FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLate Bloomers/Second Wind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2016 at 10:17
Hi,

If there is a single band, that is still doing some experimental stuff and doing it right, and well, it would be DJAM KARET ... and "The Trip" is fantaboulous and stands out ... it takes its time to develop and to get done, and this is something that band knows how to do, and over 30 years later ... is still doing it. I have not located many bands out there, that can do this kind of thing ... well ... and beautifully so.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 18:33
I think IQ and Galahad are perfect examples. Both groups have become much stronger.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 19:12
Big Big Train was around for like a hundred years before they started making good albums.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 12:31
I thought Peter Gabriel's New Blood albums and tour were fantastic.....breathing life into old classics by reimagining them.  Of course, at the shows people were filing out after the first few numbers 'cause they knew Peter hadn't brought the Sledgehammer video with him.  This is the fly in the ointment for older artists....if they don't produce a replica of their hit records, then the old fan base dwindles and those who'd have been introduced to their music via radio or video won't hear/see 'cause the album sinks into obscurity so fast. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 12:08
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

I thought Peter Gabriel's New Blood albums and tour were fantastic.....breathing life into old classics by reimagining them.

I agree, I love that album and the Live Blood album.. Scratch My Back was good too. Peter's vocals still sound amazing. So much emotion in his voice. And I love the orchestral arrangements. Great to see people in their sixties still making an effort to make real music instead of just going through the motions.
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 12:18
Richard Pinhas started in the seventies (with Heldon) but in my opinion he has released some of his best work in the last decade. Beautiful ambient guitar noise that scrubs your brain clean.

Edited by King Only - June 16 2016 at 12:19
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 12:33
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Big Big Train was around for like a hundred years before they started making good albums.

Oh..at least a hundred years....

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 12:54
I'd give Van der Graaf Generator credit for a major second wind. Their comeback was really tentative at first--Present had a couple of great songs and a whole lot of what can best be described as dicking around. But since then they've gotten the old fire back, even with the sad departure of Jaxon, and have been putting out some ripping stuff. Looking forward to their new one.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 13:31
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Big Big Train was around for like a hundred years before they started making good Genesis albums.

Fixed that for ya
I even prefer them to The Watch.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 13:36
Originally posted by Michael P. Dawson Michael P. Dawson wrote:

I'd give Van der Graaf Generator credit for a major second wind. Their comeback was really tentative at first--Present had a couple of great songs and a whole lot of what can best be described as dicking around. But since then they've gotten the old fire back, even with the sad departure of Jaxon, and have been putting out some ripping stuff. Looking forward to their new one.

I prefer ALT to anything else they've done since their reformation, but I gather I'm on my own there

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 13:41
Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

Richard Pinhas started in the seventies (with Heldon) but in my opinion he has released some of his best work in the last decade. Beautiful ambient guitar noise that scrubs your brain clean.

I have one of his collabs with Merzbow entitled Rhizome and I wholeheartedly agree with you. Great fizzy sodapop like music with a strong whiff of ambient gone violent...or something to that effect. I think it's his best solo thang yet, but it's got nothing on Heldon imo. I still prefer Stand By, Agneta Nilsson, IV and Interface.

- Douglas Adams
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2016 at 18:57
If Phideaux crushes it with "Infernal",  will that count?

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2016 at 09:15
I find Art Zoyd stunningly stubborn in evolving their sound including injecting new ideas. There are many dinosaur bands to which my reaction about a new release will be "not interested", but I'm as curious and excited about any new Art Zoyd album/project as ever. It may help that they developed a distinctly "contemporary experimental music" identity rather than "rock music". This probably fits grannie-aged musicians more naturally than rock, which has more of a youth feeling to it and may fade more easily. It also gives them lots of musical space to explore.

To some extent both Düülirium and VDGG's Alt go in this direction. Düülirium is interesting in this respect because I agree with both the opinions that this is fresh and enjoyable, but also that they could have tried harder; they didn't put much into the album and it shows. It therefore doesn't feel to me like a second bloom, rather like a one-off fun thing to do.
Alt also has something youthful to it, but wouldn't necessarily suggest that this is a direction they want to explore further. It's different from Düülirium in the sense that VDGG still seem to be continuously creative and active, whereas Düülirium seems casual.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2016 at 09:47
Radiohead's new one, A Moon Shaped Pool.  I have listened to it more than a dozen times already, partly because I am hooked LOL and partly to make sure I am not overestimating how good it is.  But it is, unbelievably good.  While I sort of liked Hail to the Thief/In Rainbows, I hoped for something more substantial and Radiohead have delivered that with this album.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12