FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAmerican Politics the 2016 edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 146>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 13:15
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

^Isn't this the third or fourth cabinet position that has been slated with an individual that previously boasted about abolishing said department or agency? Perry couldn't even remember what DOE was called at one point. Madness.
Unfortunately, yes. Deregulate everything and lower the minimum wage with these super intellectuals that all think climate change is a hoax. Wonderful!   
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2016 at 04:22
Trump picked Rick Perry as head of the Dept. of Energy! This is rich. In the nominee debate in 2007, he couldn't even remember the name of this agency that he vowed to close. The famous "Opps!" remark followed. How sad is this? Confused
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2016 at 07:57
Many people after the election said "relax, it's not going to be as bad as you think".

They were right. Of course it's not going to be as bad. It's going to be MUCH WORSE!
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2016 at 19:14
Yeah, I don't think Perry is that dedicated to abolishing the Dept of Energy (after all he forgot he even said it!). 
What he will likely do if nominated is turn it into another pro corporate/oil shill. Abolishing it actually would be LESS helpful for his buddies, it'd be far more helpful to keep the department and basically sell it off to oil/corporate interests. More corporatism. This is gunna be the Trump administration. 

OH! And fill it with more climate change deniers. 
Sadly none of this is even uniquely Trump, this all here is mainstream Republicanism. 

Speaking of Trump...yet another allegation of Russian links, this one from "diplomatic sources and spies"
Where there's smoke, there's fire. 
There are waaaaay too many pieces now for it not to fight together. As always people can just deny it, claim "this isnt proof of anything" but to totally dismiss the possibility now means you're officially stranded on denial island. Especially since so many people will cite "hillay4jail" or some random quote from a breitbart comment as proof Clinton ate dogs and worshipped Satan. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2016 at 19:22
This is an absolutely brilliant article from Ta-Nehisi Coates. Moving, painful, optimistic and crushing.
"My President Was Black" 
Hits on so many superb points, filled with so many wonderful lines you have to just read it all. 

Some personal favorites though:

"But the underlying presumption—that Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama could be swapped in for each other—exhibited a problem. Clinton was a candidate who’d won one competitive political race in her life, whose political instincts were questioned by her own advisers, who took more than half a million dollars in speaking fees from an investment bank because it was “what they offered,” who proposed to bring back to the White House a former president dogged by allegations of rape and sexual harassment. Obama was a candidate who’d become only the third black senator in the modern era; who’d twice been elected president, each time flipping red and purple states; who’d run one of the most scandal-free administrations in recent memory. Imagine an African American facsimile of Hillary Clinton: She would never be the nominee of a major political party and likely would not be in national politics at all."

"I am the product of black parents who encouraged me to read, of black teachers who felt my work ethic did not match my potential, of black college professors who taught me intellectual rigor. And they did this in a world that every day insulted their humanity. It was not so much that the black layabouts and deadbeats Obama invoked in his speeches were unrecognizable. I had seen those people too. But I’d also seen the same among white people. If black men were overrepresented among drug dealers and absentee dads of the world, it was directly related to their being underrepresented among the Bernie Madoffs and Kenneth Lays of the world. "

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 01:51
^^ The Atlantic also carried a response to that article with a title along the lines of the problem with Obama's faith in White Americans. It basically insinuates that Obama was 'white' enough to be accepted by White Americans and he underestimated the friction between the two races due to his background.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 12:06
^Some very interesting posts today.
Eddy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2016 at 17:50
Don't worry guys were gonna make America great again!Tongue
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2016 at 21:31
Epic result in the state I live in which is all blue, Washington. Clinton actually lost 4 votes, 3 to Colin Powell and 1 to Faith Spotted Eagle, a native American activist.

So awesome..
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 13:15
^

Yes, wonderful! I heard that Faith Spotted Eagle will run against Trump in 2020. What a scalp!

Edited by SteveG - December 20 2016 at 14:11
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2016 at 18:19
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2016 at 18:26
As ridiculous as the notion of a casting call sounds, to an outsider it looks like Trump is simply taking the personality obsession of American politics to an extreme.  The last President who did not look charismatic was Gerald Ford and he was not elected to the post.  Maybe Bush Sr and again he simply rode the Reagan wave.  It cannot be a mere coincidence that so many of your Presidents have been charismatic; it seems to be a rather important requirement and one that perhaps overrides considerations of intellect or integrity.  Without commenting on the merits or demerits of either politician, I wonder if a John Major or Angela Merkel could ever win a Presidential Election in the US.  You converted the Presidential race into a reality TV show a long time back and now the reality TV star is spreading the disease through the Cabinet too. 

Edited by rogerthat - December 22 2016 at 00:32
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 00:24
I'm waiting for the day when Donald Trump looks at his nuclear arsenal and says: "You're fired!"
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 04:11
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Anyone still interested in advancing the argument that there was no difference between Trump and Clinton?
You posted a very good article. But that's exactly the main difference between Trump and Clinton. As bizarre as Trump's TV antics are, it shows his personality. Flawed to anyone that's normal, but it's still a personality. Hilary simply doesn't project one. Bizarre or normal.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 06:37
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Anyone still interested in advancing the argument that there was no difference between Trump and Clinton?
You posted a very good article. But that's exactly the main difference between Trump and Clinton. As bizarre as Trump's TV antics are, it shows his personality. Flawed to anyone that's normal, but it's still a personality. Hilary simply doesn't project one. Bizarre or normal.

so your argument is that Trump is preferable because he's expressing a personality?

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 06:39

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

so your argument is that Trump is preferable because he's expressing a personality?

To a good many Americans, yes. Why else would they vote for this clown? But it's certainly not the main reason.

Edited by SteveG - December 23 2016 at 13:37
Gamemako View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 15:43
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

As ridiculous as the notion of a casting call sounds, to an outsider it looks like Trump is simply taking the personality obsession of American politics to an extreme.  The last President who did not look charismatic was Gerald Ford and he was not elected to the post.  Maybe Bush Sr and again he simply rode the Reagan wave.  It cannot be a mere coincidence that so many of your Presidents have been charismatic; it seems to be a rather important requirement and one that perhaps overrides considerations of intellect or integrity.  Without commenting on the merits or demerits of either politician, I wonder if a John Major or Angela Merkel could ever win a Presidential Election in the US.  You converted the Presidential race into a reality TV show a long time back and now the reality TV star is spreading the disease through the Cabinet too. 

You might consider that personality and emotion have figured prominently in Baby Boomer voters for their entire lifetimes. Boomers gave us actor Reagan, gave us W. over Al Bore, and now gives us reality T.V. star Trump over robotic Hillary. LBJ, Nixon, Ford, and Carter were nowhere near as people-pleasing as modern candidates. JFK was something in his day, but we didn't really take off with the popularity obsession until Reagan. I hate to be too reductive here, but that trend may be focused primarily on one cohort, which also happens to be the first to experience the mass media world. It seems that others have not opted not to turn on, tune in, and drop out: Trump lost by double digits among other age groups. Oh, and Boomers are also responsible for forcing us to listen to awful Christmas music from their childhoods every goddamn year, which is an unforgivable sin in my book. Wink

Anyhow, an interesting read on how we got here. I highly suggest everyone read it, and I've been shipping it around where I can.
Hail Eris!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 20:25
Originally posted by Gamemako Gamemako wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

You might consider that personality and emotion have figured prominently in Baby Boomer voters for their entire lifetimes. Boomers gave us actor Reagan, gave us W. over Al Bore, and now gives us reality T.V. star Trump over robotic Hillary. LBJ, Nixon, Ford, and Carter were nowhere near as people-pleasing as modern candidates. JFK was something in his day, but we didn't really take off with the popularity obsession until Reagan. I hate to be too reductive here, but that trend may be focused primarily on one cohort, which also happens to be the first to experience the mass media world. It seems that others have not opted not to turn on, tune in, and drop out: Trump lost by double digits among other age groups. Oh, and Boomers are also responsible for forcing us to listen to awful Christmas music from their childhoods every goddamn year, which is an unforgivable sin in my book. Wink

Anyhow, an interesting read on how we got here. I highly suggest everyone read it, and I've been shipping it around where I can.

I forgot Nixon.  Yes, you could say it really started with Reagan.  Carter himself represented a creeping populism; his appeal was reliant on his looking more like a normal American (and this became a necessary condition going forward).  But it definitely became more important (too important?) starting with Reagan.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 21:54
This is so true about the personality thing, and I just can't stand it. I was appalled by Trump, but Hillary made it unfortunately a lot about her, starting with her hogwash about the election being like a job interview. And political debates never contain much of any actual argumentation. They're just filled with candidates staking claims while trying to impart the most convincing tone of voice and body language. There's never any real evidence brought out, so no wonder a factually challenged candidate won. And we are still faced with supply-side economics from this President Elect. If we could base our communication on sound argumentation, the supply-side notion, I'm sure, would be on the trash heap.

I've tried to teach college students (Freshmen) over and over again about the difference between deductive, inductive and analogical reasoning. They just fail to grasp it every semester.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 22:47
The election is now official official. 
The electoral college has voted, Donald Trump is our next President.

Obviously nothing crazy was gunna happen with the vote but we did see 7 defectors, which is a pretty high number. Shockingly only 2 Republicans broke from Trump, choosing Kasich and Ron Paul, FIVE broke from Clinton. 3 for Colin Powell, 1 for Faith Spotted Eagle, and 1 for Bernie Sanders. Sanders recieved a couple more but the results were invalidated due to state laws on the matter. 
Several also broke from Kaine as their VP choice, with Elizabeth Warren getting 2. 

Now the Powell votes I get, it was part of that compromise to get some Repubs to dump Trump, and Faith Spotted Eagle, one of the blockers of the keystone pipeline, I assume is a protest vote. Though it's still pretty shocking because this just doesn't happen. Given the choices made: Sanders, Warren, an environmental activist, it can't be denied there really is some discontent in the party. Not just working class moderates who feel so abandoned they gambled for Trump, but Washington, Minnesota, Maine...clearly progressives are starting to reach their limit. 

Oh and honestly...I could've easily lived with a Colin Powell presidency!

Edited by JJLehto - December 23 2016 at 22:47
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 146>