Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWilliam Blake's influence on progressive rocl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2016 at 23:48
This is an outrage, this slight from the BBC.  The Queen mother herself should be written about this.  
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 03:37
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ Interesting.

Gordon Giltrap's album Visionary (he is listed in PA under Prog Related but commonly the album is listed as Prog) is inspired by William Blake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRpwZBWadr8

Gordon Giltrap was always considered a progressive rock musician in the 70s. Visionary, Perilous Journey, Fear of the Dark and The Peacock's Party are about as progressive as you can get.

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 04:10
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Wow...Carnenera wasn't easy to find....
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 05:56
The covers of "Death Walks Behind You" by Atomic Rooster and "Another Fine Tune You've Got Me Into" by Gilgamesh feature pictures by William Blake.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 06:46
There is a fairly good summary of Blake's influences in music on Wikipedia, many of which have already been mentioned in this thread.

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 07:02
I was - seriously - going to do a version of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I got a quarter of the way through it and realised that the work involved was going to be pretty immense. ;-)

Edited by Davesax1965 - February 17 2016 at 07:05

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 08:31
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

I was - seriously - going to do a version of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I got a quarter of the way through it and realised that the work involved was going to be pretty immense. ;-)

David Bedford did one ... but I did not exactly enjoy the narration at all.

All in all, a thread like this is scary ... there is a lot of literature that influenced "progressive anything" and to think that Blake did, and Shelley and Byron did not, or Dumas, or Poe, or Voltaire, or Shakespeare, or Milton, or Goethe ... an endless list ... that in the end, I feel like we're just picking one little slice of life in the middle of 4000 years, and that this peculiar slice was more important and valuable than the rest ... and that's not true ... the whole and complete life, got us to this point ... not that slice!

Blake is no more an influence than Shakespeare! Or the Bible for that matter (which is not really a book by an author, but a very bad translation and re-translation over 2000 years!)
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 12:51
Il Trono dei Ricordi
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 15:55
Rime of the ancient Mariner is by Samuel Coleridge.. and along with 'Song of Hiawatha by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow is a very beautiful and long Poem..

I don't think this thread is 'scary'.. I'm not suggesting that we look at anything in isolation.. all or any literary influences can be explored and its just an idea or suggestion for a thread.. everyone is entitled to their view.. I suggested Blake as he is a personal favourite of mine and an artist that has had a considerable and subtle influences on culture, whether mainstream or alternative(s).

I do think its 'a bad show' that Auntie Beeb resolutely ignores the Progressive rock era, particularly in their arts programmes, except when there is a death that they cannot avoid mentioning. But then I don't listen to the radio all the time and no doubt others will prove me wrong (which is fine!)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 16:05
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

David Bedford did one ... but I did not exactly enjoy the narration at all.

All in all, a thread like this is scary ... there is a lot of literature that influenced "progressive anything" and to think that Blake did, and Shelley and Byron did not, or Dumas, or Poe, or Voltaire, or Shakespeare, or Milton, or Goethe ... an endless list ... that in the end, I feel like we're just picking one little slice of life in the middle of 4000 years, and that this peculiar slice was more important and valuable than the rest ... and that's not true ... the whole and complete life, got us to this point ... not that slice!

Blake is no more an influence than Shakespeare! Or the Bible for that matter (which is not really a book by an author, but a very bad translation and re-translation over 2000 years!)

You're entitled to your view my friend but I'm not suggesting anything, and I'm not a literary snob but I (personally) feel a personal connection with Blake's Art and poetry. You are perfectly entitled to come up with your own thread ideas but it feels a bit small minded to try a put a dampner on someone's ideas (do you do this often?) to try and prove some form of intellectual superiority?   

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 16:19
Speaking of romantic poems, Thomas Gray's "Elegy written in a Country Churchyard" was put in music by Rick Wakeman on his album "Cost Of Living".
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 16:24
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

This is an outrage, this slight from the BBC.  The Queen mother herself should be written about this.  

LOL I would put quill to parchment right away... oh dear, the Queen mother departed this mortal realm a few years backWink perhaps i'll send it to her grandson who i'm sure will appreciate my outrage!!LOL

AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 21:33

Not an expert on Blake by any stretch, but…

There was also Song of Innocence by Alan White, from his 1976 solo Ramshackled, joined by Anderson and Howe.

Progressive rocl?  Embarrassed

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 08:48
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

a literary snob but I (personally) feel a personal connection with Blake's Art and poetry. You are perfectly entitled to come up with your own thread ideas but it feels a bit small minded to try a put a dampner on someone's ideas (do you do this often?) to try and prove some form of intellectual superiority?   

So, because there are other writers, and I happen to mention them ... I'm the snob?

Very sad state of affairs, when you deny someone/anyone what they know/understand, because you have not found out as yet, via schooling, or age, that there are hundreds, thousands, and more ... that inspired rock music  ... and I find it weird that someone will state that Blake influenced someone, and in reading one of the books written ... wow ... it's Baudelaire, not Blake!

Influences are too many to be clear ... if I tell you that Burroughs influenced Peter Gabriel, you will still say the same thing, because you can not see the connection. Likewise, if I tell you that Burroughs also influenced Soft Machine and Steely Dan, you have no idea how or why ... it's easier to name someone else a snob, instead of show a little more care about learning which the original progsters were interested in, but the many fans now are not?

Edited by moshkito - February 18 2016 at 08:54
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 09:26
^ You always know what we know, are you supernatural?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 13:09
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

a literary snob but I (personally) feel a personal connection with Blake's Art and poetry. You are perfectly entitled to come up with your own thread ideas but it feels a bit small minded to try a put a dampner on someone's ideas (do you do this often?) to try and prove some form of intellectual superiority?   

So, because there are other writers, and I happen to mention them ... I'm the snob?

Very sad state of affairs, when you deny someone/anyone what they know/understand, because you have not found out as yet, via schooling, or age, that there are hundreds, thousands, and more ... that inspired rock music  ... and I find it weird that someone will state that Blake influenced someone, and in reading one of the books written ... wow ... it's Baudelaire, not Blake!

Influences are too many to be clear ... if I tell you that Burroughs influenced Peter Gabriel, you will still say the same thing, because you can not see the connection. Likewise, if I tell you that Burroughs also influenced Soft Machine and Steely Dan, you have no idea how or why ... it's easier to name someone else a snob, instead of show a little more care about learning which the original progsters were interested in, but the many fans now are not?

I notice you have 'selectively' quoted me.. I said 'I am not a literary snob'.. I did not say that you were. But as it happens you are now being completely rude to me by assuming I don't have the schooling or 'age' (experience) to understand poets and writers or understanding anything about the art influences of progressive rock.. all because of a topic of a thread which is just for fun, a way of joining in... how very sad you are to try and squash someone's attempt to participate.. if people are not interested in my thread then they wont reply and it will soon run its course; democracy not your opinion of your self importance and superiority will bring it to its conclusion!Angry

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 13:17
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

Not an expert on Blake by any stretch, but…

There was also Song of Innocence by Alan White, from his 1976 solo Ramshackled, joined by Anderson and Howe.

Progressive rocl?  Embarrassed

LOL I should be embarrassed, K is right by L on the keyboard and I'm afraid that a shaky hand and an a total inability to check what ive written before pressing 'post' are to blameEmbarrassed..  

Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 13:54
Blake is - to me - the pinnacle of metaphysical poetry; more specifically, Blake is the pinnacle of English metaphysical poetry.  Metaphysics and Jolly Old England - two topics loved by proggers, eh?

Spring - Songs of Innocence on Alan White's Ramshackled features Jon on vocals and is one of my favorite Blake poems extrapolated by prog.  Also, check out David Axelrod's Blake album "Songs of Innocence".....better yet, check out ANY Axelrod.....fun stuff.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 14:25
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

My favourite band, Art Zoyd have an album called Le Mariage du Ciel et de l'Enfer. It's the score for a ballet based on William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell.
And there's of course Ulver's album with themes from the same book.

Damn, how did I forget one of my favourite albums of all times???

A gem of experimental music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 14:34
Clap I couldn't agree more! I did occur to me that i'm being a bit parochial as much of Blakes poetry references and/ or springs from that eternal well of 'Englishness' but then it does also have a very universal appeal.. It is his interpretation of the concept of 'Albion' as an alternative state of being, rooted in history and ancient legend but also addressing the social issues of his time that really interests me and how it has, in turn, been referenced through the art, music and writing of the counter-culture of the 1960's, 70's and beyond. As I have been reminded by a 'learned' contributor to this site, he was not in isolation and there are many, many numerous poets, writers and progressive thinkers from the late 18th through the 19th centaury, all as equally worthy (or not..) of the title of this thread who have influenced art and music in the 20th and 21st centaury.

Many excellent suggestions have been made; The Gordon Giltrap lp 'Visionary', The David Axelrod lps are superb! and Grave new world by the Strawbs have all had and outing on the turntable. 

Thanks everyone for participating! Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>