FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHeavily replaced/triggered drums VS Natural

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavily replaced/triggered drums VS Natural
    Posted: January 31 2016 at 16:13
Just wondering what everyone thinks of heavily replaced drums on modern (mainly metal) albums? 

From an engineering standpoint, I can understand that you don't always get the most consistent performance from some drummers. But I still think it's worth it to strive to go as organic as possible. 

Anybody have any first hand experiences with replacing/organic drum tracks?  
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 17:05
I've not done it myself but I know other Producer/Engineers that do. Most attach triggers to the drum heads and record them along with the acoustic kit so they can fiddle with and mix in the electronic drums to strengthen the main kit in post. If they were going to 'replace' drums they may as well just record electronic drums straight to the tracks and then they have total freedom to edit, replace or select sounds for every part played.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 18:21
I wonder if anyone actually records the performance of a cut anymore.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 18:43
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I wonder if anyone actually records the performance of a cut anymore.

Are you talking about live tracking? Because, yeah, people still do that.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 18:48
No I mean when someone records a vocal or instrument part form start to finish without cutting-in anything afterward and, assuming it sounds right, keeps that take.   A real performance.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 23:47
Here I go again : Tomas Haake (Meshuggah) created his computer triggered 'drumkit from Hell' from his own playing for the Catch 33 album. It sounds like his 'regular' playing ; if you didn't know, you couldn't tell. Today's technology is amazing. And this is but 1 example.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 23:59

No I mean when someone records a vocal or instrument part form start to finish without cutting-in anything afterward and, assuming it sounds right, keeps that take.   A real performance.

Well, yeah. First of all, almost all jazz is a single performance. But, even in other genres, particularly if the performance is recorded analog. And when live-tracking anything as well. I mean, cutting and punching in are conveniences, but not everyone uses it all the time. Just depends on who you are and what your preference is.

Edited by Polymorphia - January 31 2016 at 23:59
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2016 at 00:02
And on the actual topic, I don't mind it with bass drum or with the acoustic kit mixed in, but most triggered drum kits I've heard I'm not really crazy about. That said, it could have something to do with the sounds being used, and the amount of compression some engineers pile on.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2016 at 00:27
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I mean, cutting and punching in are conveniences, but not everyone uses it all the time. Just depends on who you are and what your preference is.

Good point, though I imagine it could become tempting, even addictive to start correcting one or two small things in otherwise clean takes.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2016 at 11:39

I mean, cutting and punching in are conveniences, but not everyone uses it all the time. Just depends on who you are and what your preference is.

Good point, though I imagine it could become tempting, even addictive to start correcting one or two small things in otherwise clean takes.

I'd not call it addictive, but it can definitely be a crutch for some. I don't tend to do much editing except in demos to be heard by myself or bandmates, mainly for structure. I might delete parts or repeat parts, etc. just to get a more cohesive songform. I do punch in, but I mostly prefer to keep it all in one take, particularly because managing all the takes can be a hassle and I'm not very organized.

Edited by Polymorphia - February 01 2016 at 12:19
TheBean13 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2016 at 23:12

I always try to keep the edits and punch-ins to a minimum. I've definitely had recording sessions where I haven't been as prepared, and thus had to do many more cuts(i've since learnt, preparation is key to efficient sessions) I always find organic is better(also on the topic of heavily replaced drums vs natural; to me, it just sounds more dynamic) Even if a majority of listeners can't tell when there's been an edit, it just feels so much better knowing the track has little to no edits and punch ins. Wink

It definitely can be addicting to go for 'clinical perfection.' Suppose it comes down to the style of production. Over-polishing vs A little more raw. 
 Post Reply Post Reply