Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrexit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Should Britain leave the EU?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [46.67%]
8 [53.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brexit
    Posted: February 26 2016 at 12:23
I've just made this poll - http://www.ranker.com/list/should-britain-leave-the-eu-/matthewgill and voting so far points strongly to people wanting Britain out of the European Union.

I wonder how people will vote on Progarchives given the strong Liberal demographic? 

Edited by Matthew _Gill - February 26 2016 at 12:24
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 15:18
We'd be absolutely mad to consider leaving...
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 15:55
Definitely YES! And so should the Netherlands. And those other 26 countries. Rather today than tomorrow, before it's too late.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 16:43
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

We'd be absolutely mad to consider leaving...

Really? Why?

I have not finally made my mind up yet. I must say, though, that the "debate" and, especially, the stance of the stay in camp, leaves me absolutely cold. The scare and fear tactics utilised have shown politics in this country at their very worst. I would not be a bit surprised if our esteemed Secretary of State for Heath issued a warning in coming weeks that voting to leave the EU increases your chances of getting cancer by at least 75% Pathetic and a disgrace, really.

I am not Welsh by birth, but have lived here for over 16 years. I have been a member of Plaid Cymru, the Welsh Nationalists, for a few years now, and am one of the rare people in the party who tend towards a Eurosceptic stance. Actually, the party's position on Europe does not make much sense intellectually. It strikes me as being rather strange to object to an unaccountable, bureaucratic, distant government ruling us from Whitehall (I agree), but then, in the same breath, to want to be ruled from an even more unaccountable, bureaucratic, and distant government in Brussels. Utter nonsense, really, and an issue which may well tip me into leaving the party.

The EU, as with most centralised monsters, is in an utter mess. Is UK government any better? Nope. Full of incompetent morons who seem to have very little sense of how to adapt to a rather scary world, and who seem hellbent themselves on creating a centralised state which the likes of Foot and Benn could only really dream of.

As I commented in the US election thread, there is a very real and understandable attitude amongst ordinary people that government is not delivering and working for them. This is extremely important, and a growing sense of discontent might, I hope, lead to real change.

My grandmother was Maltese, and I qualify for a passport there. We go there on holiday annually, so I am, in fact, very well disposed towards the continent. I am also extremely mindful of the fact that this experiment commenced with a very real and positive wish to put the horrors of two world wars and genocidal acts behind us, and, in that sense, it has been a roaring success.

It is, though, utterly in hock to global corporations. It is shockingly run, and disgracefully unaccountable. It is a centralised monstrosity delivering bugger all to the majority of people living in it, with economic, political, and social issues really not giving anyone a sense that it can be turned around. I certainly do not see any real will to change - witness the pathetic reception Cameron received with that renegotiation which was, in all reality, an utter piss take, both of him, and us.

I suspect that the British people will, in the end, vote to remain, to keep both the status quo, and because of the ridiculous scaremongering going on. It will not, though, be with anything approaching enthusiasm, and the time when the impact of political drift comes knocking on our doors will not, I fear, be a pleasant one.

So. Mad to think about leaving? No, not at all. In fact, it is perfectly rational.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 17:52
Sometimes, I'm really close to wishing England would leave (and we'd take Scotland after a second independance referendum, which will no doubt happen since the Scots are very-much Pro-Europe)... Good friggin' riddance to those AlbionitesClap

Ever since England has been in the EC, they've done everything to stop Europe from functionning correctly, by always vetoing (One of Europe's weak point is that it needed unanimity, which was doable with the original 6, but at 28....) almost everything. I'm totally against the Cameron blackmail and the special deal that he extorted from Europe. They only want the advantages of Europe (which they systematically ignore to expose in public - to fit their hidden agenda), but none of the inconveniances (which are not nearly as many as Farage says). Is it any surprise that England is not part of the €-zone and Shengen-system?? Not at all, really!!! They're not interested in making Europe work, only creating havoc. 

With a perfidious friend like The City, doing everything it can to drown the Euro (€) zone, who needs ennemies? 

Just look how England is making it tough on everyone, and not caring about the nuisance they create to their direct neighbours... Calais and the so-called jungle: why do all these refugees and migrants want to cross the chunnel? Because of a few idiotic and huge gaps in their laws. Create obligatory ID cards, change the rules about asylum and non-expulsion rules and social help, and 99% of those refugees and migrants will suddendly lose all interest in the UK... Easy enough a solution, but the tories and their claim to medieval traditions won't budge. So it's their bloody mess out there in Calais!!
And then they blame the rest of Europe for their own inadequaties. ConfusedErmmStern SmileWacko Amazing, uh?? Perfidious is more like it, really!!!!! Dead

anyway, enough for tonight Approve, but be warned I got plenty more!!Wink

Edited by Sean Trane - February 27 2016 at 02:10
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 22:06
Britain out, Ethiopia in.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 04:01
It's not a liberal vs conservative issue IMO. Historicaly the left were the Eurosceptics and the tory right wanted in.

There is a lot of misleading and contradictory information coming out of both the in and out camps. There is no impartial information on the subject. For every 'business leader' who says we must stay in, there are equal numbers who say we shoud leave.

I may not vote in the referendum, as I, like everyone else is not armed with adequate information to make an informed and non politcally motivated choice. I had been strongly in the OUT camp, but now I'm not sure, probably because I'm falling for the most effectve weapon that the IN brigade have in the armoury, and that is the masses fear of the unknown and inclination to go with the 'devil you know'

I think when it comes to the vote we'll be staying in, even if the vote is very close.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 04:43
And the Dutch and the Czech Republic are also considering a referendum as a prelude to their exit.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/646796/Dutch-voters-in-out-EU-referendum-Brexit-contagion-fears-Brussels-Jean-Claude-Juncker

With Britons due to decide on June 23 whether to exit the EU or remain tied to Brussels, there are growing signs other voters across the continent are craving their own chance to leave the crisis-stricken union.

In a new opinion poll in the Netherlands, a majority of voters said they backed the country having its own in/out referendum on EU membership, similar to the UK vote.

And Czech Republic prime minister Bohuslav Sobotka has warned if Britons do decide to leave the EU, a ‘Czexit’ could follow.

RELATED ARTICLES

In the Dutch poll, more than half (53 per cent) supported an in/out vote with 44 per cent opposed and four per cent unsure.

In the survey, conducted by pollster and entrepreneur Maurice de Hond, voters were also asked how they would vote in such an in/out referendum.

Only slightly more (44 per cent) wanted to remain in the EU than those who said they would opt to leave the bloc (43 per cent), while 13 per cent said they ‘didn’t know’.

Interestingly, more Dutch voters (48 per cent) said they didn’t want Britain to exit the EU this summer than wanted their own country to stay in the bloc.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 05:11
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Sometimes, I'm really close to wishing England would leave (and we'd take Scotland after a second independance referendum, which will no doubt happen since the Scots are very-much Pro-Europe)... Good friggin' riddance to those AlbionitesClap

Ever since England has been in the EC, they've done everything to stop Europe from functionning correctly, by always vetoing (One of Europe's weak point is that it needed unanimity, which was doable with the original 6, but at 28....) almost everything. I'm totally against the Cameron blackmail and the special deal that he extorted from Europe. They only want the advantages of Europe (which they systematically ignore to expose in public - to fit their hidden agenda), but none of the inconveniances (which are not nearly as many as Farage says). Is it any surprise that England is not part of the €-zone and Shengen-system?? Not at all, really!!! They're not interested in making Europe work, only creating havoc. 

With a perfidious friend like The City, doing everything it can to drown the Euro (€) zone, who needs ennemies? 

Just look how England is making it tough on everyone, and not caring about the nuisance they create to their direct neighbours... Calais and the so-called jungle: why do all these refugees and migrants want to cross the chunnel? Because of a few idiotic and huge gaps in their laws. Create obligatory ID cards, change the rules about asylum and non-expulsion rules and social help, and 99% of those refugees and migrants will suddendly lose all interest in the UK... Easy enough a solution, but the tories and their claim to medieval traditions won't budge. So it's their bloody mess out there in Calais!!
And then they blame the rest of Europe for their own inadequaties. ConfusedErmmStern SmileWacko Amazing, uh?? Perfidious is more like it, really!!!!! Dead

anyway, enough for tonight Approve, but be warned I got plenty more!!Wink

I don't really understand the Calais situation. They want to demolish the camp and give its inhabitants social housing. To do so I guess they'd be granting them full asylum, and if they were to be issued French passports they could all come to the UK legally anyway if they still wanted to... I don't understand what the problem is. I also don't understand why the refugees would turn down the opportunity of housing in favour of living in a filthy camp in the rain.

As for 'The City' Most of those banking cockroaches want the UK to stay in the EU. What does that say, either about the bankers or the EU?
Matthew _Gill View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 18:00
The current systems seems to give people like Anjem Choudary room to thrive and potential economic repercussions aside leaving the EU will make it easier to fight such cancer.

Edited by Matthew _Gill - February 27 2016 at 18:00
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 03:00
Originally posted by Matthew _Gill Matthew _Gill wrote:

The current systems seems to give people like Anjem Choudary room to thrive and potential economic repercussions aside leaving the EU will make it easier to fight such cancer.

Enabling loonies such as Choudary to roam and spread poison at will has absolutely nothing to do with the EU. It has more to do with the attitude that anything criticising such nutters is akin to Islamophobia amongst the idiots responsible for running our country, and those who want to run the country. Those people will still be running the show whether we are in or out.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 03:39
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I don't really understand the Calais situation. They want to demolish the camp and give its inhabitants social housing. To do so I guess they'd be granting them full asylum, and if they were to be issued French passports they could all come to the UK legally anyway if they still wanted to... I don't understand what the problem is. I also don't understand why the refugees would turn down the opportunity of housing in favour of living in a filthy camp in the rain.

Well, I don't believe for a second that the Northern France authorities want to create decent housing... The Front National is the dominant force since a couple of months ago, so they just want to demolish everything and hope most of the refugees go to Belgium (some already have)

And should they indeed provide better housing, the refugees will have to apply for refugee status in France, which they don't want. This would stop them in their quest in having that status in the UK.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2016 at 05:46

I may not vote in the referendum, as I, like everyone else is not armed with adequate information to make an informed and non politcally motivated choice. I had been strongly in the OUT camp, but now I'm not sure, probably because I'm falling for the most effectve weapon that the IN brigade have in the armoury, and that is the masses fear of the unknown and inclination to go with the 'devil you know'

I'm in the "undecided" camp. As Andy says, we don't really have the information to know what will happen either way and neither does anyone. It's all guesswork and a load of rhetoric from each side.

I will probably wait and see which way the big businesses are going.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2016 at 02:57
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I'm in the "undecided" camp. As Andy says, we don't really have the information to know what will happen either way and neither does anyone. It's all guesswork and a load of rhetoric from each side.

Part of the information is easily available: Countries like Switzerland and Norway are doing fine without being part of the EU. Iceland has overcome a financial crisis some years ago without the EU. Fear of the unknown is a strong weapon in the hands of the IN brigade indeed, but a poor counsellor. When I try to visualize the road of the EU, I cannot get the cover of that 1977 Kansas album out of my head...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2016 at 06:34
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Part of the information is easily available: Countries like Switzerland and Norway are doing fine without being part of the EU. Iceland has overcome a financial crisis some years ago without the EU.
Yes that's correct but does that neccessarily mean the UK will be the same if we leave?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2016 at 07:33
^Not necessarily of course, but I guess there is a fair chance. If there will be a referendum about an NLexit one day, I'd gladly take the risk Approve.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2016 at 12:22

Part of the information is easily available: Countries like Switzerland and Norway are doing fine without being part of the EU. Iceland has overcome a financial crisis some years ago without the EU. Fear of the unknown is a strong weapon in the hands of the IN brigade indeed, but a poor counsellor. When I try to visualize the road of the EU, I cannot get the cover of that 1977 Kansas album out of my head...

The IN mob say that Switzerland and Norway may as well be in the EU as they are bound to numerous trade deals shared by other member states anyway. Although they 'enjoy' the low trade tarifs etc, they don;t have a 'place at the table' and so don't get to vote on anything in the EU parliament.

Norawy is also signed up to the Shengan (?) agreement so have open borders to other EU states.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2016 at 17:26

Norway, Iceland d Lichtenstein as you rightly point out, part of EEA agreament, like followinEU legislastions but have no say in EU parlamentaric meatings/situations. Ironicly the Secretary General of European Council in Strasbourgh is Norwegian, Torbjørn Jagland
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2016 at 03:31

Norawy is also signed up to the Shengan (?) agreement so have open borders to other EU states.

I believe even Iceland is in the Schengen agreements.

Could be that these small tax-evasion havens (Monte Carlo, Andorra, San Marino, Liechtenstein , etc...) are also in...

But most likely tax-evasion havens like Gibraltar, Guernsey, Sark or Man will never be.

And TBH, I'm willing to drop those Schengen things if that's what it takes to "save Europe"...

Who cares about controls at the borders?? And freedom of workers only profit the wealthy, not the locals...

Edited by Sean Trane - March 01 2016 at 03:32
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2016 at 03:43
I am aware that the European Union is a far from perfect organisation, but I also believe that it can be a force for good.
For centuries we spent a lot of time at war with France or Germany or Spain.
Along with NATO, the EU has done a lot to bring the states and peoples of Europe especially Western Europe together. These are people who we do have a lot in common with cultrally.
What a terrible waste it would be to throw this away and walk away like a petulant child who isn't getting his own way on everything. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>