Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRESULTS!! - Ultimate PA Album List 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 21:04
Im a big fan of Mr. Conor Fynes. Hands down my favourite reviewer on P.A. Wud hav been gr8 to see his top 200 list. Lots of metal i bet.
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 23:09
So we are left with: 
CTTE
Fragile
SEBTP (burn)
Dark Side
Animals
Wish
Court
Larks
Thick

What other am I missing?
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 23:22
^ITCOTCK
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2016 at 23:24
^already said it. Between Wish and Larks
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 00:28
I have a feeling that WYWH will take the cake.
Out of the the ones that r left i personally wud like to see anyone among SEbTP/Court/Larks/Red take the top spot.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 05:40
Originally posted by addictedtoprog addictedtoprog wrote:

Im a big fan of Mr. Conor Fynes. Hands down my favourite reviewer on P.A. Wud hav been gr8 to see his top 200 list. Lots of metal i bet.

It would have been great to see Conor get himself involved, at the very least I know I wouldn't have been the only one voting for Fen then.

As for the top spot, I could see Animals taking it, I remember seeing it appear high up on a lot of lists.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 07:09
I think it will be CTTE but it's possible that WYWH will be the top.

Oddly, CTTE was my lowest rated of Yes' "big 6" run of albums. I think I just wore it out in the 1970s and now would rather listen to the others.  Not that it's not a brilliant album, because it sure as hell is.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 09:31
Can someone please tell me what the other album is? I can't figure it out.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 10:12
Abbey Road?
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 10:24
Woah. That's a shocker tbh.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 10:24
And you're definetly right. I just went through all the albums and it wasn't present.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 10:56
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by addictedtoprog addictedtoprog wrote:

It would have been great to see Conor get himself involved, at the very least I know I wouldn't have been the only one voting for Fen then.

As for the top spot, I could see Animals taking it, I remember seeing it appear high up on a lot of lists.

Conor has a great top 50 of 2015 list on progsphere 
(I might also love it because I'm on it)
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 11:07
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Abbey Road?

I was thinking either Abbey Road or Sergeant Pepper.  we'll have to wait and see.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 13:06
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

I'd love this. Usually, when Pink Floyd albums are ranked, I see Animals trailing behind DSOM and WYWH but from the first days of my prog interest and knowing these three, without a shadow of a doubt Animals was best for me by some distance. I know I'm not alone with this so I hope it will shine this time, for once.
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 17:34
Kicking off the top 10...

10. The Beatles – Abbey Road

1861 pts            14 votes                                                11

(#4 floflo79, #7 RoeDent, #9 zravkapt)

“Despite the growth apart they were experiencing and bizarre legends that haunt this release, it shows a band at the height of their powers, modern but firmly rooted in the rock experience that came before them… the whole feeling of the album is, ironically, charged with positivism and gleaming with electrical energy.  It is a flawless testament to four young guys with good souls and a gift for rock 'n roll the world is unlikely to see again, and it was an inestimable evolutionary moment for rock.” - Atavachron

“I think Revolver has better songs but Abbey Road is far more consistent… The so-called Long Medley is fantastic and a precursor to the beloved epics of prog… "Come Together" has some of Lennon's best lyrics, Abbey Road also has some of [Ringo’s] best drumming,  "Here Comes The Sun" is the best song George did while a Beatle… If this was a plain vanilla rock site, this would get 5 stars from me.” – zravkapt (#9)

Edited by Kazza3 - February 04 2016 at 17:36
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 18:03

9. Yes - Fragile

1882 pts            15 votes                                                1

(#5 justin4950834-2, #6 emigre80)

“It's difficult to explain what makes "Fragile" so effective; suffice to say that where "The Yes Album" told tales of faraway places, "Fragile" takes you there. It is an oddly effective balancing act between powerful epics and solo showcases… the pummelling introduction to "Heart of the Sunrise", walks between the sublime and the scalding in ways that make "Perpetual Change" look clumsy by comparison… "Fragile" conjures sonic maelstroms, employs artfully conceived arrangements that defy deconstruction, rests on the aeries of Olympus, and plants the flag of progressive rock at its highest point to date.” - daveconn

“I devised an analogy that compares the first 3 classic Yes albums to the movie Rocky; "Fragile" is the intermediary training montage... "Mood For A Day" is Steve Howe sparring with the flank of beef, "The Fish" is Chris Squire's one-armed push-ups in the gym, "We Have Heaven" is Jon Anderson jogging through the industrial yards. And of course, "Roundabout" and "Heart of The Sunrise" are the triumphant scene where Rick Wakeman runs up the steps with the sun rising over Philadelphia and the city's streets following after him; cathartic, spiritual and iconic works of prog… the pieces were falling in place for the glory of “Close to the Edge” to materialise” – Magnum Vaeltaja  (#23)

Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 18:32

8. Jethro Tull – Thick as a Brick

1979 pts            16 votes                                                5

(#2 infernalfrog, #3 sublime220, #8 justin4950834-2, #9 twseel)

“The various themes and melodies, arranged as a single, album-long suite, are brilliant, and insinuate their way into the pleasure-center of your brain, n'er to depart… the inclusion here of so much Hammond organ really fleshes out the sound, and gives this effort a classic Prog feel. Season that with generous dollops of workmanlike fiddle from the multi-talented Mr. Anderson, and you've got a delectable auditory stew -- a feast for the ears of epic proportions. That's not all: I also think the lyrics are brilliant -- some of the best Anderson has ever penned… a must!” - Peter

“It brings all important factors from previous prog albums in an extreme form. The unique thing is that it is balanced. It doesn't just throw around ideas, the different parts connect very naturally, something is extremely difficult with its progressive structures. That's the reason that even a sophisticated pop fan could like this as an album… If anyone wants to know the definition of progressive rock, this is the first thing to listen.” – twseel (#9)

Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 19:02

7. King Crimson – In the Court of the Crimson King

2096 pts            17 votes                                                2

(#1 Magnum Vaeltaja, #3 justin4950834-2, #8 infernalfrog, #9 ten years after)

“God listened "In the Court of the Crimson King" and saw that it was good. God divided Progressive Rock from the rest of the music… The great achievement of KING CRIMSON is that in their debut release they managed to create an album that has 5 absolutely different songs that show 5 different aspects of prog rock: aggression, calm, darkness, fusion and the closer that blends all this aspects and more in an 9:22 minutes track.” – Ivan Melgar M

“A masterpiece of every sense of the term. Innovative, iconic, emotive, virtuosic, memorable, there isn't much that King Crimson's debut can't lay claim to. Side one of the album is the emotional side, featuring three songs that each distinctly correspond to emotions, each different yet unified under the underlying theme of desperation… Side two is the more intellectual side of the album, more cryptic lyrically and leaving more to the listener's interpretation to get their meaning across… Five stars for five stunning opuses that all contribute their own unique tones and mood while still weaving together a unified tapestry of music that never tires after all these years” – Magnum Vaeltaja (#1)

emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 19:09
Abbey Road, I knew it.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 19:31
Keep 'em coming. I'm ready to vomit all over those wretched Pink Floyd albums

Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>