Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What are you Listening to Right now ?  Febus XVII
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat are you Listening to Right now ? Febus XVII

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 439440441442443 501>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 05:03
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 05:20
^ Awesome-sauce
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 05:22
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Awesome-sauce

Adding this term to my dictionary. LOL
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 05:35
I feel bad just by looking at Still Life's cover Disapprove

Now:

Preparation for the concert tomorrow Cool
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 05:41
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I feel bad just by looking at Still Life's cover Disapprove

What, you don't like it? Shocked
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 05:49
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

It's torture to me, but I still forced myself to listen to the whole thing maybe 6 times, hoping to like it. Hammill never stops singing and I hate his voice Dead I got rid of my vinyl copy a few weeks ago and it no longer haunts me.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 06:01

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

It's torture to me, but I still forced myself to listen to the whole thing maybe 6 times, hoping to like it. Hammill never stops singing and I hate his voice Dead I got rid of my vinyl copy a few weeks ago and it no longer haunts me.

I don't get how one can not like Hammill's voice. I absolutely love it and it has never even seemed unpleasant to me.Confused
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 06:06
^ Well, I don't get how one doesn't like Italian vocalists Tongue I don't like people yelling at me and Hammill does that most of the time Ermm
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 06:08

^ Well, I don't get how one doesn't like Italian vocalists Tongue I don't like people yelling at me and Hammill does that most of the time Ermm

You are simply more sensitive than I am and so the romantic quality of the Italian vocalists gets you. TongueWink

But than on the other hand Hammil is pretty romantic too... Oh well, I think I put the sentence above nicely.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 06:17
^ Yes, I really like more gentle vocals, not only on RPI but also Psych Rock. I can enjoy more aggressive vocals though as long as it has plenty of instrumental parts (that applies to vocals in general, even RPI). I'd probably like Still Life if it had half the number of verses. I was frightened only by looking at the album's lyrics sheet Confused
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 06:21
^ No, Hammill is not easily liked. I must confess, it took a lot of dope and persistence for me to 'acquire the taste' for PH. Then it clicked, especially with Chameleon In The Shadow Of The Night. Then I knew this guy stood for something !! Must've been around 1989/90 for me. Probs the greatest singer/composer of all time, certainly my favourite, and I got to talk with him twice when he gigged in Melbourne, June 1997. Best weekend of my life !

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 01 2016 at 06:22
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 06:21
Ha, I'm with you, Sam, Hammill is one of the most histrionic, unbearable and overwrought vocalists in prog. He ruins all the cool music going on behind him by the rest of the band. I think `Pawn Hearts' is probably the most interesting of their classic discs. I have all their classic era discs, but there's not one I can fully listen to all the way through without cringing. I also realised recently I've had the remastered CD edition of `The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome' for years and never bothered listening to it.

Ha, I think we all have those controversial dislikes towards particular much-loved classic era prog bands that fly in the face of popular opinion!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 06:25
^ For me "Godbluff" is the most bearable. On "Pawn Hearts" I don't even like the music behind him.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 06:29
Whoooo, Pawn Hearts is just WONDERFUL. One of the most unique recordings in Prog history (according to me, but my opinion means Jack-squat......)
......screw all these typos....f**ken spellcheck (must've failed year 1......)

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 01 2016 at 06:30
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 06:29
For me Pawn Hearts is the top of Van Der Graaf Generator's excellence. And especially the music. Listening to it feels like watching an oustanding movie, for me.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 06:30
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Whoooo, Paen Hearts is just WONDERFUL. One of the most unique recordings in Prog history (according to me, but my opinion means Jack-squat......)

Haha, perfect timing with our opinions, Tom. LOLWink
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 06:30
Hey Tom, I just got an alert on my Facebook about an upcoming Brisbane Record Fair next weekend, July 9th, the guy with all the Zappa LP's from the Box Hill Fair is going to be there. The address is:

137 Boundary St, 125 Boundary St, 56 Russell St, Brisbane, Australia 4101
10am-4pm.

The site describes it as the following: "Held on the second Saturday of every month and in 2 different venues THE BOUNDARY HOTEL & THE RUMPUS ROOM, the Brisbane Record Fair is a unique concept for Brisbane. Situated in the wonderful West End precinct, and best of all it's absolutely FREE ENTRY."

If that means anything, I'm not sure what the three streets there means, I guess it runs alongside all of them. Not sure how close Brisbane actually is to you either!

That vendor above has also just come back from a tour of the States and he's apparently picked up over 2000 new vinyl in the last few weeks! Hopefully he'll bring some of that to the upcoming Box Hill Fair in about five weeks!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 01 2016 at 06:31
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 06:36
"Pawn Hearts" always seemed to me like a huge mess instrumentaly, although one might say it's part of the appeal. I heard quite a few times, it's just not for me.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 06:40
When I spin Meshuggah, my Dad (who just turned 80) says, what's the point of singing like this rah-rah headbanger, you can't understand him. When I spin VDGG, he knows straight away it's Hammill. And he says 'this guy is unstable, worse than that roaring sh*t you listen to'. Even my sis (who loathes tech-death) says 'I'd rather you play Meshuggah than Hammill'. Says a lot about dear Pete    My dear Mother, bless her heart, always said PH is a 'tortured soul - sings like he is in pain.....'
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 06:42
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Hey Tom, I just got an alert on my Facebook about an upcoming Brisbane Record Fair next weekend, July 9th, the guy with all the Zappa LP's from the Box Hill Fair is going to be there. The address is:

137 Boundary St, 125 Boundary St, 56 Russell St, Brisbane, Australia 4101
10am-4pm.

The site describes it as the following: "Held on the second Saturday of every month and in 2 different venues THE BOUNDARY HOTEL & THE RUMPUS ROOM, the Brisbane Record Fair is a unique concept for Brisbane. Situated in the wonderful West End precinct, and best of all it's absolutely FREE ENTRY."

If that means anything, I'm not sure what the three streets there means, I guess it runs alongside all of them. Not sure how close Brisbane actually is to you either!

That vendor above has also just come back from a tour of the States and he's apparently picked up over 2000 new vinyl in the last few weeks! Hopefully he'll bring some of that to the upcoming Box Hill Fair in about five weeks!
Bugger, I'll be in Fiji !!
Oh, Brissie is about an hour from home. I go to the Maroochydore fair when it's on.

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 01 2016 at 06:44
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 439440441442443 501>