Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAm I the only one who's fave prog band is Egg?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I the only one who's fave prog band is Egg?
    Posted: February 25 2016 at 07:05
Also known as Egg appreciation society thread. Smile

I came into knowing Egg by discovering Symphony No. 2 from their debut through BBC Prog Rock Britannia documentary. I immidietly fell in love with the band.
It is weird to say, but Egg is actually the only band which doesn't have a song in their catalogue that I do not like. For real. I think every song they produced is a true masterpiece and I love every album by bits. They have a certain vibe going on right there that no band managed to reproduce or repeat.
I am still scratching my head over how they didn't reach any more fame. For me personally, they beat ELP by country miles.
Some of my favorite tunes would be Symphony No. 2

Wring Out The Ground (Loosely Now)

Prelude

A Visit to Newport Hospital

LET'S DISCUSS EGG!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 07:10
No !! EGG happen to be but only ONE of my faves........I have many.......
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 07:16
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

No !! EGG happen to be but only ONE of my faves........I have many.......

Well, so do I (I don't want to be seen as childish, where only one band can be a favorite), but this one plays a significant role and I just happen to be temporarly rediscovering my love to it. Also, I thought the title was catchy or provoking to discuss.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - February 25 2016 at 07:19
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 07:23
I certainly like them a heap, but the vocals always let them down a little for me, esepcially on the debut album. Still three great discs to their name, though...

I'm currently at work on nightshift, and started searching through my Ipod for their albums, only to find them not there...my Ipod crashed about two months ago and I'm STILL putting essential everything back on it, and I'm now extremely pissed off to find Egg hadn't made the jump back...I was so hanging to give `The Polite Force' a spin right now!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 07:26
Anything with Dave Stewart on keys wins me over........
Regarding Egg - Dave's solo on Wring Out The Ground is beyond brilliant.
Newport Hospital is amazing, and much of the debut is pure magic.
The most 'difficult' track of them all would have to be the complete Boilk, though I love the weirdo Mellotron work and the Bach organ piece in the last section.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 07:36

Anything with Dave Stewart on keys wins me over........
Regarding Egg - Dave's solo on Wring Out The Ground is beyond brilliant.
Newport Hospital is amazing, and much of the debut is pure magic.
The most 'difficult' track of them all would have to be the complete Boilk, though I love the weirdo Mellotron work and the Bach organ piece in the last section.

Well said!
I mean, even the band name - Egg, there is just something incredibly funky and avant garde about it.

As a side note, I just purchased the Abbey Road remaster of Polite Force on vinyl and can't wait to give it a spin :)
Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 07:37
I've never listened to them, but I'll add them to my list. Right now I'm on a space prog kick, but I'll definitely check them out.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 09:27
Originally posted by Prog Snob Prog Snob wrote:

I've never listened to them, but I'll add them to my list. Right now I'm on a space prog kick, but I'll definitely check them out.

You probably won't find anything spacey in Egg, but still - well worth a listen.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 13:11
I'm on a Tech-Extreme kick but I still love me some Egg.......and Hatfield........or National Health.........or Khan..........or maybe even some Stewart / Gaskin.........
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 13:30

I'm on a Tech-Extreme kick but I still love me some Egg.......and Hatfield........or National Health.........or Khan..........or maybe even some Stewart / Gaskin.........

I didn't find Khan all that fascinating, because I was hoping for a very Dave Stewart-esque material and Khan turned out to be Steve Hillage's project.
But Hatfield and National Health have that true Stewart vibe going on. However, I prefer his work in Egg, because it gives more space for his virtuosity (pretty logical for me being a prog guitarist, eh?)Tongue
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 13:55
I'm a fan of Egg also....love all 3 of their albums...and all the Canterbury bands.  I also have the live/studio compilation  disc Metronomical Society.
Thumbs Up

Edited by dr wu23 - February 25 2016 at 13:59
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 13:55
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Originally posted by Prog Snob Prog Snob wrote:

You probably won't find anything spacey in Egg, but still - well worth a listen.

I didn't think so, but a week ago I wasn't listening to any space prog. My playlist is constantly fluctuating.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 14:06
IMHO Egg and the other Canterbury bands: Caravan, Soft Machine, Hatfield, National Health, etc....should find their way into any good prog rock collection.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 14:10
I just picked up a used vinyl copy of Bruford's One Of A Kind....and of course Dave Stewart plays keyboards on it.
I'm sure ALotOfBottle also owns the related album Arzachel by Uriel (which turned into Egg in time) since he also mentioned Khan above.

btw a wiki link for Dave Stewart......I have most of his Canterbury and fusion things but this guy has been involved in a lot of projects.  Thumbs Up

Edited by dr wu23 - February 25 2016 at 14:21
Haquin
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 14:21
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I just picked up a used vinyl copy of Bruford's One Of A Kind....and of course Dave Stewart plays keyboards on it.
I'm sure ALotOfBottle also owns the related album Arzachel which turned into Egg in time since he also mentioned Khan above.

I listened to Azrachel a lot of times when I was in a psychedelic rock mood, but actually I never got around to buying an actual LP... or a CD for that matter.
I was doing some record shopping this weekend in Warsaw (where all the coolest record stores are) and picked up just two albums: Five Bridges by The Nice and Pictures at an Exhibition by ELP (which I don't know how I hadn't had) at a fairly good price. By the way, I also saw the Bruford album Gradually Going Tornado, which is the one after the album you mentioned. Also features Dave Stewart. In the end, I didn't get it, because I thought the price was a bit to high, even for original pressing. Anyway, The Nice album especially got me thinking that Dave Stewart was influenced by Keith Emerson in the early period, but with his very intelligent, musical influence, he managed to craft it into something that no other musician would ever be able to repeat or reproduce. A true genius! I actually think I like Dave Stewart's playing a bit more than Keith Emerson's. From what I hear, it seems like he has a wider harmonic imagination than Keith and can craft more sophisticated melodies or progressions in a certain musical context.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - February 25 2016 at 14:24
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 14:33
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I'm sure ALotOfBottle also owns the related album Arzachel which turned into Egg in time since he also mentioned Khan above.

I listened to Azrachel a lot of times when I was in a psychedelic rock mood, but actually I never got around to buying an actual LP... or a CD for that matter.
I was doing some record shopping this weekend in Warsaw (where all the coolest record stores are) and picked up just two albums: Five Bridges by The Nice and Pictures at an Exhibition by ELP (which I don't know how I hadn't had) at a fairly good price. By the way, I also saw the Bruford album Gradually Going Tornado, which is the one after the album you mentioned. Also features Dave Stewart. In the end, I didn't get it, because I thought the price was a bit to high, even for original pressing. Anyway, The Nice album especially got me thinking that Dave Stewart was influenced by Keith Emerson in the early period, but with his very intelligent, musical influence, he managed to craft it into something that no other musician would ever be able to repeat or reproduce. A true genius! I actually think I like Dave Stewart's playing a bit more than Keith Emerson's. From what I hear, it seems like he has a wider harmonic imagination than Keith and can craft more sophisticated melodies or progressions in a certain musical context.

Arzachel sounds a lot different than Egg and Stewart's later work, but I'm a huge fan of the Khan album.
I'm sure you must own the Hatfield and National Health stuff? I think his work on all 3 of those Bruford albums is excellent and I like them. I'm currently playing Tornado....the last cut is a Stewart composition.
Haquin
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 18:23
Absolutely love love love 'em.   Favorite?   Could be .. maybe .. on certain days.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 18:35
They're only my all-time fave every second Tuesday of every other month. Every other day they are between my second fave and ninth fave.
Magma America Great Make Again
kjtheguitarist View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 02:20
I like Egg. I love its Jazzy mood so much. But not my favorite band.
Because their music is a little too much tricky to me.
I love the music that has patterns.
Of course, Egg's music has patterns, but they are a little bit hard to recognize.
That said, I like Egg.
That's all.
 Post Reply Post Reply