Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 15:39
RIP Prince, the true King of Pop. Cry

Gonna blast the classics tomorrow.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 15:48
yeah that one hurts.. I was never a 'fan' of it. My best friend as teen was NUTS about him and his music.

Regardless of styles and perferences and all that sh*t... he was immensely talented, put out frickin great music, and more than that perhaps.. viewed through the lens of this site and the eggheads that generally populate it.  He was immensely progressive in how he saw music.  He was never content with churning out hits but was an artist who followed his muse and could care less if his fans followed him. With his talent they did. But his goal was never to sell records and be a star.

RIP sir...  much respect and admiration here.

as a side note.  can't wait for the 'Did I kill Prince' thread.  I was working this morning.. obviously before the news broke.. and caught myself .. completely out of the blue.. singing Cream. Oh ohh...  better stop singing Willie. His eventual passing with devastate me like no other could, only George Harrison has had more of an spiritual and personal attachment to me as a musician.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 15:54
Been on other music sites that are just blowing up over his passing. Totally shocked at this news....An absolute genius with his music and talent. I always find myself spinning his records on a regular basis, just great music.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 16:16
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Some of the stuff he's been doing for the past 15-20 years is actually kinda proggy but the only way you can hear it is to buy the CDs.
Any tips in particular? I only know the early stuff.  

I don't own any of them; I believe Aussie-Byrd-Brother has some of them and can comment better than I can. You can hear 30 second samples here:

Start with The Rainbow Children from 2001 and work your way up to his last album.

ETA: OMG, you can't hear the samples anymore! At least you can still read the reviews. Prince is an anomaly on the internet as you cannot hear almost any thing he did.

Edited by zravkapt - April 21 2016 at 16:19
Magma America Great Make Again
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 16:50
Saw for the first time Purple Rain on TV the other evening, and he wasn't that bad. I understand he was supposed to have been a straight up, matter-of-fact guy. Same age as Michael and me, to boot. There by the grace of God ...
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 17:22
2016 blows monkey balls.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 17:25
Anyone unsure of his talent only need watch his performance at Superbowl 2007.   The man could rip a catgut like no one's business.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 20:30
First Avenue tonight....holding a gathering for fans and playing his music.  It is going to be nuts down there, it's still early! 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 20:30
Hi,

Always admired a lot of his work ... and "Purple Rain" is one of the best rock films ever made, where the music is not incidental, but an integral part of the film ... instead of anything else.

A lot of folks will miss him, when he gave them a start ... not to mention how many women he brought to the stage from day one ... 

RIP. Great legacy of very fine music ... and I bet he has 100 hours more in the can!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 20:32
RIP

I wasn't a fan but I did just hear something on a recent thing that he did that I wished he would explore some of that style more.  It would have been cool if he also just made music without the modern pop style that he was known for.  It was interesting electronic stuff. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 21:23
Sorry if I'm boring anyone...but there some cool photos on local sites.

It is kind of neat that a faint rainbow broke tonight over Paisley Park for the fans who gathered.  However, most of the fans are downtown at First Avenue.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 21:31
RIP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
bankstatement View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 22:50
I had heard he was sick for the past week or so, but had no clue it was going to get this bad. I'm still in shock. He was an incredibly creative guy and I couldn't imagine going through life without hearing his "Purple Rain" or "Sign 'O' the Times" albums. Been playing his music all day, and it's remarkable how relevant his music and image still are today.

RIP, and thanks for all the great music.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 23:52

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Some of the stuff he's been doing for the past 15-20 years is actually kinda proggy but the only way you can hear it is to buy the CDs.

Any tips in particular? I only know the early stuff.<span style="line-height: 1.4;">  </span>

I don't own any of them; I believe Aussie-Byrd-Brother has some of them and can comment better than I can. You can hear 30 second samples here:

Start with The Rainbow Children from 2001 and work your way up to his last album.

ETA: OMG, you can't hear the samples anymore! At least you can still read the reviews. Prince is an anomaly on the internet as you cannot hear almost any thing he did.

I recall Mike (Aussie Byrd....) playing me NEWS (?) in the car and he had me guess who it was .....
I immediately said "Wow ! A new one from GonG !! ".........
No, it was Prince
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2016 at 01:47
Afficher limage dorigine

I played the Batdance this morning. A real progressive funk track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUmce-zeaAA
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2016 at 08:16
My all-time favorite line about Prince, by the movie critic Pauline Kael (in her review of Purple Rain):

"I'm disposed to like Prince because he is, as a friend of mine put it, 'the fulfillment of everything that people like Jerry Falwell say rock 'n' roll will do to the youth of America'."
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2016 at 08:28
So many memories . . . so many connections . . . My wife has been a freaking fanatical fan of his since she was a teenager--has everything he ever published, plays it ALL THE TIME, and watches all the bootleg live vids of his performances.

I cannot deny that music flows through the man. He's like a Bach or Mozart, he's so prolific. So many ideas are flowing through him all day long. I am told by friends that he has thousands and thousands of hours of unpublished music--wrote/recorded a song a day for years in his life. 

Yes, he will be missed. But, like Hendrix and J.D. Salinger, we'll be hearing previously unreleased material from his vaults for years to come.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2016 at 08:33
P.S. I am not sure if I've ever seen a guitar player who plays so much as if the guitar is an actual appendage of his body--every note, every emotion conjured up from his guitar looks and feels as natural and perfect a "voicing" as one's voice or facial expressions. 

If you EVER have the chance to see the movie of the Concert for George (Harrison) that Eric Clapton, family and friends put together the year after George died, you've GOT to check out the guitar solo that Prince performs on "My Guitar Gently Weeps"--I seriously doubt if anyone--and I mean ANYONE--could put that kind of technique and emotion into a guitar solo. The consummate entertainer.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2016 at 08:41
^ My sister showed me this - Prince was mind-blowing. He was almost like the Zappa of the RnB, soul, funk and Pop world.............I never actually went for the guy, but he was bleedin' talented. Another MASSIVE loss to the music/entertainment world.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2016 at 08:58
RIP.....not a fan per se but did like the odd song here and there....but I had no idea he did fusion and prog related things like this.......Thumbs Up

Edited by dr wu23 - April 22 2016 at 08:58
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>