Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgQuébec

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 18:04
Originally posted by FragileKings FragileKings wrote:

Keneth, it was an article on the Net.
Here it is plus one more I found.

Alan Rhodes

canada.com

cool!  It mentioned Shawn Phillips as well!  it also quotes Juan Rodriguez who was one of the authors of the 1975 article I clipped, and the mention of the organ dominated sounds resonating with people who spent their youth in the Catholic church.

Thanks for posting!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 20:54
of course, this is my favorite quote

3. Supertramp. Some would quibble with the inclusion of this British pop outfit in the progressive category, but the band was an essential ingredient of the city's arty musical landscape in the late '70's. The songs have not aged well, though, and no one should have to hear Dreamer ever again.

yeah
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 03:57
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Love the Quebéc scene and the work ProgQuebec has been doing reissuing some. Hope they do June Wallack soon. 

I'm maybe pessimistic, but Stephen Takashi has more or less given up hope to release more prog gems from La Belle Province, given the context of diminishing sales

He's reconverted in organizing prog concerts

Edited by Sean Trane - February 05 2016 at 03:58
FragileKings View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 04:40
I take back what I said about Maneige. I just ordered "Ni Vent Ni Nouvelle".
I used to be a fan of particular bands like Rush, Yes, and Deep Purple. Now I travel the Proglands, exploring a little bit of everything. I have become a Prog Voyager.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 04:44
I only know Harmonium and Miriodor Embarrassed
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 04:45
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

of course, this is my favorite quote

<span style="font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; text-align: justify; color: rgb26, 26, 26; : rgb153, 153, 153;">3.</span><b style="font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; text-align: justify; color: rgb26, 26, 26; : rgb153, 153, 153;"> Supertramp<span style="font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; text-align: justify; color: rgb26, 26, 26; : rgb153, 153, 153;">. Some would quibble with the inclusion of this British pop outfit in the progressive category, but the band was an essential ingredient of the city's arty musical landscape in the late '70's. The songs have not aged well, though, and no one should have to hear Dreamer ever again.</span>
<span style="font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; text-align: justify; color: rgb26, 26, 26; : rgb153, 153, 153;">
</span>
<span style="font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: normal; text-align: justify; color: rgb26, 26, 26; : rgb153, 153, 153;">yeah</span>

I have avoided Supertramp all these years exactly because of Dreamer. But I did always like The Logical Song. Recently I started reading PA reviews of Supertramp and I've decided at last to give them a chance later this year.
I used to be a fan of particular bands like Rush, Yes, and Deep Purple. Now I travel the Proglands, exploring a little bit of everything. I have become a Prog Voyager.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 04:47
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Love the Quebéc scene and the work ProgQuebec has been doing reissuing some. Hope they do June Wallack soon. 

I'm maybe pessimistic, but Stephen Takashi has more or less given up hope to release more prog gems from La Belle Province, given the context of diminishing sales

He's reconverted in organizing prog concerts

That would be a shame. Then I'm glad I caught on in time to order at least some of the old gems before they become high-priced rarities.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 04:48
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I only know Harmonium and Miriodor Embarrassed

Then now's a great time to check out some other great music while it's still available, Meltdowner.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 04:53
^ It's a really big list. What do you recommend?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 05:10
That depends on your taste. I like the prog ROCK (distorted guitars, Hammond organ) of Morse Code. Vos Voisins, Offenbach, and Pollen also rock out often enough but keep some piano and acoustic handy. Et Cetera is said the be the French Canadian incarnation of Gentle Giant.

Octobre and Maneige are more jazzy and instrumental.
L'Orchestre Sympathique is experimental and a bit over my head.
Early Dionysos more psychedelic.
Conventum very acoustic with violin.
Contraction maybe like Maneige and Octobre but with vocals I think.
Beau Dommage and Garolou are more song oriented and have some nice melodies but strike me as less proggy, based on what I've heard.

That's as far as I've come so far. You can find all these bands on YouTube.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 05:20
Maneige's song Les Porches de Notre Dame is maybe the most beautiful thing ever put on record.

Edited by Kotro - February 05 2016 at 05:21
Bigger on the inside.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 05:29

<b style="line-height: 18.2px;">Maneige<span style="line-height: 18.2px;">'s song </span><i style="line-height: 18.2px;">Les Porches de Notre Dame<span style="line-height: 18.2px;"> is maybe the most beautiful thing ever put on record.</span>

Argh! So now I need to look deeper into this one, too?
Finding a rich vein of music is expensive. But I will listen! Thank you!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 05:36
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm listening to Morse Code's "La Marche Des Hommes" right now. Great music so far Clap I'll check Maneige next, I can't ignore that comment Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 06:04
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm listening to Morse Code's "La Marche Des Hommes" right now. Great music so far Clap I'll check Maneige next, I can't ignore that comment Smile

Cool. I hope you find something you really like, Meltdowner.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 06:47
Miriodor. Enough said. One of the few Avant bands that appeal to more "conservative" prog fans, and one of the best live outfits I've had the pleasure to see (twice). Moreover, a great bunch of guys, very friendly and very dedicated to their music. In my view, Avanti! (2009) is one of the top 10 albums released since the beginning of the 21st century.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 06:52

I wouldn't call Octobre instrumental... Pierre Flynn's vocals are all over the place.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 07:04
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I wouldn't call Octobre instrumental... Pierre Flynn's vocals are all over the place.

I've probably got the confused with Contraction or somebody else. I've checked out nearly a dozen bands in two days.
Thanks for the clarification!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 07:05
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Miriodor. Enough said. One of the few Avant bands that appeal to more "conservative" prog fans, and one of the best live outfits I've had the pleasure to see (twice). Moreover, a great bunch of guys, very friendly and very dedicated to their music. In my view, Avanti! (2009) is one of the top 10 albums released since the beginning of the 21st century.

ProgQuebec says great things about them, too. Now my curiosity is piqued.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 07:30
I love the Quebec prog scene and love all the bands you guys mentioned. I don't want to repeat bands that were already mentioned so I'll just add a few that weren't talked about.

Pangee - Instrumental prog one shot from 95', this is great stuff very Crimson influenced.

The Box - They've been around since the 80's but you should really check their latest 2009 D'Apres Le Horla De Maupassant album, beautiful beautiful Crossover prog, not poppy at all and quite unique IMO.

Michel Madore - This is a great addition to your collection if like your prog on the psychedelic side.

Edited by Sagichim - February 05 2016 at 07:33
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 08:39

Maneige's song Les Porches de Notre Dame is maybe the most beautiful thing ever put on record.

yes, the album "Les Porches" is a must
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>