Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The most beautiful formula in mathematics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most beautiful formula in mathematics
    Posted: February 21 2016 at 07:28
I was always interested in mathematics and always fascinated by this formula:

What is so fascinating about this number? Well, first of all these are the five most important numbers in mathematics, and they all appear exactly once.

1: The number all counting is based on; also the multiplicative identity. without 1 there would be no mathematics at all.

0: The number which allows us to use a place-value system for numbers in mathematics and also the additive identity. 1 and 0 are also actually the only digits needed in mathematics; the other digits we use in the decimal system are a mere luxury.

π: The ratio of a circle's circumference and his diameter. The most important number in geometry; it is ubiquitous there. It is an irrational and transcendental number whose first digits are 3.14159265358979...

e: The base of natural logarithm and the most important number in calculus; it is equally ubiquitous there as
π is in geometry. It is also an irrational and transcendental number whose first digits are 2.718281828459045...

i: The square root of -1. The base of the imaginary numbers, which together with the real numbers constitute the complex numbers. Extremely important in algebra; without it many algebraic equations could not be solved. And complex numbers open a whole new branch of mathematics.

But that's not all: The three most important mathematical operations (addition, multiplication and exponentiation; subtraction, division and root extraction are only the inverses) also appear exactly once.

And the most important relational operator, =, also appears exactly once.

But that's still not all. These five numbers also stand for five important concepts.

1 stands for the concept of unity.

0 stands for the concept of nothingness.

π stands for the concept of circularity.

e stands for the concept of growth and decay since growth and decay processes can be described using the exponential function with this number as basis.

i as an imaginary number stands for the concept of imagination.

So this formula actually reads: Take growth to the power of imagination and circularity and add unity to arrive at nothingness, whatever that means (and take this with a grain of salt).

But flip the two terms on each side of the equation sign and write the 1 first in the addition, and it makes a bit more sense: Out of nothingness come unity plus growth through the power of imagination and circularity. Now if you believe in a deity that uses evolution for creation this reads like the formula for world creation (again, take this with a grain of salt and a bit tongue in cheek; I am definitely not serious here).

In 1988 there was a poll of mathematicians around the world for the most beautiful formula in mathematics, and this formula got the most votes. And I think rightly so.

Edited by BaldFriede - February 24 2016 at 07:56

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 07:49
that is pretty heavy man...

ClapClap

giving you some McClappies for your post....making me stare at my monitor and drooling on my keyboard while remembering my college days and the beauty of that.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2016 at 12:44
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

e stands for the concept of growth and decay since growth and decay processes can be described using the exponential function with this number as basis.

Ugh. Please. Don't.

"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2016 at 13:10
I would say the Dirac equation.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2016 at 16:41
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The Dirac equation is physics, not mathematics.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2016 at 17:25
It is indeed physics, but the mathematical formulation may be described as staggeringly beautiful (if not as aesthetically elegant as Euler's Identity or a Chihuahua).
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2016 at 18:06
3,14 or PI

or Maxwell equation http://www.maxwells-equations.com/maxwells-equations.gif
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2016 at 03:26
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Ugh. Please. Don't.

"Why?"

"Because we should not use numbers as symbols".

"But we use symbols to denote these numbers in mathematics".

"Yes, but mathematics is just a formal system and does not pertain to reality at all".

"Oh? So all the mathematics used in natural sciences does not pertain to reality at all"?

"The mathematics used in natural sciences is used for quantitative description so we can make accurate predictions. But it is not the reality itself".

"Granted. But concepts play an important role in sciences".

"Yes, but we should not use symbols to represent concepts".

"Oh? But we use symbols to represent concepts in physics all the time. For example, c is the symbol for the speed of light. It stands for a certain number combined with a unit, 299792458 m/s. And speed certainly is a concept".

"But it is not a mythical concept like those you named, and mystic has no place in science".

"Oh? So waves, which are based on circularity, are a mythical concept? The growth of an organism is? Vacuum, which is based on nothingness, is? Complex systems, which are based on the idea of unity as a complex and systematic whole, are? And, last but certainly not least, human imagination is"?

I think I made it clear that my "mystical conclusion" was tongue in cheek. But to deny the fact that these numbers stand for concepts is nonsense, though I admit that i standing for imagination is a bit keen. But it was not I ho named the imaginary numbers.

Edited by BaldFriede - February 24 2016 at 03:28

Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Snob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2016 at 07:05

I was always interested in mathematics and always fascinated by this formula:

What is so fascinating about this number? Well, first of all these are the five most important numbers in mathematics, and they all appear exactly once.

1: The number all counting is based on; also the multiplicative identity. without 1 there would be no mathematics at all.

0: The number which allows us to use a place-value system for numbers in mathematics an also the additive identity. 1 and 0 are also actually the only digits needed in mathematics; the other digits we use in the decimal system are a mere luxury.

π: The ratio of a circle's circumference and his diameter. The most important number in geometry; it is ubiquitous there. It is an irrational and transcendental number whose first digits are 3.14159265358979...

e: The base of natural logarithm and the most important number in calculus; it is equally ubiquitous there as </span><span ="te"="">π is in geometry. It is also an irrational and transcendental number whose first digits are 2.718281828459045...

i: The square root of -1. The base of the imaginary numbers, which together with the real numbers constitute the complex numbers. Extremely important in algebra; without it many algebraic equations could not be solved. And complex numbers open a whole new branch of mathematics.

But that's not all: The three most important mathematical operations (addition, multiplication and exponentiation; subtraction, division and root extraction are only the inverses) also appear exactly once.

And the most important relational operator, =, also appears exactly once.

But that's still not all. These five numbers also stand for five important concepts.

</span><span ="te"="">π stands for the concept of circularity.

So this formula actually reads: Take growth to the power of imagination and circularity and add unity to arrive at nothingness, whatever that means (and take this with a grain of salt).

But flip the two terms on each side of the equation sign and write the 1 first in the addition, and it makes a bit more sense: Out of nothingness come unity plus growth through the power of imagination and circularity. Now if you believe in a deity that uses evolution for creation this reads like the formula for world creation (again, take this with a grain of salt and a bit tongue in cheek; I am definitely not serious here).

In 1988 there was a poll of mathematicians around the world for the most beautiful formula in mathematics, and this formula got the most votes. And I think rightly so.

That's beautiful actually. I love math and you just made me love you at the same time. Now my mind is going to wrapped around this all day. Of course, I'm looking at the formula and trying to apply a different metaphor to it. If I come up with one, I'll post it.

Edited by Prog Snob - February 24 2016 at 07:06
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 09:09

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The Dirac equation is physics, not mathematics.

No. I'm fairly certain it's math.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equality 7-2521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 09:13

"Oh? So waves, which are based on circularity, are a mythical concept? The growth of an organism is? Vacuum, which is based on nothingness, is? Complex systems, which are based on the idea of unity as a complex and systematic whole, are? And, last but certainly not least, human imagination is"?

I think I made it clear that my "mystical conclusion" was tongue in cheek. But to deny the fact that these numbers stand for concepts is nonsense, though I admit that i standing for imagination is a bit keen. But it was not I ho named the imaginary numbers.

What the hell are you talking about?

I was just saying your mysticism was extraneous and wrong.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 10:12
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

What the hell are you talking about?

I was just saying your mysticism was extraneous and wrong.

I will accept the "extraneous", but not the "wrong"

Edited by BaldJean - February 28 2016 at 10:14

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2016 at 02:24
I dont know much about Math but i like to be better at it, and its facinating how much importans Math is to both science and art, how much the beuty of both can be said to be liing in the elegant presission of Math, by that i hail Pythagoras as the one who understood the line between numbers, shapes and beauty.

i will therefor post this NOVA docu on Math
 Post Reply Post Reply