FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteve Wilson solo albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steve Wilson solo albums
    Posted: April 07 2016 at 10:48
I love early Porcupine Tree but I just cannott get into any of his solo albums.
Anyone else in the same boat?
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 11:01
Only heard The Raven that Refused to Sing which I like but it seems to lack longevity somehow. Have to wait a long time before I really enjoy hearing it again.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 11:51
I'm somewhat of a fanboy. It's not that a love everything he puts out, but I always enjoy the music.
Having said that I still favour PT's early psych years to just about anything that came after.
Up the Downstair, Voyage 34, The Sky Moves Sideways, Metanoia, Transmission IV, Signify and Coma Divine

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 11:56
I like most of his solo albums probably more than Metal-phase PT but not as much as early PT.
AliensAteMyBass View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 13:15
I'm a huge admirer of PT and find a lot of references in his solo work. I don't expect it is to everyone's taste but I have rarely found it 'immediate'. After repeated listening, there are a lot of subtleties that appear. Perhaps give it another go and listen anew. Only a suggestion though, would be awful if we all had the same taste.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 17:56
I'm the opposite - Love SW solo output but PT never did it for me.

At all.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 18:04
I like both, but it seems that the talent of the other members of PT made the music a little different, and richer in instrumentation, dynamics, arrangements, etc.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 18:10
Originally posted by Cambus741 Cambus741 wrote:

I love early Porcupine Tree but I just cannott get into any of his solo albums.
Anyone else in the same boat?

you are not alone... he joined here once looking to soak up some hero worship and my god how the tighty whities flew until the local law enforcement (the AR team hitsquad/thugs) stepped in and  sent him away in a barrage of rotten fruit LOL

Edited by micky - April 07 2016 at 18:10
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
ginodi View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 19:39
Fanboy...worshiper...don't care. I love them all.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 20:22
Yep, all good.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 22:27
Porcupine Tree is good, but I have liked more his solo stuff... at least Grace for Drowning, and even more The Raven. Hand Cannot Erase has some great songs, but I still prefer the previous albums. The one album from Porcupine Tree that I do love is Coma Divine... however, I still need to get some other of the pre-Gavin albums.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 23:09
I prefer the PT stuff.....early to mid period......In Absentia was the last one to really interest me though there are a few good tracks on Deadwing.
The solo albums just don't resonate with me but again there are some nice tracks here and there.

I'm waiting for him to re-master Tales From Topographic Notions....then maybe I can get into it.
Wink

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2016 at 05:46
PT 1989-1999 > Insurgentes > Lightbulb Sun > PT 2005-2007 > Hand.Cannot.Erase > Raven... > Grace for Drowning > In Absentia > The Incident
Bigger on the inside.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2016 at 06:32
They're both "meh" . . .
I gave PT and SW a shot a few times, and neither rang any bells.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2016 at 09:49
I enjoy all his solo efforts. Insurgentes I never got on initial release, took a year at least......Then GFD took me probably couple months to soak in, after that it was simply excellent music. The Raven is brilliant......HCE is accessible and is easily liked or not so much, I can see that, it's a different production and performance.

What I really enjoy is his stage presence, seen him 2x now live and it gets better each time. He is very meticulous with his music...I like that.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2016 at 09:53
I quite like both, though I am partial to the early PT albums (including On The Sunday Of Life, which I think has some of his most interesting music) as well as Grace and Raven.  Personally, while I like it well enough, Hand Cannot Erase is far too similar to late period PT and seems like he's gone full circle back to PT stuff, IMO.

I do not consider myself a "fan boy" though, as I'm not one of those who thinks he can do no wrong.  I also don't really consider anything by PT to be progressive rock (Grace and Raven qualify though, IMO).
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2016 at 10:28
If The Incident was an SW album and Grace For Drowning a PT album then I could say I like all P Tree stuff and most of his solo work is not for me. I think with P Tree is the band had considerable imput into the collective sound and it really jelled for me - took a while though. I first heard Sky Move Sideways  mid to late 90s and thoughtit a PF retread. People who didn't know PF (there are many) took it on it's own merits. Still got into P Tree in an unusual way - mainly via bootlegs. Got the albums - all the newer versions too - took ages to get a cheap copy of Lightbulb Sun. But as a live act these guys were good and there were one or two hilarious moments e.g SW ripping Barbieri over his image when said keyboard player was with Japan.

Which led to meeting ex Japan singer Sylvian, then Fripp (who did those fantastic albums with the Japan singer). He (SW) even guested as guitarist at a Mick Karn / Barbieri gig. Notable for being almost entirely instrumental and a lovely soundboard,if you find it, download it.

He has solo stuff (or non-P Tree) during the P Tree years. Some ok but I admit I bought 'em 'cause P, Tree did well for me.

Terrific live band and the all;bums they made are treasures. I do think if P Tree had been around in the 1970s or even significant in even the 80s... (maybe...) they'd be as revered publicly as Pink Floyd. But I think they are still outside the mainstream. Like most rock is now...

Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2016 at 12:51
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I prefer the PT stuff.....early to mid period......In Absentia was the last one to really interest me though there are a few good tracks on Deadwing.
The solo albums just don't resonate with me but again there are some nice tracks here and there.

I'm waiting for him to re-master Tales From Topographic Notions....then maybe I can get into it.
Wink

I wish he would do the first two Mostly Autumn  albums.
The production quality really let those albums down
backtothegarden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2016 at 15:45
I like most of the stuff he's done from In Absentia and forward.  I tried Lightbulb Sun, and some of the earlier material, and it didn't really do anything for me.

Deadwing was my point of entry with Porcupine Tree.  I got it around the time it came out, and I think it's the best thing he's done to date.  Arriving Somewhere But Not Here is one of my all time favorite songs.

Like most have expressed here, The Incident never caught on with me.  I do think The Blind House was an excellent track, though.  Grace for Drowning never caught on with me, either, though Postcard is a favorite of mine.  There's at least something good on every one of his albums (from In Absentia on, anyway).

Here's my hierarchy:
Deadwing>Hand.Cannot.Erase>Raven>In Absentia>Insurgentes>4 1/2>Fear of a Blank Planet>The Incident>Grace for Drowning.
Vikingrat9966 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2016 at 17:03
These days I like his solo stuff more. The early P Tree filled a space i needed at the time but it's hard to go back and get excited.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>