Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCelestial Voices - Pink Floyd

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Celestial Voices - Pink Floyd
    Posted: March 24 2016 at 06:35

Does anyone else think this is one of the bands most accomplished and proficient efforts? I don't often see it being brought up when discussing the best of Floyd, but Wright, Gilmour, and Mason are on absolute fire here. 

Edited by Fearlessly - March 24 2016 at 06:38
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 07:14
Welcome to the ProgArchives!

I think it's indeed somewhat underrated by the main public, but here on PA there is a lot of love for it. 
The track is one of the most moving they've done and the chord progression is very sophisticated!
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 07:53
Emblematic moment indeed.
My personnal favorite track of Live at Pompeii is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNnuDkZC5Ks&index=2&list=PLqf2srRfppHBPoy2UEjKTyaL2Lh9DSTsz
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 08:58
That's the only part of "A Saucerful Of Secrets"(the song) where the studio version is superior to any live performance.
Magma America Great Make Again
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 09:21
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

That's the only part of "A Saucerful Of Secrets"(the song) where the studio version is superior to any live performance.
I tend to agree, but the first three parts live compensate for that.
What?
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 09:26
^^ I agree, the darkness of the studio version gives me goosebumps. Tangerine Dream were probably inspired by that part.
Fearlessly View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 18:46
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

Welcome to the ProgArchives!

I think it's indeed somewhat underrated by the main public, but here on PA there is a lot of love for it. 
The track is one of the most moving they've done and the chord progression is very sophisticated!

I agree. It's one of the few Pink Floyd tracks that nearly made me cry. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 23:05
I find it wonderful too. Instruments, and Gilmour's vocals are sublime. However, I think the version of Ummagumma has the vocal part longer (I would have to check it out anyway to make sure), so I would prefer that one. And no, I definitley don't like the studio version better, I think this one is much more enjoyable.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 10:11
Hi,

The whole film is great ... and it is an experience, that you would have gotten live at the time. This band was as good, if not better, at the Hollywood Bowl in 1972, if which I was lucky enough to have heard a bootleg of it.

I much prefer this era to anything from DSOTM and on ... 

Edited by moshkito - March 25 2016 at 10:11
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 11:18

Thank you, sir; may I have another?

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Fearlessly View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 01:45
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

The whole film is great ... and it is an experience, that you would have gotten live at the time. This band was as good, if not better, at the Hollywood Bowl in 1972, if which I was lucky enough to have heard a bootleg of it.

I much prefer this era to anything from DSOTM and on ..

I agree. I initially used to prefer their DSTOM era, but, to me, this was Floyd at their most driven, experimental, and creative. They had this relentless determination to make it but not at the expense of artistically compensating themselves. They were just on fire here, and there was a real balance in the band, as opposed to it being more Water-centric in subsequent years. 
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 02:35
Imvho the concert performance of all of Saucer brings out the theme far more effectively. Still, interesting sub topic - which PF studio versus live numbers are preferred. e.g. The climax of Echoes is best done in the studio version... by best I mean the piece's most effective communication.

Sub sub topic - I prefer the Ummgumma version to this ... just.

Edited by uduwudu - March 26 2016 at 02:38
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 23:40
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Imvho the concert performance of all of Saucer brings out the theme far more effectively. Still, interesting sub topic - which PF studio versus live numbers are preferred. e.g. The climax of Echoes is best done in the studio version... by best I mean the piece's most effective communication.

Sub sub topic - I prefer the Ummgumma version to this ... just.

Oh, there are so many Pink Floyd songs I prefer live.
- Astronomy Domine on Pulse.
- Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun on Ummagumma, or even better on Pompeii.
- Celestial voices on Ummagumma.
- Careful with that Axe Eugene on Umagumma.
- Not really oficially released, but Embryo, Fat Old Sun, and Cymbaline on live versions from the era, BBC recordings or whatever... though Fat Old Sun does have the Gilmour solo version on Remember that Night that is wonderful too.
Not really Pink Floyd, but the "acoustic" version of Dominoes on "David Gilmour in Concert" is really wonderful too.
- One of this days on Delicate Sound of Thunder.
- Wot's Uh... the deal, on Gilmour's Live in Gdansk.
- Wish you Were Here on Pulse.
- Another Brick on the Wall on Pulse (just the song I prefer on Pulse, unfortunatley I prefer it even more to go together with The Happiest Days of our Lives, and for the duo the studio version is best).
- Mother from Water's In The Flesh live album.
- What Shall we do now, from The Wall in Berlin.
- Another Brick in the Wall 3 from the Berlin album.
- Hey You on Pulse.
- Comfrotably Numb on Delicate Sound of Thunder.
- In the Flesh from Berlin.
- This one is totally Gilmour, but Murder live is much better. I think it's only been officially released on VHS, though. Actually, most of the songs from that album were better live... I think Near the End was also excellent on that live release.
- On the Turnin Away from Delicate sound of Thunder.
- Yet Another Movies, on Delicate Sound of Thunder.
- This one is totally Waters, but Perfect Sense, parts 1 & 2, on In The Flesh live.
- A Great Day for Freedom on the David Gilmour on Concert DVD.
- High Hopes on Pulse.
- Rick Wright's Breakthrough, on the David Gilmour on Concert DVD.
- Any track from Gilmour's "On an Island" was better for me either on "Live in Gdansk" or "Remember that Night". I particularly like the title track, though (plus, the live albums feature Rick Wright on all of it, which combined with the backing band, which is mostly the same used on Pulse, makes this releases seem almost a Pink Floyd release).
- And I really expect to hear live versions from Gilmour's new album to find some new favourite live versions.
- Special mention to Roger Waters versions of "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" and "Welcome to the Machine", which are wonderful too, and very different from the originals, but I still prefer the more minimalistic versions with Pink Floyd.
- Also special mention to Waters "Each Small Candle", which is a wonderful live song... though it has no studio original to compare it with.
- And last special mention to Echoes on "Live in Gdansk" (or Remember that Night), for it is mostly stronger, with really wonderful and improved guitar solos... but as you mentioned before, the build-up after the screeching guitars sections is still unrivaled on the studio original, and just for that I prefer it (it feature perhaps my very favourite Wright moment, which for some reason he just wouldn't play the same on the live versions).
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 00:00
There is always Childhood's End (1973 tour), extended with DG doing his guitar thing his way. You know what I mean. Lovely 10 minute type versions. If only there were a lovely soundboard somewhere. Official release is probably set for another 100 years away...

As for Set The Controls may I recommend the unofficial version of Ummagumma whereupon Set The Controls is not faded early (why this has not been fixed for the CD version I have no idea. Unless it has, I've not heard all the PF remixes / remasters. You also get Interstellar Overdrive which could have reworked the CD version of Ummagumma very nicely thank you.

But yes, as Dellinger mentioned - the BBC sessions; the recordings from 1970 and '71, the John Peel In Concert series plus the 1968 and 1969 studio sessions (Celestial Voices is also isolated in one version) makes for terrific extra curricular PF listening. As he mentioned, Embryo - this is where DG really gets the soloing going. As well as the space trip thing.

Watch out for Corrosion and Moonhead as well.

Gosh, we'll be dissecting A Man; A Journey next... (hint  - the 1996 rebroadcast of the Concertgebeouw Amsterdam show from 17 Sept '69 if I recall rightly). Wink
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 06:32
'Behold The Temple Of Light' - Celestial Voices crossed with The Narrow Way III. Pure majik
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 06:39
Yeah, this is a fantastic piece. One of my favorites from Pink Floyd and one of the proggiest they ever produced.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 10:45
Hi,

I think I collected something like 10 to 12 different versions of "Set the Controls for the heart of the sun" and ... love them all, even if the details are so minor! Just wonderful listens. Same thing for Echoes. However, it could also be said that those were my "formative" years, and thus the music had a bigger level of appreciation than otherwise.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 23:10
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

There is always Childhood's End (1973 tour), extended with DG doing his guitar thing his way. You know what I mean. Lovely 10 minute type versions. If only there were a lovely soundboard somewhere. Official release is probably set for another 100 years away...

As for Set The Controls may I recommend the unofficial version of Ummagumma whereupon Set The Controls is not faded early (why this has not been fixed for the CD version I have no idea. Unless it has, I've not heard all the PF remixes / remasters. You also get Interstellar Overdrive which could have reworked the CD version of Ummagumma very nicely thank you.

But yes, as Dellinger mentioned - the BBC sessions; the recordings from 1970 and '71, the John Peel In Concert series plus the 1968 and 1969 studio sessions (Celestial Voices is also isolated in one version) makes for terrific extra curricular PF listening. As he mentioned, Embryo - this is where DG really gets the soloing going. As well as the space trip thing.

Watch out for Corrosion and Moonhead as well.

Gosh, we'll be dissecting A Man; A Journey next... (hint  - the 1996 rebroadcast of the Concertgebeouw Amsterdam show from 17 Sept '69 if I recall rightly). Wink

I have never been much of a fan of Childhood's End, but perhaps if I heard that live version... Floyd had a way to make regular songs really special by playing them live with Gilmour's guitar thing (and Wright's keyboard thing shouldn't be overlooked either, specially on this early concerts).

About Ummagumma... perhaps that's the album I would like them to release on a special bonus added edition. I never notice the live version of Set the Controls was faded (my version lasts for 9:12 min), but if it is, I would certainly want it complete (still, I would rather be able to get a CD release of it from Live at Pompeii, which I prefer over this one). And I had heard about Intersellar Overdrive from this concert, which I would also love to be able to get (I did get a version of it with Gilmour recently, on the on the BBC '68/69 album, but it was rather dissapointing, with the guitar at the beginning much too tame).
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 23:16
^ Ommayad is an unofficial LP I have with a Gilmour Interstellar on it, Embryo, and a lot of Zabriskie stuff.
Still love the loooong Interstellar on the Live In London release. With dear Syd, of course.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2016 at 23:14
I was never much of a fan of the long jamming section on Interstellar Overdrive, even though the initial riffing (repeated at the end) is very cool, so I don't really enjoy the long Live in London version. Actually, my favourite version is a shortened one that appears on an anniversary edition of the album, with lot's of bonus alternate versions of the songs (apart from the early singles).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>