:12
On The Run off DSOTM is pretty boring IMO.
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 06:29
Body Language on Hot Space.
The only track I don't like on an otherwise excellent album. And that is my honest opinion.
Those who criticise  Hot Space should really give it another listen, There are some great songs on Hot Space, especially Put Out the Fire, Back Chat, Life is Real, Las Palabras De Amor  and Cool Cat
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 10:37
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

How dare you disrespect the best song off the album.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 19:12
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I'd say half the songs on 70's Genesis albums. LOL and this answer serves for both polls.

They are top albums.. but simply aren't very good albums for half the time the music is f**king great.. the other half is a frickin snooze fest.
Actually, I agree in part. The Battle of Epping Forest on SEbtP and the second half of the Lamb album detract from the whole. As I have said before, The Lamb has the greatest single record Genesis released; unfortunately, it's a double album.Wink

Again, funny how tastes can differ so! To my ears and mind The Lamb is one of the most perfect albums of music with "The Cage" and the title song being the low points. (And those aren't very low!) Sides 3 and 4 are nearly flawless, to me, sauf perhaps Colony of Slipperman and It. Why are we different? Because we play with the illusions of subjectivity and separation . . .

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 19:26
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Actually, I agree in part. The Battle of Epping Forest on SEbtP and the second half of the Lamb album detract from the whole. As I have said before, The Lamb has the greatest single record Genesis released; unfortunately, it's a double album.Wink
 Why are we different? Because we play with the illusions of subjectivity and separation . . .
No, I am actually not that deep. I just think the songs suck.LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 21:46
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

Yeah, On the Run is for me the weakest song on the album... if you can even call it a song. Though I'm not too fond of Money either. However, as a whole, I do love Dark Side of the Moon, and On the Run plays a part on the album, so that I don't think the album would work as well without it. I think you must consider that song as part of the whole and not as a separate song.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>