Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHi!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi!
    Posted: April 09 2016 at 16:55
Well, I didn't notice I could introduce myself, so let me say: Hi! 

I started listening to prog as a part of therapy to cure my tone-deafness, I wanted to play guitar really badly, and I was told that "Wish You Were Here" would be a good album to make my condition better. Now I do play that gorgeous six-string instrument (but I'm moving to bass) for about two years, and I discovered I'm also rythmically disabled. Oh well.

As to writing about music, I share Frank Zappa's point of view, as he once stated: "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture". So I won't do that, as results wouldn't be that great due to my conditions. I hope I can contribute to this forum.

emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 17:29
Hello, Affek!  Prog has never cured my tone-deafness, but I enjoy it anyway.  Welcome to the club!
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2016 at 17:46
I've been 'playing' (in generous terms) bass for a couple years now. Only recently have I found that playing riffs solely to bass drum patterns has helped incredibly. (Using slow beat per minute drum tracks on YouTube)
...Aaaaaand I'd link you to the track that I've had most success with but it's been deleted.
This one seems alright though:

At any rate, hope you like it here! You definitely don't need to know technical music terms and stuff to be able to post here (though you'll pick a few up over time). What are some of your favourite bands by the way? Zappa and Floyd?
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2016 at 07:29
LOL  the takeover continues... Clap

welcome to the forum man. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Affek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2016 at 07:49
Well, thank you for the warm welcome. Thanks for the drum pattern, I will use it after I buy my own bass guitar (that will happen around May). As I forgot to mention my favourite bands, here they are - I'm rather fascinated by Jethro Tull, I find Jeffrey Hammond extraoridinarily interesting, as he is one of the most enigmatic figures in rock music with getting three songs dedicated to him, then joining the band with his friends and calling it a day, almost disappearing from publicity. I'm also fond of Captain Beefheart, The Who and early Queen recordings. Used to love Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa, now the former is kind of archetypical prog band and the latter some sort of a philosophy god for me.

Edited by Affek - April 10 2016 at 07:50
kjtheguitarist View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2016 at 12:59
Originally posted by Affek Affek wrote:

Well, thank you for the warm welcome. Thanks for the drum pattern, I will use it after I buy my own bass guitar (that will happen around May). As I forgot to mention my favourite bands, here they are - I'm rather fascinated by Jethro Tull, I find Jeffrey Hammond extraoridinarily interesting, as he is one of the most enigmatic figures in rock music with getting three songs dedicated to him, then joining the band with his friends and calling it a day, almost disappearing from publicity. I'm also fond of Captain Beefheart, The Who and early Queen recordings. Used to love Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa, now the former is kind of archetypical prog band and the latter some sort of a philosophy god for me.

Welcome to the forum!
I like Jethro Tull too. My favorite is "A".
Also like Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa as well.
Nice to meet you.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2016 at 16:42
Witamy na forum, kolego! Wink
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2016 at 19:04

Now I do play that gorgeous six-string instrument (but I'm moving to bass) for about two years, and I discovered I'm also rythmically disabled. Oh well.

Everyone is rhythmically disabled once they start playing an instrument and find out just how tricky it is to keep steady time, especially with other players.   Tone deafness is a bigger challenge, but I'm sure your rhythmic sense will improve.   Play with a drummer, maybe get a metronome.  

Best of luck to you!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Cookie13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 02:41
Greetings from... Poland Smile!
"Clipside of the pinkeye flight
I'm not the percent you think survives
I need sanctuary in the pages of this book."

Son Et Lumiere - The Mars Volta
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 08:23
Hi! Welcome to here! Enjoy your stay!
Affek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 10:37
The problem for me is, I don't hear any relation between drummer and the rest of the band. While I know what does the bass do with rythm, I can't feel the drum beat.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 15:43
Originally posted by kjtheguitarist kjtheguitarist wrote:

Welcome to the forum!
I like Jethro Tull too. My favorite is "A".
Also like Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa as well.
Nice to meet you.

you guys need to check out Little Ian's internet prog radio show.. more Jethro Dull than you can shake a stick at! ClapLOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply