Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCelestial Voices - Pink Floyd

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 05:58
Very cool thread.
I still love my Floyd boots, but my info claims I am without either Childhood's End or Illusions of Childhood's End, both from '73 recordings and, from what I understand, an audience recording in Chicago.

I noticed that the entire Illusions disc has been uploaded to youtube, but I think I've found a better source-;  I'll know in about an hour, barring whatevas.

I've been using the following site
for information on the Floyd boots available, but it seems to have not been updated or further developed for many years.  Anybody know of an alternative for good Floyd boot info?

I should check my pdf's, too.

Anywho, cool stuff.  I really dig Obscured By Clouds.  Live at Pompeii, also.
gracias

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 06:06
^ We all have to tread carefully when discussing 'unofficial' material here.
............wish we could have a 'secret' bootleg thread, but technically, though many of us have them, they have always done the artist a disservice.
I've always said that if I meet any band member featured on an unofficial recording, I'd hand them a tenner (whatevs the pitiful royalty they'd get from a proper album) coz the enjoyment I get from the better recorded boots is immense.
InstrupsychedeMental View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 07:49
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Fair enough.  Several things mentioned within are unofficial releases.  More importantly, for groups such as Pink Floyd I'd claim that we are very lucky that such recordings were made so that we can experience the band's development and creations in a way that would otherwise be impossible.  Several of my Floyd boots are on vinyl but, of course, the artists surely did not benefit from the same.

I've supported the artists I enjoy like crazy for close to half a century.
Probably supported the record companies more in the process, a la the Have a Cigar theme.

I'm still new, here, but I think I get your meaning.
I certainly don't advocating stealing in any way, shape or form.
It could be argued that sampling tunes from youtube does another disservice to the artists, but I suppose if it with the intent of purchasing that which is desired then such could be excused.
Tough issues.
I guess I agree, in part, with Cory Doctorow (and others) on these issues.
'nuff said

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 08:07
^ I agree, these unofficial recordings capture a rare glimpse of many of our favourite bands creative and performing progress 'in flight'. They are priceless, and I love to discuss them in length, but this site is all above board, and we have to respect that, let alone the bands themselves.

Edited by Tom Ozric - March 29 2016 at 08:07
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 09:11
While we should not discuss particular RoIO's as such and certainly cannot link to actual recordings, we can kinda discuss them en passant by talking about the live performances they were taken from. For example last week I posted comments about the live performances of Embryo even though no official live versions have been released and I have no first-hand experience of hearing it live. I can do this because details of said performances are 'common knowledge' (e.g., wikipedia, etc.,) and therefore are not illegal, so as long as I do not refer to a bootleg specifically I haven't broken any rules (and therefore the PA cannot get in trouble with the man).
What?
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 09:19
For a band like Pink Floyd, I think they and their record company missed out on a huge opportunity to make even more money (as if they haven't made enough with just the official releases!) by releasing a lot of these boots themselves.  The demand has always been there, and probably still is.  I suppose they didn't want to release anything of low quality, but I have heard a number of PF boots that have close to excellent sound quality.

Instead, we just have two live albums from their 70's period that were actually released while they were a band.  Of course, we have Delicate Sound Of Thunder and Pulse as well, but that I don't really count those as they are basically run thorough's of the studio versions (there is little to no changes in any of that material from what is on the studio albums).  I think that is why their 70's boots are so popular, because each performance was different from the last (not drastically, of course, but enough to make it worth having multiple versions of the same songs).  I've heard boots from the 80's and 90's, and aside from Echoes on the first leg of the first Momentary Lapse tour, there really is no reason to have any of them over the official live release.  This isn't the case with the 70's material.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 09:37
^ I respect Floyd's restraint in not flooding the market in sub-standard live recordings (just as I respect their restraint in not allowing their music on compilation albums and, until recently, their restraint in not releasing a plethora of 'greatest hits' compilations).

Ummagumma, Delicate Sound of Thunder, Pulse and Is There Anybody Out There? are not the only official live releases. The immersion editions of DSotM and WYWH have live recordings from the 1974 tour recorded at the Wembley Empire Pool. Here the notable tracks can be found on the WYWH bonus discs: the pre-WYWH version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond (then just called Shine On), the pre-Animals versions of Dogs (You Gotta Be Crazy) and Sheep (Ravin' and Drollin'), and one track from Household Objects project (Wine Glasses) that ended up being incorporated into Shine On. A second track from Household Objects (The Hard Way) can be found on one of the DSotM bonus discs.
What?
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 10:26
I like what the celestial voices are singing at the start of Not Now John.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 22:58
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

............wish we could have a 'secret' bootleg thread, but technically, though many of us have them, they have always done the artist a disservice.
I've always said that if I meet any band member featured on an unofficial recording, I'd hand them a tenner (whatevs the pitiful royalty they'd get from a proper album) coz the enjoyment I get from the better recorded boots is immense.

I have always thought that if I already have every studio and live album a band has released, then I'm not really doing any harm by obtaining an unoficial recording that they haven't released. And if they did release it, I would buy it, of course. And I believe usually people who are fans enough to seek out this unoficial recordings would already have everything the band has already released. Not that I am actually fond of looking for such recordings... I'm somewhat too lazy for that.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 23:10
^ good point.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 23:22
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

While we should not discuss particular RoIO's as such and certainly cannot link to actual recordings, we can kinda discuss them en passant by talking about the live performances they were taken from. For example last week I posted comments about the live performances of Embryo even though no official live versions have been released and I have no first-hand experience of hearing it live. I can do this because details of said performances are 'common knowledge' (e.g., wikipedia, etc.,) and therefore are not illegal, so as long as I do not refer to a bootleg specifically I haven't broken any rules (and therefore the PA cannot get in trouble with the man).

Now, I'm still wondering about a few BBC recordings I bought some months ago. They are not bootlegs, at least as far as I understand. I got them in Amazon (I don't know if they have any restrictions about selling such recordings), but it's not clear how involved (I would bet just about not at all) were the members of Floyd, or even if they were considered on the decision of releasing them. However, they do include versions of Embryo, and if they are not bootlegs, then perhaps we could actually consider that live song as having been released already.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 23:29
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

For a band like Pink Floyd, I think they and their record company missed out on a huge opportunity to make even more money (as if they haven't made enough with just the official releases!) by releasing a lot of these boots themselves.  The demand has always been there, and probably still is.  I suppose they didn't want to release anything of low quality, but I have heard a number of PF boots that have close to excellent sound quality.

Instead, we just have two live albums from their 70's period that were actually released while they were a band.  Of course, we have Delicate Sound Of Thunder and Pulse as well, but that I don't really count those as they are basically run thorough's of the studio versions (there is little to no changes in any of that material from what is on the studio albums).  I think that is why their 70's boots are so popular, because each performance was different from the last (not drastically, of course, but enough to make it worth having multiple versions of the same songs).  I've heard boots from the 80's and 90's, and aside from Echoes on the first leg of the first Momentary Lapse tour, there really is no reason to have any of them over the official live release.  This isn't the case with the 70's material.

Actually, songs on Delicate Sound and Pulse (at least some of them) are different enough from the originals that I would prefer them over the studio ones... sure, not as different as the performances from the 70's, but they are good enough. I particularly like "Another Brick in the Wall 2" on Pulse, with longer and better guitar solo at the end; "Comfortably Numb" on Delicate Sound, with even longer and better solo at the end too; "Yet Another Movie" on Delicate Sound is very different, and much better than the original, as far as I'm concerned; and "High Hopes", specially because of the backing vocals at the end. There are some other songs that I do like better on this two live albums, but I guess the differences would be less significant.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 23:37
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ I respect Floyd's restraint in not flooding the market in sub-standard live recordings (just as I respect their restraint in not allowing their music on compilation albums and, until recently, their restraint in not releasing a plethora of 'greatest hits' compilations).

Ummagumma, Delicate Sound of Thunder, Pulse and Is There Anybody Out There? are not the only official live releases. The immersion editions of DSotM and WYWH have live recordings from the 1974 tour recorded at the Wembley Empire Pool. Here the notable tracks can be found on the WYWH bonus discs: the pre-WYWH version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond (then just called Shine On), the pre-Animals versions of Dogs (You Gotta Be Crazy) and Sheep (Ravin' and Drollin'), and one track from Household Objects project (Wine Glasses) that ended up being incorporated into Shine On. A second track from Household Objects (The Hard Way) can be found on one of the DSotM bonus discs.

Yeah, I think it's great too that they have not flooded the market with unecessary releases (as, for example, Jimi Hendrix who has much more compilation albums than the albums he actually released). And it's great that they wouldn't release albums with inadecuate sound quality. However, it would be nice indeed if they released one or two proper live albums from the 70's. Actually, I believe that the Bowl recording that was released with the immersion releases should have been released as a new live album instead (I believe it also included a version of Echoes that was didn't fit in either Dark Side or WYWH). But some live album(s) from pre Dark Side would have been great, in order to get live versions of Fat Old Sun, Embryo, Cymbaline, and some others... plus some live album from the Animals tour (DVD would be what I would really love to get from this tour, but I have read several times that this is just about impossible, for that tour wasn't filmed).
Fearlessly View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 03:27
I am not too overly-familiar with Pink Floyd bootleg catalogue. Can anyone recommend some of their greatest live performance alterations of some of their studio-produced work? 

My favourite at this stage is this absolutely incredible version of Time:

Gilmour's solo is amazing. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12