Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdmiration thread: Manfred Mann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Admiration thread: Manfred Mann
    Posted: March 30 2016 at 07:51
    This is not just an appreciation attempt but sincere admiration for a musician I not often think about, but when I do, I cannot help but to admire him. What is it to admire; you could ask, for me it is many elements to what makes the career of Mann admirable. One thing is his longevity, he have been active since 1962, almost non-stop, second, he have been also touring with high level concerts for as long, 50 years, concert after concert whom are attractive, magical and memorable, third he is a keyboard and synthesizer wiz, one of the most legendary, a pioneer. He have had an eclectic career, spanning 5 decades, spanning multiple genre, from early as RnB, psychedelic rock, pop, to jazz fusion, art rock, progressive rock, blues, jazz, funk, probably more as well. also his most famous trademark, the impeccable skill of rejuvenating other people’s songs, fearless tweaking of big names like Dylan, Springsteen, Marley, the Beatles, etc. fearless and playful covers, renditions, reworking’s, of such degree they are known to surpass the original. 

So let pay some respect to the Mann, to the South African keyboard wiz, muse, pioneer of British invasion, prog and jazz fusion, and live show. Bow down to the ever impressive Manfred Mann

Edited by Icarium - March 30 2016 at 08:44
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 08:28
Agreed.  His work and placement in the history of it all, never fails to inspire.  Early days are very evocative.  And the phases of his Earth Band are like a Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson merged with a Brian Auger and his Trinity.  I have many favourites and they fit many moods.  But if forced to take only one, it would be Glorified Magnified.

cheers...
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 08:36
I think Earth band also is quite similar to how i feel Alan Parson project also were, sort of musical project of enigmati experience, of a mix of psych, pop, and progressive rock. with a prouction to drawl after. 

and some stellar vocalists who sung with emotion and passion.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 13:25
I'm also a fan ...like all of his incarnations ....my favorite  being the Chapter Three albums vol 1 and 2; they had this nice proggy psychy jazzy thing going on.......but I also own all of the Earth Band albums up to and including Angel Station. I suppose my favorite is Solar Fire from that period but they all have nice things going on.
(I even had Pretty Flamingo  on 45 back in the old days. Big smile)

Edited by dr wu23 - March 30 2016 at 13:33
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 14:51
Been aware of him for many years but only own Solar Fire.  When I was a kid, Quinn the Eskimo was one of my fave top 40 radio hits (still is) - along with Blinded by the Light.  

Funny story, when I was in high school the "cool thing" to do was go to the local junior college planetarium for this show called, "The Cosmic Concert".  It lasted about an hour and a half and they'd play music through this killer sound system and make the lasers dance along inside the planetarium dome.  Very 70's.  One night me and some friends (all Led Zep maniacs) went to the show.  One of the songs they played was Father of Day, Father of Night and afterwards all my friends were saying, "you're into that synthesizer stuff, who was that?"  Nobody called it prog rock back then...so I poured through all the bins at my local Tower Records until I found the song.  Unfortunately, the rest of the album has always paled in comparison for me to such a great song.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 19:17
Am I the only one who was initiated to (prog) rock by Manfred Mann's Earthband?
I think I was 12 when my father played Watch on a tape in the car and I was totally blown away. My father wasn't very interested in music and told me that this was Elton John (who actually was on the other side of the tape), so I invested some of my tight pocket money into Elton John's Greatest Hits which wasn't so great.
But then I bought Nightingales and Bombers which I still hold dear as a top 10 album. It may not have revolutionised anything but it is just intelligent enjoyable very solid very well played rock music, with a 100% focus on MUSIC and not on any kind of image, stardom, message etc.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 07:35
I was on a concert once with MMEB, they wer support band for Toto, and during the song Blinded by the Light, the Sun came out from behind the rain heavy clouds, and blinded us with its light, and there was  rainbow over the stage. 
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 07:54
The Earth Band made some great albums, Especially Solar Fire, Chance and Somewhere in Afrika
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 07:54
The Earth Band made some great albums, Especially Solar Fire, Chance and Somewhere in Afrika
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 11:51

The Good Earth!  I recently snagged an original LP copy complete with the certificate verifying my ownership of a small parcel of land in Wales.....whadda record.  The first self-titled album also should be more recognized as the classic it is.....don't know how that record has remained so obscure. 

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 13:24
the interplay between guitar and moog on Nightingale and Bombers (song) is utterly fantastic. Love the moog, so playfull.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 13:52
Am I the only one who thinks the Chapter Three albums are more 'interesting' than the Earth Band ones...?
Stern Smile
Haquin
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 15:11
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks the Chapter Three albums are more 'interesting' than the Earth Band ones...?
Stern Smile
i really like the guitar tone of Earth Band, but i will check out more closly the Chapter Three stuff, heard some of it long ago, it was intreaging.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 15:28
MMEB are one of those bands we never discuss on here, but we should. They are fantastic: far better than some bands people drone on and on about endlessly.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 15:39
They certainly make me smile when i listen to them. such a Joybringer.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 16:10
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

MMEB are one of those bands we never discuss on here, but we should. They are fantastic: far better than some bands people drone on and on about endlessly.

I agree.....and are you referring to Tales of Topographic Lotions....?

Wink
Haquin
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2016 at 04:50
Visionary Mountains is among the best songs i have ever heard
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 10:09
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

Agreed. 
I have many favourites and they fit many moods.  But if forced to take only one, it would be Glorified Magnified.
cheers...

Same, as this was the first album of his band I got, not that I was not aware of his work ... who hadn't heard of Mighty Quinn, for example?

I always liked how he did a version of his favorite writer of songs, and it was Bob Dylan, until he did Bruce, and then even did Mike Heron. And all of these versions were excellent and ended up being hits ... this version of Bruce's song is way better than Bruce's band in my book.

Wait ... waiter, waiter ... there's a fly in my soup!

Hug
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2016 at 14:58
bump
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 15:26
In the beginning Visionary Mountains was my favourite song. Over the years Time Is Right turned out to be my number 1 Earthband song. It has just the right mixture of solid rock and complexity, familiarity and innovation. I like Mick Rogers' no frills rock voice a lot, all the instruments are exactly to the point and the mix is as if they're playing in my room. What a great piece of music!
The whole album is so understated and so top quality.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>